none
Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window.

Question

• I get the following error message when opening Microsoft Outlook (using Windows 7):

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file.

C:/Users/owner/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook/Outlook.pst.

Quit Outlook and all mail enabled applications and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the inbox repair tool, see Help.

I have tried the suggested fix of using the start menu, clicking "run" and then typing in "Outlook.exe /resetnavpane" and it did not work. Do I need some sort of a longer path to make this work?

I cannot find the so called "inbox repair tool" and don't know how to use "scanpst.exe".

Are all my old email folders now lost? How can I start using my Outlook email again?

Thanks for any help. Susanne 

Monday, October 10, 2011 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Susanne,

Your emails are not lost, untill you lost your pst file mentioned in the folder path -

Have a copy\backup of that outlook.pst file in different location.

For the above issue that you are facing, to fix Configure new outlook profile for the same account which you are using now and re add the pst file as additional personal folder. If it is not working, give the below details

Are you using company provided email account or other 3rd party email account like gmail, yahoo or any email account from ISP?

To find the inbox repair tool - Search for scanpst.exe file in your computer. It will show the file, double click the scanpst file, it will ask you to show the pst file to be repaired, browse to

click repair

Inform if any issue in perform the above steps.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Susanne,

Your emails are not lost, untill you lost your pst file mentioned in the folder path -

Have a copy\backup of that outlook.pst file in different location.

For the above issue that you are facing, to fix Configure new outlook profile for the same account which you are using now and re add the pst file as additional personal folder. If it is not working, give the below details

Are you using company provided email account or other 3rd party email account like gmail, yahoo or any email account from ISP?

To find the inbox repair tool - Search for scanpst.exe file in your computer. It will show the file, double click the scanpst file, it will ask you to show the pst file to be repaired, browse to

click repair

Inform if any issue in perform the above steps.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:38 AM
  • Good day. Actually i have same problem with this user, as your suggestion to find the inbox repair tool, but  i can't find the scanpst.exe file in my computer. so what should i need to de, please help?
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:22 AM
  • On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 01:22:34 +0000, Daniemck wrote:

>Good day. Actually i have same problem with this user, as your suggestion to find the inbox repair tool, but  i can't find the scanpst.exe file in my computer. so what should i need to de, please help?

Did you look in the locations mentioned in the MSKB article  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497 ??

Ron
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:01 AM
  • what all is mean
    Friday, July 20, 2012 3:55 AM
  • Hi RON ;

First of all  go to Start\computer and upper left corner menu select TOOL, select FOLDER OPTION in the new window select VIEW tab and select SHOW HIDDEN FILES ,FOLDERS,DRIVER click ok

Now you may able to see pst files under c:\Users\Username (yours)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst

Scanpst.exe location ;

c:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftOffice\Office14\scanpst.exe

c:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftOffice\Office12\scanpst.exe

Have a great day...

Friday, July 20, 2012 5:06 AM
  • Your Pst file location might be change and please make a copy your pst file first from under c:\documents and setting\outlook\outlook.pst if you can see file in this location copy pst file to c:\Users\Username (yours)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\outlook\

If can start your Outlook please press CTRL left hand side and clcik on outlook icon to open. Outlook will open in safemode for you.If it's not opening you may re-install software.No worry you not lose your email account. If you copy or backup your pst file.

Have A Nice Day...

Friday, July 20, 2012 5:11 AM
  • Hi,

I was able to find the SCANPST.EXE with the software Everything. This is a very good software to find files, and it is free. You can download it from www.ninite.com. After installing Everything just type "SCANPST.EXE" and it will find, just right click on it and run it as administrator. I hope it can help you, good luck.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 3:44 PM
  • It seems to me that your emails has not been lost, perhaps your outlook folder has been lost. to get your emails back you must try one of the following ways.

Use backup file, if you have kept it in another location.

if not then go to the:

C:/Users/owner/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook/Outlook.pst."

and run the scanpst,exe tool to fix the outlook error on windows 7.

If this application is not working or giving error then use a powerful PST Repair tool. which ,may become helpful for you.

Visit here to know more: http://howto.fixscanpstexe.com

Monday, December 24, 2012 6:42 AM