none
The error "The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your Macro security settings" appears when I open MS Word after updating Windows.

Question

• So I have to click x twice at the top right corner of this error, then it disappears. When I open one of the documents, I have the same error again and have to close it again. When I close MS word, I have this error: "Automationn error. Unspecified error" under MS Visual Basic. When opening MS Word attachment in email, another error: "The command cannot be performed because a dialogue box is open. Click OK, then close open dialog boxes to continue"on the top of the first error above appears. I click x for the first error then click x twice for the error on the top of it. Then I can open the document. When I close the attachment, the same error above that appears when I close MS Word as explained at the beginning appears. What should be done? I had another similar trouble when I updated Windows, so I had to remove something. Now after updating Windows again, I have this another trouble again.  

• Edited by macrovisual Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:10 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This problem may causes by Add-in or Global template(Normal.dotm).

To verify this, Start Word in Safe Mode, Press and hold Ctrl key to start Word, if the problem does not appear in Word safe mode, you can follow these steps to determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

1. Click File menu, click Options Add-ins, click Go button in the Manage: COM Add-ins.
    2. Check if there has any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.
    3. Close the Microsoft Word and restart it.
    4. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart Microsoft Word, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

If the problem still persists in Word safe mode, you can follow these steps rename Global template(Normal.dotm):

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1. Exit Word 2010
    2. Click Start
    3. In the Start Search box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:

%userprofile%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates 
    4. Right-click Normal.dotm, and then click Rename
    5. Type OldNormal.dotm, and then press ENTER.
    6. Close Windows Explorer.
    7. Start Word 2010.

Microsoft Windows XP:  

1. Exit Word 2010
    2. Click Start.
    3. In the Start Search box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:

%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
    4. Right-click Normal.dotm, and then click Rename.
    5. Type OldNormal.dotm, and then press ENTER.
    6. Close Windows Explorer.
    7. Start Word 2010.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:41 AM
  • When I started MS Word in safe mode, it didn't show the blank document. But there wasn't the starting error message. I opened some document and didn't have the starting error message, either. When I closed it, there wasn't the ending error also. 

So I assumed the MS Word in safe mode worked and I followed the first instruction in the same safe mode and found out there isn't any add-ins at all(Also checked MS Word with the normal mode and there isn't any add-ins, either). What should be done then?

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Hi Macrovisual,

Please check the following link, I solved the same issue following the instructions:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wordonenotesupport/archive/2012/08/16/quot-unspecified-automation-error-quot-after-applying-ms12-060.aspx

Regards, 

Friday, August 17, 2012 11:32 PM
  • Hello, ducheus,

Mine is Windows XP.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Hi Marcovisual,

Please try to follow the steps in this article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

If you are using Word 2007 or later version, you can run fix it tool fix this problem.

If not, you can follow the manual steps troubleshoot problem that occur when you start Word.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:52 AM
  • I used "Fix it" for 2007 Word. The problem remains. (Didn't change the printer setting)
    Monday, August 20, 2012 6:44 PM
  • A computer repairman fixed the problem as shown below:

Ran 2 registry fixes to correct a Macro error message when Word was opened. The registry fixes were:

regsvr32.exe /u C:\Window s\System32\MSCOMCTL.OCX

regsvr32.exe C:\Window s\System32\MSCOMCTL.OCX

He used the same method (link below) as before for the similar issue, but this time he said he had to remove two instead of one:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitpro/thread/0b385af0-9856-4cfb-bc48-3369c3ce2ace

• Edited by macrovisual Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:07 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Thank you, my problem was a pdf add on, unchecking it fixed my problem.
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 5:17 PM