none
Lync 2013 client and Polycom CX5000 panoramic view

Question

• We are currently in the process of migrating from Lync 2010 to Lync 2013. I have a few users evaluating the Lync 2013 client on our existing Lync 2010 infrastructure. I am finding when using the Polycom CX5000 in this environment that the 2013 client is not displaying the panaromic view. It works fine with the same machine using the 2010 client. Is this a known issue or will this cure itself once I get the 2013 client working on the 2013 infrastructure
    Friday, December 14, 2012 1:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• What version of firmware is installed on the CX5000?  This article shows where to confirm the version number:
    http://blog.schertz.name/2012/02/update-cx5000-rt-firmware

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Friday, December 14, 2012 2:41 PM
  • 1.5.5026.0; 1.6.5000.0 ( 1.6.5000.0 )

Also this appears to be specific to a few laptops as I test more, these have dual display adaptors. One laptop does not display the panoramic view and the other laptop locks the lync client when starting video. both work fine with Lync 2010. I also have installed the latest video drivers for these from the NVIDIA site

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:24 PM
  • After a little more testing I can report the following. the laptop when docked and using the NVIDIA driver has no issues with Lync client 2010 or 2013 and the CX5000. When undocked and using the Intel adapter the Lync 2010 client works fine, the lync 2013 client locks up when starting video. I did disable the NVIDIA adapter and this cured the issue but this is not a solution as I need this laptop to work docked and be able to undock and work stand alone in a conference room equiped with the CX5000.

Any ideas on this

Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:33 AM
  •  Hi,

It may be caused by driver conflict.

Have you tried to reinstall the NVIDIA card driver to have a test?

In addition, please check the graphics hardware requirement for Lync 2013:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj688134.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj688132.aspx

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Friday, December 21, 2012 1:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Friday, December 28, 2012 2:09 AM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 2:15 AM
  • In my testing, I found that the CX5000 with Lync2013 is only partially working. If the call is initiated from a 1st Lync client attached with CX5000 to a 2nd Lync client attached with a normal webcam, then the 2nd Lync client can see panoramic video. But if the call is initiated from the 2nd Lync client to the 1st Lync client, then no panoramic video can be shown. I believe this is a bug that MS needs to fix.

Uni5d

• Edited by CommUnify Saturday, January 05, 2013 4:41 PM
    Saturday, January 05, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Seems I have it down to one laptop

we did install the NVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA site on a couple others that resolved the issue. This one laptop exhibits other issues as well so it seems the NVIDIA drivers has really helped. I did run across issues on other Dell laptops regarding drivers with the Lync 2010 client in the past and found the drivers on Dell's site were of no help but the NVIDIA drivers solved many locking video issues in my clients. I plan to re-image the laptop in question to see if this solves the remaining issue with the Lync 2013 client. I do plan to follow up on CommUnify's scenario to see if I can duplicate that as well to see if there is still an issue with working 2013 clients.. will post updates when I have them

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 3:28 AM
  • I have the same symptoms CommUnify described above, panoramic video working without a problem on Lync 2010 client, same machine with Lync 2013 client does not show panoramic view, it only shows active speaker.

However If the call started from computer connected to CX5000 it works with both clients 2010 and 2013

Video drivers as well as CX5000 are up to date.

Any idea ??

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Just this morning I had a similar issue with Lync 2013 and panoramic video. We had two different laptops side by side (Lenovo X1 and a Dell), both with Lync 2013 clients vs Lync 2013 backend. At first both showed the panoramic view, but as soon as we added content to the meeting, the Dell no longer showed the panoramic view. I did try hiding the stage, and the panoramic view became visible again; show stage and it disappeared again. I also noticed that the Dell had no option for changing to Gallery View (perhaps a separate problem to work on). Panoramic view (and the Gallery view option) showed consistently all the time for the Lenovo. I'll try the firmware update as I am sure it is out of date. But it is curious the experience is different. Both Lync 2013 clients were up to date (March 2013 CU, ver 15.0.4481.1000), but the Dell was 64 bit Office and the Lenovo was 32 bit.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:03 PM
  • I've performed some testing of my own and have replicated this behavior.  If a video call is placed to the 2013 client with the Roundtable/CX5000 attached when answering the call the panorama video is not sent by default for some reason.

A simple workaround right now is to just stop and restart video on the 2013 client with the CX5000 and then the panorama video will be sent regardless of who originally called who.  This behavior only seems to appear in peer-to-peer calls as panorama always send as expected when joining or starting a conference call.

Monday, April 01, 2013 12:57 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

It sounds like you're describing the panoramic view not being 'sent'. When using Lync 2013, what we're not seeing is the panoramic 'sef view' that we see when calling single webcam remote users (who don't have a CX5000). So, with 2010, we always see a 'self view' panoramic, but using 2013, we do not. We have installed the latest firmware, and am curious as if this is by design (not to see yourself), or whether the unit just functions diffrently with 2010. If calling another CX5000, the panoramic from the 'far-end' does work with both clients.

Thanks.

Monday, September 09, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Hi Stuart,

I'm also facing the same problem what you mentioned above. Have you got any solution on this??

Regards

Anees

Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:27 AM
  • That is another known issue, where the panoramic is sent to the other end but the local user does not see the panoramic 'self-view' on their own Lync client.

This is not by design but appears to be a bug in the Lync 2013 client. I have no details on any planned resolution for this from Microsoft at the current time.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:59 PM
  • You need a hotfix.

"Assume that you apply update 2919355 on a Windows 8.1-based computer. You make a Microsoft Lync video conference call by using a Microsoft RoundTable device, Polycom CX5000, or a Polycom CX5000 HD Unified Conference Station. In this situation, Lync displays a distorted panoramic video."

link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2963955/en-us

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:15 PM