none
Public Folders - Coexistence 2010 / 2013

Question

• Hello all,

I am planning an Migration from EX2010 to EX2013 by installing the EX2013 parallel to EX2010. During that planning i have red a lot of public folder migration (e.g. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150486.aspx) - but after all I am a bit confused.

When reading above mentiones technet article I understand the following:

- When using the method describes it is a kind of an one way copy. Is this right?

- When using this method users on EX2010 as well as users on Ex2013 can access and create public folders. Is this right?

- But there is no kind of syncronisation between Public Folders hosted on EX2010 and EX2013. Is this right? So there will be an inconsitence between PF hosted on EX2010 and EX2013?

I have the issue that the user migration will take about a month or more. How can I solve the issue of getting inconsitences?

Please execuse my bad English.

Thanks in advance

Lars

• Edited by KL-AAH Friday, February 15, 2013 8:38 AM
    Friday, February 15, 2013 8:35 AM

Answers

• When reading above mentiones technet article I understand the following:

- When using the method describes it is a kind of an one way copy. Is this right?

- When using this method users on EX2010 as well as users on Ex2013 can access and create public folders. Is this right?

- But there is no kind of syncronisation between Public Folders hosted on EX2010 and EX2013. Is this right? So there will be an inconsitence between PF hosted on EX2010 and EX2013?

I have the issue that the user migration will take about a month or more. How can I solve the issue of getting inconsitences?

Hi,

A1) - Yes it is a one way cut over migration

A2) - Users on Exchange 2013 can access public folders on Exchange 2010, but not the other way around.

A3) - No, there is no synchronization going on and since users on Exchange 2010 can't access data in Public Folder Mailboxes, you do this cut over migration when all users has been moved to Exchange 2013.

Note: At any given time only one of the public folder technologies will be used. Its not possible to configure public folder replication as mentioned by Gulab Prasad.

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by KL-AAH Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:06 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:39 PM
  • But there is still one question: Where can I configure that users on EX2013 use the PFs on EX 2010?

Many thanks and best regards

Lars

Hi Lars,
    I don't think that you need to configure anything on the Exchange 2013 Server for that to work.
    I believe (haven't tested this myself since coexistence is not at this point supported) that the Exchange 2010 Public Folder Database is added to the Mailboxes Databases in Exchange 2013 and that setting is later removed during the final step (Step 6 in the TechNet Article you posted above)

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by KL-AAH Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:18 PM

All replies

• 1: What do you mean by one way copy and where did you read it? If you are talking about Replication, than you can make the replication happen from 2013 to 2010 too. You will have to add the replica of 2010 server to the PF on 2013.
    2: Yes, users on both the servers can access the PF while replication is in process.
    3: No, as the PF information will be replicated from 2010 (source) to 2013 (target). It depends how configure your Mailbox Database property for Public Folder.

You can associate Mailbox Database on 2013 to PF database on 2010.

Note: There is issue with PF, you will have to wait for CU1 for Exchange 2013 for full coexistence.

Gulab Prasad,
    gulab@exchangeranger.com
    My Blog | Z-Hire Employee Provisioning App

Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:30 AM
  • Hello Gulab,

many. many thanks for your reply.

1. in above mentioned technet article please see number 2-4. They create csv files by exporing pf configurations from ex2010 to create a pf move request. This seems to be a "one way copy" and no replication between 2010 an 2013. 

Where can I add the replica of 2010 server to the PF on 2013 - i can not find this in EAC 2013? Can you please send me some screenshota or technet articles how to configure this setting?

Where can I  associate Mailbox Database on 2013 to PF database on 2010 -  i can not find this in EAC 2013? Can you please send me some screenshota or technet articles how to configure this setting?

I know about the comming CU1 for EX2010 and I will wait for it ;-) 

Many thanks

Lars

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:38 AM
  • Hello Lars,

I suggest you wait for the update for Exchange 2010 and then to do that.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Evan Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 18, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Hello Lars,

I suggest you wait for the update for Exchange 2010 and then to do that.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Evan Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Hello Evan,

thanks for your replay.

Which update for Exchange 2010 do you mean?

Best regards

Lars

Monday, February 18, 2013 3:23 PM
  • When reading above mentiones technet article I understand the following:

Hi,

A1) - Yes it is a one way cut over migration

A2) - Users on Exchange 2013 can access public folders on Exchange 2010, but not the other way around.

A3) - No, there is no synchronization going on and since users on Exchange 2010 can't access data in Public Folder Mailboxes, you do this cut over migration when all users has been moved to Exchange 2013.

Note: At any given time only one of the public folder technologies will be used. Its not possible to configure public folder replication as mentioned by Gulab Prasad.

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by KL-AAH Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:06 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:39 PM
  • Hi Martina,

many thanks for your reply. Thats what I expected.

The thing I did not know was, that users on EX2013 can access PFs on EX 2010 :-))

But there is still one question: Where can I configure that users on EX2013 use the PFs on EX 2010?

Lars

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:05 PM
  • But there is still one question: Where can I configure that users on EX2013 use the PFs on EX 2010?

Lars

Hi Lars,
    I don't think that you need to configure anything on the Exchange 2013 Server for that to work.
    I believe (haven't tested this myself since coexistence is not at this point supported) that the Exchange 2010 Public Folder Database is added to the Mailboxes Databases in Exchange 2013 and that setting is later removed during the final step (Step 6 in the TechNet Article you posted above)

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by KL-AAH Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:18 PM
  • @ Martina, What I meant to say by "You can associate Mailbox Database on 2013 to PF database on 2010." Is, that user on server 2013 will talk to the PF which is on 2010. 

Gulab Prasad,
    gulab@exchangeranger.com
    My Blog | Z-Hire Employee Provisioning App

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:48 PM
  • @ Martina, What I meant to say by "You can associate Mailbox Database on 2013 to PF database on 2010." Is, that user on server 2013 will talk to the PF which is on 2010. 

Gulab Prasad,

Ok, but you did write this:

If you are talking about Replication, than you can make the replication happen from 2013 to 2010 too. You will have to add the replica of 2010 server to the PF on 2013.

...and that can't be done.

Martina Miskovic

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:50 PM
  • No need to configure anything. User's in exchange 2013 should access the Pf's in Exch 2010 automatically.

Sirsim

• Proposed as answer by Sir.sim Wednesday, June 12, 2013 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 9:18 AM
  • No need to configure anything. User's in exchange 2013 should access the Pf's in Exch 2010 automatically.

Sirsim

Hello Everyone!  

I am finding my self here as well.   I want to clarify a few things to get up to speed , please correct me as I am stating from what I have read.

1- there is no sync its is a 1 way MOVE from 07/10 to 13 in an import style and done only after all mailboxes are moved 

2- Mailboxes on 2013 will still see all the PF on the legacy servers. This severs as the coexistence piece as users are on both legacy and 2013 mailbox servers.  

3 - Nothing is needed to be done on the 2013 to allow users to see the PF folders on the legacy servers

4 - once ALL mailboxes are on 2013 then I can perform the migration process and dissolve the 20xx PF structure. described in this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150486.aspx article.

Can you please confirm what I have stated above is correct.

Thanks, Grady Vogt

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:39 PM