none
Word 2013 Crashing and Freezing

Question

• I have a team here that writes up Qulaity Control reports in Word 2013 32 bit on brand new x64 Win 7 SP1 PC's with Core i5 v Pro processors and 8GB of RAM. These are brand new freshly installed Office 2013 Pro on brand new PC's that are fully updated. The documents include our company logo copy that is cut and pasted into the document and then jpg photos draged and dropped in to the documments. Wording is typed under the photos describing the photos. Fairly simple documents and something we have done for a long time in Office 2003 and 2007 and 2010 without any issues. My end users now complain of completely random freezing and crashing issues since they have had Office 2013 (specifically Word 2013). The issue include:

"We all had issues with Microsoft Word when working on our reports, such as freezing,
    force closing, pictures not loading, pictures being replaced with a red “X” in
    the upper left corner of where the picture was, being able to only scroll up
    and down with all other functions not working in Word. In particular when resizing the photos in Word as well as when adding typed descriptions below the photos and sometime when just scrolling through the document itself it will crash."

We cannot find any clues in the PC logs as they show that no crashing or application or system errrors have even occured. While I am trying several things like having them save to a previous 97-2003 version and having the documents check for errors by Word (it doesn't find any errors). I was hoping someone here in the community has seen this issue and knows some sort of fix. Ultimately if it can't be resolved soon I will have to unistall Office 2013 and put them back on Office 2010 which had no issues in thsi regard. This would defeat our upgrade process and not what we really want to do. Thank you.

Thursday, April 04, 2013 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, try to repair Office 2013 to check the issue.

If repairing does not solve the issue, then try to create a new file to check the issue.

Also, try to start Word 2013 in safe mode to check whether the issue is caused by some add-ins.

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 05, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Jaynet,

I appreciate your feedback. Normally if it was just one machine I would try a repair however these are three seperate new machines with new installs of Office 2013 Pro, so I doubt they could all be bad installs. We did create new files from scratch and it made no difference as Word 2013 just cannot handle these basic functions of inserting a logo, a picture and then wording into a document. We have no add-ins except what comes as default with Word 2013 but I will check that next time I hear of the issue. So far I have had the users down save the documents to Word 97-2003 (even when first creating them as new documents) and the problem has not resurfaced. Sounds like a bug in the coding to me for Word 2013. As I mentioned all other versions of Word from 2003-2010 have no issues performing these basic tasks on these documents. Hopefully over time MS will improve, patch and resolve issues with Office 2013 since it is new. Thank you.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:19 PM