none
Outlook 2010 : Creates .tmp.cvr files on startup (but dosn't delete them)

Question

• Hello

I've noticed that Outlook 2010 is creating a 0 byte file in the form CVRXXXX.tmp.cvr each time it's launched.

Files are created in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

However these are not being deleted which leads to a large number of .cvr files in \temp over time.

Does anyone know:
    - What is the reason for these files?
    - Why dosn't Outlook delete them?(!)

I checked and this happens even in "Safe" mode so I know it's not an add-in thats causing this.

Thanks
    -AL

Friday, April 22, 2011 11:33 AM

Answers

• Evidently "CVR" stands for "Cockpit Voice Recorder". Files are part of Windows Error Reporting attemtps to recover steps before a crash.

These are collected (usually with a minidump) when a crash happens and sent to MS if the option is selected.

Looks to me like there is a bug with Outlook not deleting these (IMHO it should).

-AL

• Marked as answer by Alistg Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is properly affected by malware. Try to delete them and scan the system for malware.

For your reference:

http://www.exterminate-it.com/malpedia/file/CVRE517.tmp.cvr

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, April 25, 2011 8:04 AM
  • Hello

Thanks for the reply. I also saw that page before posting, but I dont think this is the cause.

Reasons: 
    1)  AV is present / up-to-date and not reporting issues
    2) The files / registry locations listed for that issues are not present

Therefore I'm sure this is not the cause and must be due to something else.

Best regards
    -AL

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:35 AM
  • I just noticed someone else posted with what looks like an identical issue:

Outlook 2010 .cvr files
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/outlook-2010-cvr-files/ec6781f0-7948-4035-9959-9bae73de6da4

This backs-up my initial view that it's Outlook which is creating these and Outlook which isn't cleaning them up.

So - just to repeat the question:
    - What is the reason for these files?
    - Why dosn't Outlook delete them?(!)

Come on Microsoft - you wrote the product - surley you can provide us a better answer than this!

Thanks
    -AL

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Evidently "CVR" stands for "Cockpit Voice Recorder". Files are part of Windows Error Reporting attemtps to recover steps before a crash.

These are collected (usually with a minidump) when a crash happens and sent to MS if the option is selected.

Looks to me like there is a bug with Outlook not deleting these (IMHO it should).

-AL

• Marked as answer by Alistg Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:24 AM
  • I agree. Is Microsoft just going to leave this junk lying around or are they actually going to fix this bug at some point? It's been over a year since this bug was reported!?
    • Proposed as answer by Donn Edwards Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:48 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alistg Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:17 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:48 AM
  • Agreed. Outlook is one of the worst pieces of %$#@ software I have had the misfortune to use. Have used several versions of Outlook and I must say, am surprised to discover the same bugs in the 2010 version that plaged the earlier versions. Not only does it leave junk files lying around, it crashes unexpectedly bumping heads with either ntdll.dll or msvcr90.dll This is outragious! 
    • Edited by davevelo Friday, November 25, 2011 1:30 AM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 1:29 AM
  • C:\Windows\Temp has a file limit of 65536 so these .CVRs created by Outlook and subsequently .tmp and .ps1 files created by Powershell etc may not be deleted either and eventually cause various issues.

Create a .bat file to remove .tmp, .cvr, .ps1 or whatever type of file and set a Scheduled Task regularly to remove it.

Easy.

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:41 PM