none
How to "undo" a change to custom list

Question

• Hi all,

I made a change that I thought was made to a single custom list.  In SharePoint Designer I changed the column name "Name" to "Incident Name".  This was a while ago and I just noticed that every new custom list I create has "Incident Name" instead of "Name".  So far, I've gone into each list and changed it back to "Name", but pretty soon I'm going to have users creating lists and I would like to figure out how to reverse whatever I did.

Since it's been so long I don't even remember what I changed.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Also, is there any way to tell what has been modified through SharePoint Designer (something like a last modified date)?  If so, maybe I could narrow down what I changed.  As you can probably tell - I'm new to this so I haven't made many changes (which is probably a good thing!)

Any help would be appreciated.

Karen

Using SharePoint 2007

KW

Saturday, June 01, 2013 1:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Karen, I can think of three possible scenarios:

• you modified the name of the column for the whole site
    • you modified the name of the column for a specified content type
    • you modified the name of the column on the list template

how you create new lists? you are using a list template? or this happens with any list where that column is used?

PD: I'm not good at writing in English, sorry.

Si la respuesta satisface tu consulta, usa el comando "Marcar como respuesta".
    Si te parece útil para otros, usa el comando "Votar como útil".

Damian Alfredo Bocca di Fuoco [MAP 2013]
    SharePoint & EPM Consultant / Developer
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Monday, June 03, 2013 4:27 PM
  • I appreciate your help, and I think your English is pretty good.  Anyway, I get the column called "Incident Name" whereever I create a "custom list".  It happens at all site levels.  When I create a list I do it by going to "view all site content", "create", "custom list".  Does that help narrow down what I need to change back to its original setting?

KW

Monday, June 03, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Thanks, i see, must be the first scenario (you modified the name of the column for the whole site).

OK, you must go to "Site Settings" --> "Site columns" and find the "Incident Name" column.

Right click on the column and then change the column name, save the changes.

Test it !!!

Si la respuesta satisface tu consulta, usa el comando "Marcar como respuesta".
    Si te parece útil para otros, usa el comando "Votar como útil".

Damian Alfredo Bocca di Fuoco [MAP 2013]
    SharePoint & EPM Consultant / Developer
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Monday, June 03, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Uh Oh - it's worse than I thought.  Apparently I renamed the "Title" column when I created a new content type.  I didn't realize I was applying that content type to every list that would be created going forward.  From searching around the web it looks like this is not reversible (without the server admin team) because  "Title" is a reserved word and SharePoint will not allow me to change it back.  (Please note, above I referenced the column name as "Name", but actually it was "Title").

KW

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:27 AM
  • So, just to clarify, you've renamed the OOB "Title field when creating a new Content Type?  You're right that changing this back on your own is going to be impossible due to the memory footprint of the original lost.

It might be worth providing the server team with this URL

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blog/Pages/BlogPost.aspx?PageType=4&ListId={72C1C85B-1D2D-4A4A-90DE-CA74A7808184}&pID=524

Renaming it back should also feed down to all content types and lists that inherit the column.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Monday, June 10, 2013 10:26 AM