none
Sudden conversion of .docx to Read-Only

Question

• I know some users have raised this, or something similar before, but I cannot find a fix that works.

I am writing an ordinary Word 2010 .docx. Most of the time when I click on Save it saves. But then suddenly, out of the blue, it tells me the document is Read-Only. I have to copy what I have just written, close the document, reopen it and paste the new material in.

I am using Windows XP and saving documents to a My Documents folder on my hard drive. I'm using Microsoft Office 2010 for Home and Office.

(This may be the wrong Forum, but I couldn't work out the right one.)

• Moved by tonysoper_MSFT Friday, December 31, 2010 12:48 AM wrong forum (From:TechNet Wiki Discussion)
    • Moved by Jennifer ZhanModerator Friday, December 31, 2010 1:59 AM (From:Office 2010 Application Compatibility)
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 5:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

That might be a problem in your  owssupp.dll, the edit problem mainly occurs when this dll gets corrupted ...try the following steps: 

1.Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14.

2.Locate the OWSSUPP.DLL file and rename it to OWSSUPP.DLL.OLD.

3.Now navigate to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 folder.

4.Locate the OWSSUPP.DLL file and copy it.

5.Now navigate back to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 folder.

6.Paste the OWSSUPP.DLL file from the Office11 folder to here, the Office14 folder.

7.Open a command prompt window with Start/Run/cmd.

8.Chance directory to the Office14 folder with CD "Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14".

9.Now using REGSVR32 OWSSUPP.DLL re-register the DLL file.

10.Now here's where the trick come in. You will receive an error message saying that the DLL cannot be loaded and a memory reference error will occur with some HEX location. But this error will not effect ur registration of the DLL file just ignore it and press OK go into your website in sharepoint open up ur document library and their u go it will work just fine u can add or edit documents once again.

Hope that helps.

Friday, December 31, 2010 1:58 AM