Office 2010 x64 WORKS GREAT on Windows XP/2003 x64!
It was bugging me since the earlybeta's that Microsoft dropped support for x64 edition of Windows XP and Server 2003, after testing in a VM I found a way to install and run Office 2010 x64 on those OSes.
No DVD or Installer editing required, only need to fool the installer so it will detect Windows 7 SP1 and installs perfectly.
This is a guide will show you how to do that in few easy steps.
So far I've tested with the x64 version of Office 2010 but the x86 version should work too.
1. You need to install Microsoft Application Verifier x64
and MSXML 6 SP1 and SP2
2. Insert or mount the Office 2010 DVD, cancel the setup.
3. Open Application Verifier, click on File->Add Application select and open the Office setup.exe from the DVD.
4. On the right "Tests" pane unselect "Basics", select "HighVersionLie" from the "Compatibility" list, nothing else is needed.
5. Right click on "HighVersionLie" and select Properties
6. Set the following lines:
- Major Version: 6
- Minor Version: 1
- Build Number: 9999
- Service Pack Major: 1
7. OK the Properties window, then click Save.
8. Install and activate Office like you did on XP x86, Vista or 7.
Microsoft is conducting an online survey to understand your opinion of the Technet Web site. If you choose to participate, the online survey will be presented to you when you leave the Technet Web site.