none
Outlook PRF ProfileName Environment Variable %username% not wanted on 2007

Question

• I am attempting to upgrade our fleet of PCs with Office 2002 to Office 2007 and am stuck when dealing with the Profile Name that is set using our PRF file.  The PRF file contains the line:

ProfileName=%username%

The Microsoft Article 306932 ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306932 ) refers to how in Office 2002 %USERNAME% is not interpreted as the Environment Variable.  Unfortunately, when our Office 2002 was rolled out this Profile name was used so all existing users have " %username% " as their Outlook profile.

I would love to change this in Outlook 2007 however we have a major application that now requires the Outlook User Profile Name to = "%username%".  I cant change this so I am trying to ensure the new PRF file forces the text "%username%" as the outlook profile.

I have tried the following without success (lets Pretend the username is JoeCitizen):

ProfileName="%username%"  --> This results in profile = "JoeCitizen"

ProfileName="%"username"%"  --> This results in profile = %"username"%

ProfileName=%"username"%  --> This results in profile = %"username"%

Does anyone have any clues on this problem?

Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:01 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately there is no fix here.  I will apply the 2 reg fixes across all PCs as follows:

Reg COPY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\%%username%%" "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\NewProfileName" /s

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles]
    "DefaultProfile"="NewProfileName"

(the second Line refers to the Reg setting that I will add using Regedit /s *.reg)

This will allow me to use the PRF file with the following reference

ProfileName=NewProfileName

I have to get the other application to point to this new profile also.

Friday, May 06, 2011 6:10 AM