none
error (0x8004010F) : 'Outlook data file cannot be accessed.'

Question

• I've been an Outlook 2010 user for over a year.  I haven't had any problems with setting up my accounts or  sending & receiving emails till this past week.   I'm now receiving an error message when the program tries accessing my email accounts.  The error message is as follows:    Sending' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'Outlook data file cannot be accessed.'  I have opened up other PST files, same error.  I go to the account settings and the "Test Account Settings" works. I have removed & re-installed Outlook.  Even after re-installing, it Outlook remembers the old settings, Therefore  I still receive the same error message. 

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To resolve error 0x8004010F , identify the current location of your default Outlook data file, and then create a new Outlook profile.

Step 1- Locate the default Outlook data file

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, click Mail.
    3. In the Mail Setup - Outlook dialog box, click Show Profiles.
    4. Select your current Outlook profile, and then click Properties.
    5. In the Mail Setup - Outlook dialog box, click Data Files.
    6. Select the Data Files tab in the Account Settings dialog box, and then note the name and location of the default data file for your profile (a check mark will denote the default data file).
    7. Click Close.

Step 2 - Create a new Outlook profile

Step 3 - Configure your new Outlook profile as the default profile

More detailed steps you can refer to this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2659085

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To resolve error 0x8004010F , identify the current location of your default Outlook data file, and then create a new Outlook profile.

Step 1- Locate the default Outlook data file

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, click Mail.
    3. In the Mail Setup - Outlook dialog box, click Show Profiles.
    4. Select your current Outlook profile, and then click Properties.
    5. In the Mail Setup - Outlook dialog box, click Data Files.
    6. Select the Data Files tab in the Account Settings dialog box, and then note the name and location of the default data file for your profile (a check mark will denote the default data file).
    7. Click Close.

Step 2 - Create a new Outlook profile

Step 3 - Configure your new Outlook profile as the default profile

More detailed steps you can refer to this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2659085

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:55 AM
  • OK I now have a similar issue.  I've had Outlook 2010 for about 18 months and have had few issues.

The OS is Vista 32bit and I run 2 outlook profiles, neither of which use an exchange server (both are pop3/smtp).

Yesterday, I changed one of the profiles, simply changing the setting to delete mail from server after x days.  Since then, I am sudenly recieveing the same error as described above, but only for that profile (the other profile is still fine)

When I open outlook and select the relevant profile, then check the account settings, there is only one entry under the email tab, and only one entry under the data tab, yet strangely, the send/recieve seems to be trying to access two profiles - 'mail@domain' and 'domain'.  The send/recieve seems to work - i.e. I can send and recieve mails, yet still get this error.

I've deleted and recreated the profile, pointing the data file to the original pst and am still getting it.

Since the error code appears to relate to synchronising with an exchange server, and the profile does not reference exchange, why am I getting this error? 

All updates have been done too, so it's not an update issue.

Friday, September 14, 2012 10:13 AM