none
Outlook 2013 doesn't switch to next or previous email properly after delete (in certain circumstances)

Question

• We've come across a strange instance of Outlook 2013 not following the proper what-to-do-after-a-delete behavior for several of our users. 

One of our users has discovered that if she

1) Sorts emails by something other than Date (like From, or To)

2) Types the first few letters of the person she's looking for (so it skips down to emails from John Doe, for instance, if she types JOH)

3) Uses the Delete icon on the ribbon to delete the selected email

Outlook then skips her back to the very first email in her mailbox, rather than the next email in line.  She's set Outlook to move to the next email in line after a delete (this setting is under Options - Mail - Other).

This setting works properly when she's sorted by Received Date, in or outside of Conversation view.  After testing her machine, I could not get the behavior to occur when I tested with her account / machine, however it wasn't until she demonstrated the issue for me that I realized that when I was deleting emails, I was using the delete key (on the keyboard) while she was using the delete button on the ribbon.  The keyboard delete skips to the next email properly - the ribbon button delete does not.

I have no idea why this is happening.  I've rebuilt both her Windows and Mail profiles, and reinstalled Outlook.  The behavior can be reproduced on another machine.  

Has anyone else encountered this weirdness?

OS - Windows 7 x64 (fully patched)

Office - 2013 x32 (fully patched)

Outlook 2013 is running in Cached mode.

In her Outlook settings, she's set it to move to the next email after delete. (This is under File - Options - Mail - Other)
    In her Outlook settings, she's set it to move to the next email after delete. (This is under File - Options - Mail - Other)
    Monday, April 08, 2013 7:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is it possible that the add-ins or macros cause this behavior? Try to Launch Outlook with safe mode to check the result. (Type "Outlook.exe /safe" in Windows search bar)

Thanks.

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:12 AM
  • Having the same issue

Safe mode does not resolve the issue

Nice to know that the delete on the keyboard circumvents the problem

If anyone knows an answer please chime in
    Friday, December 13, 2013 3:09 PM