none
Outlook 2010 "could not complete the operation" when forwarding email

Question

• Hi, I have a user who is experiencing the following error. He is opening an email, clicking Forward, adding some text of his own to the top, and clicking Send. When he does, he gets the following error: "Microsoft Outlook could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid." I first had him run the inbox repair tool SCANPST.EXE and it did not help. Then I had him delete his mail profile, create a new one, and re-downloaded the local copy of his mailbox from the Exchange server (he is running in Cached mode). No change, he is still getting the error. Some searching produced the suggestion to rename the existing OUTCMD.DAT, EXTEND.DAT and FRMCAHE.DAT files to force Outlook to create new ones, but I don't know where those files are located, and in any case as far as I can see, it may apply only to older versions of Outlook, or an Outlook client configured to use POP3/IMAP and not Exchange as ours is. Any advice?
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Please check whether there are some add-in application on the client end, and disable them to make a test.
    How about on other box to create a new profile to make a test?

Regards!
    Gavin

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Does the original email contains some URL's ?

I have seen situations where Outlook could not handle those URL's.
    For me it helps when I deleted those URL's when forwarding email.

rgds
    Sven

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestions, I will investigate and report back.
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:53 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Any update for your issue?

Regards!
    Gavin
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 2:17 AM
  • Hi

I am having the exact same problem, did you manage to find a fix?

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:32 AM
  • I deleted the Cached contacts that I was sending to and retyped the email address. This solved my problem.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Hi ChrisDITS,

I am having the same problem, can you share me how to delete the cached contacts?

Thank you.

Friday, October 28, 2011 2:00 AM
  • Hi ChrisDITS,

I am having the same problem, can you share me how to delete the cached contacts?

Thank you.

When you open a new message and start typing in an address, the cached contacts are the suggested addresses Outlook pops up with that could match who you are trying to contact.  To remove the cached contact from the list simply ensure the contact you want to remove is highlighted by using the up and down arrow keys and hitting the Delete key.  Now the contact should no longer be showing up in the list of cached contacts.

Simply manually type their email address back into the To: bar and send the message. 

Hope this helps

Ken

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:53 PM
  • I just started receiving the same error on Outlook 2007 when attempting to send a reply or new email. In my case it only occurs when the recipient address contains parentheses (eg. John Smith (John.Smith@xyz.com)) and can be eliminated by replacing them with greater than and less than characters (eg. "John Smith <john.smith@xyz.com>).
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Hi, This resolves for me by clearing the outlook cache, but after the case builds up again, I see the problem returns. Any other solutions? I have 2 mailboxes on Outlook 2010 one picking mails from Office 365 and other from Exchange 2007
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

In my case, it resovled by clearing the cache. or you need to find out which email ID cause for this issue.

Abrar

Sunday, June 23, 2013 8:08 AM
  • Same problem,

Please,  somebody can help us?

I'm using Office 2010x32bits.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 2:59 PM