none
Unattended Installation of Project 2010

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to make an unattended installation to be used for MDT but I am unable to create the msp.

The version we have is for a Lab environment and we have a Lab key but this isn't a Volume license key/edition. So I cant run setup.exe /admin as there are no files to run.

Is there another way of doing it otherwise we could be in trouble.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:18 PM

Answers

• Thanks thats what I was looking for.

I seem to have an issue and I dont know if its just something I have done wrong or missing.

Every time I run the setup it gets to the "choose the installation you want" page and I have to click "install now" so its not silent.

No noticed a command to tell it what to install and I expect it to just do a basic install if I have everything set up correctly.

<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

<PIDKEY Value="**" />

update

Fixed my issue, it wasn't reading the config.xml correctly so I had to put in the same folder at setup.exe. Not sure why this made any difference but it work.s

• Marked as answer by David Wolters Monday, August 16, 2010 1:25 PM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:47 AM

All replies

• Anyone any ideas?
    Friday, August 13, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Hello,

I am not sure what kind of customizations you are trying to make to your Project installation, but most customizations (including unattended) can be achieved via the config.xml as well.

The OCT tool is only available if you have VL Source and Keys, however you can use the config.xml to change the Display Type to Basic or None, and use the PIDKEY element to specify the CD key.

Here is the reference for the config.xml http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179195.aspx#ElementPIDKey

(Note: remember to remove the comments <-- and --> when making changes to any config.xml line, and do not modify any other xml other than the config.xml)

Hope this helps

Tarak Chakraborty - MSFT
    Office Deployment Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/

Friday, August 13, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Thanks thats what I was looking for.

I seem to have an issue and I dont know if its just something I have done wrong or missing.

Every time I run the setup it gets to the "choose the installation you want" page and I have to click "install now" so its not silent.

No noticed a command to tell it what to install and I expect it to just do a basic install if I have everything set up correctly.

<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

<PIDKEY Value="**" />

update

Fixed my issue, it wasn't reading the config.xml correctly so I had to put in the same folder at setup.exe. Not sure why this made any difference but it work.s

• Marked as answer by David Wolters Monday, August 16, 2010 1:25 PM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hello! I have the same issue with buttons "Install now" and "Customize" while silent installation. I deploy MS Project 2010 via WDS and MDT.

I have corrected the config.xml file:

<Configuration Product="PrjPror">
    <!-- <Display Level="full" CompletionNotice="yes" SuppressModal="no" AcceptEula="no" /> -->
    <!-- <Logging Type="standard" Path="%temp%" Template="Microsoft Office Project Professional Setup(*).txt" /> -->
    <!-- <USERNAME Value="Customer" /> -->
    <!-- <COMPANYNAME Value="MyCompany" /> -->
    <!-- <INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" /> -->
    <!-- <LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" /> -->
    <!-- <LIS SOURCELIST="\\server1\share\Office;\\server2\share\Office" /> -->
    <!-- <DistributionPoint Location="\\server\share\Office" /> -->
    <!-- <OptionState Id="OptionID" State="absent" Children="force" /> -->
    <!-- <Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="IfNeeded" /> -->
    <!-- <Command Path="%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe" Args="/i \\server\share\my.msi" QuietArg="/q" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" /> -->
    <AddLanguage Id="match" />
    <AddLanguage Id="ru-ru" ShellTransform="Yes" />
    <Display Level="None" CompletionNotice="No" SuppressModal="No" AcceptEula="Yes" />
    <COMPANYNAME Value="MyCompany" />
    <PIDKEY Value="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />
    <Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never" />
    < /Configuration>

And after running setup.exe I've got no screens except those buttons. Could you help me how to prevent appearing of that screen?
    Thanks!

PS. While running setup.exe /admin command, the error screen appears. And so I think that a single way is working with the config.xml file. Copying the config.xml file to  the setup.exe directory doesn't help in my case and config.xml file was read correctly while installation.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:07 AM