none
Enabling PowerPivot for Excel 2013 No COM Add-ins

Question

• Hello!

I recently installed Office 2013 and I was looking to play around with PowerPivot. The office help and everything online says to go to File - Options - Addins - Choose COM Add-ins and enable it But my COM addins window is blank there is nothing there. I have tried un-installing and re-installing but it hasn't made a difference anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The PowerPivot add-in is installed in the following location,see the picture below. Just go to the path and check whether there exists the file.

If you do not see the "PowerPivot Excel Add-in" folder in the ADDINS folder, then find some other one who have this folder in their computer, copy and paste the folder to check the issue.

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The PowerPivot add-in is installed in the following location,see the picture below. Just go to the path and check whether there exists the file.

If you do not see the "PowerPivot Excel Add-in" folder in the ADDINS folder, then find some other one who have this folder in their computer, copy and paste the folder to check the issue.

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Hi there,

I have the exact same problem. New Win8 laptop with new office 2010. I used the free upgrade offer to office 2013 just to benefit from PowerPivot and powerView.

Having the same issue as Paul... I tried to copy the folder from as suggested by Jaynet but unsuccessfull.

"Addin is not an office valid addin"

Any clue???

dispairing situation

thks in advance

Angelo

Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:21 PM
  • Hello!,

Sorry I meant to update this but I forgot to, my issue ended up being I didn't read the fine print that PowerPivot is only available in Office Professional Plus and I had Standard installed. I didn't try copying anything over as Jaynet suggested as I assumed that it wouldn't work (and I don't know anyone that has Pro). I find it kind of odd that any version of 2010 could use PowerPivot and only Pro version can in 2013 but that's just me.

Paul

Friday, February 15, 2013 2:30 AM
  • Thanks for the update.

I agree, odd strategy

Bad luck for both of us.

Friday, February 15, 2013 11:38 PM
  • That is really quite annoying... 

it is also frustrating that I had to find this answer on a forum. You would think maybe this would be information worth advertising. Buy Pro so you can get PowerPivot.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:53 AM
  • I have Office 365 Home Premium and teach among other things, Excel and BI. I have to ask you to tell your marketing and/or product strategy people to permit the add-in to work with other versions of Excel and rethink their PowerPivot in Professional Plus only strategy which means it cannot be bought unless you have an Enterprise license which is ludicrous. 

In the classroom, Microsoft and their Excel/BI strategy over the past 10 years has worked my nerves beyond words and clearly you want your yearly CAL cash flow with the above Enterprise only version with dimensions and hierarchy capabilities.

A brief history of Microsoft and Excel BI:

1. Excel 2003: Cube Wizard, nice: can create a cube, create dimensions and hierarchies at will; slice, dice, roll-up etc. + PivotChart/Trendline for predictive...very nice indeed, inspired.
    2. Excel 2007: Let's get rid of this and make you buy SQLServer to have this capability and only open the cube file from Excel...and get CAL income.
    3. Excel 2010: Let's provide users with a "not ready for prime time" version of Excel 2003 OLAP called PowerPivot where you cannot create dimensions or hierarchies unless...you have SQLServer or other server products with lucrative CALs and of course, you cannot create a cube.
    4. Excel 2013: Let's provide users with PowerPivot, with a dimensions and hierarchy capability, but only in ProPlus which is a multi-license Enterprise solution (CALs = keep the yearly cash flow, flowing) unavailable to home users AND to add insult to injury let's make Excel 2010 and 2013 PowerPivot files incompatible (i.e., save in 2013, will not open in 2010 with same features).

Microsoft, you are regressive, not progressive.

Some of us would actually pay for the Add-In to Office 365 Home Premium - me for instance and I am certain many other users would as well.

Ask your people to change their misguided approach to Excel/BI AND for once in 10 years, get it right like you did in Excel 2003 - if I were in product strategy, the above would be an embarrassment.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:41 AM
  • There appears to be two groups of people in Microsoft. The first group is devoted to the more lucrative relational databases as supported by Microsoft Access and Microsoft SQL Server. The second group is the new kid on the block and is the group that is attempting to compete against other multi-dimensional database vendors (Cognos, Hyperion, etc).

My observation is that since Microsoft removed the pivot table feature out of Access, the first group doesn't much like the second group because they are kind of competing against each other for a sort of market share amongst Microsoft end use customers.

It is unfortunate that end use consumers have to put up with an almost bureaucratic approach that Microsoft is taking as it relates to features such as PowerPivot that should really be universally distributed across all versions of the Office platform. The customers are also confused that they have to conduct a considerable amount of research to figure out what flavor of Office they need to purchase.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:16 PM
  • I have tried doing a full repair to no avail and the folder path above does not lead me to anywhere. I'm under the O365 small business plan which means I have Pro Plus. What could be wrong? 
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 4:53 AM