none
ABSconfig Tool appears to not be working properly

Question

• Hi, I am having an issue with the ABSConfig.exe tool, in that when I make certain changes to it, it does not keep all of the changes once I go back into the tool.  For example, if I uncheck the "is this Attribute required" checkbox for telephoneNumber, homePhone or mobile, hit apply and exit the tool, when I re-open the tool, these checkboxes still have a checkmark in them.  Other changes to the ABSConfig tool stay in place, like putting a checkmark in the Include in Devices for givenName, sn, etc.

Also, this issue only seems to be in the latest ABSConfig tool version 4.0.7577.172.  I confirmed with another client that their older version 4.0.7577.0 tool works fine.  As soon as they upgraded to the 4.0.7577.172 version, they displayed the same issue.

Thanks!

Mike Heider

Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,Mike,

Have you forced the new ABS configuration replicated successfully?You can run Update-CsAddressbook on the Front End server which is runing ABServer to force the setting take effect.(Here is a great article for your reference)

Would you please verify that the contacts card display as you set?If the items show correctly in the Lync client then your setting have been applied.I have tested the ABSConfig tool on my Lab and I can reproduce the issue as you,maybe the items will be automatically restored to the default appearance when you open the tool but in fact your setting have taken effect.

Also  please check you have installed the latest update packages for your Lync server?You can check it here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2493736

In order to use the latest version of ABSConfig tool you need update the Lync server including database server to the latest version.Please try to uninstall the currect ABSConfig tool and have Lync server fully patched then reinstall the latest ABSConfig tool again.

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

******************************************************************************************************************************************************* Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community memb
    Monday, February 06, 2012 3:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Uninstall the old resource kit which has ABSConfig Tool Version 4.0.7577.172.

Download and install the updated Resource Kit link: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21165

Update the Backend SQL Database with the following command:

Install-CsDatabase –Update –ConfiguredDatabases –SqlServerFqdn <SQL Server FQDN> -UseDefaultSQLPaths

Check if this works ...

Regards Sandeep Swarup S
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 11:06 PM
  • The 7577.172 is the latest version, at least on the download link you provided:

Version: 7577.172 Date Published: 12/1/2011
    Language: English

KB Articles: KB2621857
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 11:31 PM
  • Hi,Mike,

Have you forced the new ABS configuration replicated successfully?You can run Update-CsAddressbook on the Front End server which is runing ABServer to force the setting take effect.(Here is a great article for your reference)

Would you please verify that the contacts card display as you set?If the items show correctly in the Lync client then your setting have been applied.I have tested the ABSConfig tool on my Lab and I can reproduce the issue as you,maybe the items will be automatically restored to the default appearance when you open the tool but in fact your setting have taken effect.

Also  please check you have installed the latest update packages for your Lync server?You can check it here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2493736

In order to use the latest version of ABSConfig tool you need update the Lync server including database server to the latest version.Please try to uninstall the currect ABSConfig tool and have Lync server fully patched then reinstall the latest ABSConfig tool again.

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

******************************************************************************************************************************************************* Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community memb
    Monday, February 06, 2012 3:29 AM
  • Hi Sharon, thanks for the posts.

Another colleague of mine actually has an open ticket with MS on this and here is their response.

FYI:  MS response

I performed some search in my side and found that this issue seems to be
    a known issue that is currently investigated(some fields is empty that leads to
    the problem). Unluckily, no progress is made on this progress. We might need
    some patience to wait until the issue is fixed.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:21 PM