none
Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window

Question

• Hi,

Also having the same "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook.  Cannot open the Outlook Window" issue.

Did an Office installation repair, deleted the OST's to create new ones, used the /resetnavpane switch, created a new profile, even with a new user, nothing worked.

I can run outlook with /safe with no issue but it does not remember the views etc. after I close it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sunday, March 27, 2011 9:16 AM

All replies

• The safe mode switch has some additional options to help you isolate where to look.  The options are:

/safe Starts Outlook without extensions, Reading Pane, or toolbar customization.
    /safe:1 Starts Outlook with the Reading Pane off.
    /safe:2 Starts Outlook without checking mail at startup.
    /safe:3 Starts Outlook with extensions turned off, but listed in the Add-In Manager.
    /safe:4 Starts Outlook without loading Outcmd.dat (customized toolbars) and *.fav file.

Hi,

Also having the same "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook.  Cannot open the Outlook Window" issue.

Did an Office installation repair, deleted the OST's to create new ones, used the /resetnavpane switch, created a new profile, even with a new user, nothing worked.

I can run outlook with /safe with no issue but it does not remember the views etc. after I close it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sunday, March 27, 2011 1:47 PM
  • /safe:1 - Cannot start Microsoft Outlook.  Cannot open the Outlook Window

/safe:2 - Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using

/safe:3 - Seems to open and work OK

/safe:4 - Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using

So I have a problematic extension?

How do I find out?

Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

This problem can occur when file that maintains the Navigation Pane settings becomes corrupted. This file is called profilename.xml, where profilename is the name of your Outlook profile. Try to fix the problem by Fix it in this KB article or manually fix it if you are using other versions of Outlook program:

Error starting Outlook: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2022778

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com   

Monday, March 28, 2011 7:46 AM
  • Hi,

I've already did the mentioned in the article (please see my original post) but it did not help.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:36 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that the problem persists after trying the steps.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying to completely uninstall and resinstall the Office program.

Before this, please back up your important data, such as PST files to other place to avoid unexpected problems.

Then, uninstall Office from control panel > programs and features. Also, run Fix it from the link below to completely uninstall the program:

How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Then, reboot the computer and try to install the Office program again.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:38 AM
  • That is something I already did a couple of times.

Complte (according to the article) + manual uninstall (files registry keys etc) then tryed various versions including 64Bit to no avail.

I guess a full OS reinstall?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:05 AM
  • Can we take one step back... what version of Microsoft Outlook you are using?  I'm wondering if we just go with a new Outlook mail profile via the mail applet (don't copy it, create new) with a new PST file will let you get up and running and then we work on bringing the data in from the OLD pst file.

Is this something you have already tried?

That is something I already did a couple of times.

Complte (according to the article) + manual uninstall (files registry keys etc) then tryed various versions including 64Bit to no avail.

I guess a full OS reinstall?

Thanks

Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:17 PM
  • Outlook 2010, sorry.

And yes, deleted old profile and created a new one a couple of time, happens even with a new user on the machine.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 6:28 AM
  • So looking at the thread, /safe:3 works.  So lets focus on 3rd party applications installed on the system.  You need review everything that integrates with Office 2010 and/or uses/protects Outlook data.  This list is far from inclusive, so you really have to look at everything installed on the system.

1) Antivirus/antispam
    2) PDA/Fax software (includes things like iTunes and such)
    3) Adobe Acrobat (Standard/Pro versions not Reader)
    4) Desktop search

What else... oh, you should also let us know if you are using the 32 or 64bit version of Office/Outlook 2010.  Just so you know, the 64-bit version of Outlook does not support the legacy extended mapi extensions.  Therefore if you have stuff installed based that needs the legacy support, your only option is using the 32bit version of Office/Outlook 2010.

Outlook 2010, sorry.

And yes, deleted old profile and created a new one a couple of time, happens even with a new user on the machine.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 3:55 PM
  • The issue happens with both 64b & 32b versions.

What do you mean by look at everything? how do I do that?

Sunday, April 03, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Its better you create new profile & try these commands in run box.

Outlook.exe /safe 
    Outlook.exe /resetnavpane 

Its a working solution.

To get more instructions about this refer the link: 
    http://discusstech.org/forums/topic/error-cannot-start-microsoft-outlook-cannot-open-the-outlook-window

Sunday, May 22, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Its better you create new profile & try these commands in run box.

Outlook.exe /safe 
    Outlook.exe /resetnavpane 
    Its a working solution.
    No, it is not. Read the thread before posting.
    /resetnavpane has already been tried without success and /safe is only a troubleshooting step and not a permanent solution.

Steven Moede was on the right track here; the issue is very likely to be caused by a 3rd party add-in. Disable them all and try again. If it works now, enable them 1-by-1 to find the culprit. For instructions see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/88

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Yes but he did not elaborate how exactly I "look at everything".

What do I need to do?

Thanks guys,

Monday, May 23, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Yes but he did not elaborate how exactly I "look at everything".

What do I need to do?

Thanks guys,

Where do you get stuck?
    Instructions for manually disabling your add-ins can be found in the link I gave you;
    http://www.msoutlook.info/question/88

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:50 PM
  • I renamed the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem to "Windows Messaging Subsystem OLD" (no need to do anything in HKLM in my case).  Then I was able to open the "Mail" Control Panel and create a new profile. 
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:54 PM