none
Excel 2010 DDE problem?

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your question.

We are looking at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 12, 2011 7:40 AM
  • Hello,

The issue is due to legacy files/add-ins that have not been opened and saved in the new client.  You can troubleshoot which files/add-ins are causing this by removing them one by one or by removing them all if you don't use them.  The following KB describes how to troubleshoot startup issues with Excel: Remove old unused XLA add-ins via KB280504 How to troubleshoot startup problems in Excel (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;280504)

Otherwise you can do the following:
    - Open the XLA, go to VBA, save the XLA and close
    - Regarding legacy Personal workbooks: open Excel click View/Unhide, rehide, close, say yes to save.

Best Regards,
    Chad

• Proposed as answer by Chad [MS] Monday, September 12, 2011 3:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Krzysztof J. Obara Monday, September 19, 2011 11:25 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 3:29 PM
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\TCSCConv.SharedAddin.14]
    "Description"="COM addin that convert between Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese."
    "FriendlyName"="Chinese Conversion Addin"
    "LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003

I removed the registry entry as above (I tried removing it peacefully be turning it off in Excel, but it turned of itself after running Excel again) and it seemed (at least that was my perception) that Excel got somewhat faster for a few (3-4) open/close sessions, but after opening and closing numerous spreadsheets the performance seems to have once again degraded to the level before removing the addin.

So it seemed to helped but the problem got back almost instantly.

Then I tried removing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel and its HKCU counterpart but to no avail.

No other add-ins are active and the Addins key is removed. Also there should be no old XLAs. (This one is a fresh install - the old laptop had 2007 upgraded to 2010 so if there was a problem there, then I wouldn't be much surprised.) I checked for them in Program Files and in the user AppData folder.

And it's a shame the automatic FixIts wouldn't run for me :(

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:30 PM
  • You can go to the VBA window and look in the 'Project Explorer' pane on the left to verify whether or not you have a personal.xls, other file, or XLA loaded that could be causing the issue.

Chad Mathiason
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:26 PM
  • No, nothing of interest there... Plain view of three sheets as far as I'm concerned...

I should also add that opening XLSX file after restart is quite quick, but every subsequent run is slower and after opening and closing Excel repeatedly for a few times, the time between clicking on a file and Excel showing gets over 20 seconds.

The problem should not be with start-up programs as I waited 5 minutes after logging in for the start-up to complete before trying to run Excel for the first time.

Also, advised in other forums I tried removing updates for Excel (but not for Office). However, no success there as well.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Dear Krzysztof,

It appears your question falls into the paid support category which requires a more in-depth level of support.  Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone.

Best Regards,
    Chad

Chad Mathiason
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:11 PM
  • One Windows 7 Professional OEM copy is $172 in Poland. I have five of those. One support call is $259. I cannot see why would I waste so much money.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:55 AM