none
Outlook 2010 64 bit RTM and the Linked In Social Connector

All replies

• I second dkackman's issue - I'm having the same problem with Outlook 2010 RTM x64 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.

From what I understand you only need the "Outlook Social Connector 32 bit (February 2010 Beta)" if you are running Outlook 2010 Beta - not Outlook 2010 RTM.  It looks like this is a bug with LinkedIn's installer - LinkedInOutlookConnector.exe from http://www.linkedin.com/outlook

I also think there was no proper testing of the 64 bit versions - and some of these bugs might be related to that.

Hopefully someone at Microsoft or LinkedIn is listening...

Monday, April 26, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Same problem here.  I receive the message asking me to install the outlook social connector which is supposedly unavailable for RTM or 64 bit versions.

Does anyone know if this does in fact work on RTM 32 bit versions?

JC.

jc
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Same issue here - based on what I could find the existing bits will not work on the RTM version is the general availability is not till May 12th.. (even for the 32-bit)

Based on what I was told the 32bit RTM compatible bits should be out on or before 5/12 and the 64bit "soon after"

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Same for me.   It appears that the Social connectors for all the various sites are not working with x64 office 2010 RTM.

I guess we have to wait a few weeks!    Certainly a feature I am looking forward to trying!

Nick Whittome - Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Has anyone made them work with the 32bit RTM? It seems that they don't work with that either.

Neil.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Has anyone made them work with the 32bit RTM? It seems that they don't work with that either.

Neil.

The 32bit is working here - try removing the linkedin account and signing back into it.  

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 11:31 AM
  • I have 2 pcs here, one is running the 32bit RTM and the other running 64 bit RTM. The 32 bit version is running fine, all i had to do was download the linked in connector and it worked straight away. The 64 bit version prompts me to download the outlook connector software from microsoft..... whatever you do, dont do this! It won't work with the 64 bit software anyway, and could corrupt your outlook. I did this with the Beta release and it made a complete mess of everything and i had to uninstall it and edit the registry before i could get it working again.

Unfortunately, if you have 64 bit office, you will have to wait for a 64 bit release of the outlook connector.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Diane,

I can't get the social connector part to work at all so haven't even signed into linked in to remove it. The button to add a social network under the reading pane doesn't even exist!

Neil.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Any expectation on when and where the 64-bit will be available?

Leo Dit

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:08 PM
  • Same for me.   It appears that the Social connectors for all the various sites are not working with x64 office 2010 RTM.

I guess we have to wait a few weeks!    Certainly a feature I am looking forward to trying!

Nick Whittome - Microsoft MVP

A few weeks have elapsed - any updates on this issue?

"We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer
    Monday, June 07, 2010 6:18 PM
  • I have 64bit outlook (RTM) as well and was ecstatic to see OSC functionality only to have those  those hopes dashed by the 32bit Microsoft download screen redirection.  If anyone gets a line a real 64bit OSC ... post the link here - please!
    byron arnao
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:43 PM
  • I contacted LinkedIn support about this and it is indeed their issue. They have no ETA on a fix.

"Thank you for contacting LinkedIn Customer Support. 

At this time, the Social Connector is not compatible with Outlook 2010 64 bit. Our engineers are working to enhance that feature but regrettably I do not have a time as to when this will be updated.

Thank you for using LinkedIn. Have a great day!"
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:24 PM
  • It's very dissappointing that MS releases 64-bit software and then seems to take forever to get the add-ins and extensions ready. The social connector looks like a bit of an afterthought. when Xobni can produce a much better social connector product for both 32 and 64-bit Outlook 2010, how is it that MS, with all it's resources, can't?
    Development Manager and Technical and Solutions Architect
    Monday, June 14, 2010 7:27 AM
  • At this time, the Social Connector is not compatible with Outlook 2010 64 bit. Our engineers are working to enhance that feature but regrettably I do not have a time as to when this will be updated.

Its interesting that if one writes a VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for Office) addin for Outlook using VS2008/VS2010 in C#/VB one doesn't have to create seperate versions as 32 or 64 bit. What the heck did they write the thing in that requires a 32bit assembly/dll?

Poor programming on their part. (IMHO)

William Wegerson (www.OmegaCoder.Com)
    Monday, June 14, 2010 3:30 PM
  • At this time, the Social Connector is not compatible with Outlook 2010 64 bit. Our engineers are working to enhance that feature but regrettably I do not have a time as to when this will be updated.

Its interesting that if one writes a VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for Office) addin for Outlook using VS2008/VS2010 in C#/VB one doesn't have to create seperate versions as 32 or 64 bit. What the heck did they write the thing in that requires a 32bit assembly/dll?

William Wegerson (www.OmegaCoder.Com)u
    I don't think its a problem with the connector itself. I think the problem is with the installer. The installer is checking for something in 32 bit and not finding it so it redirects you to install something and quiting. The connector may actually work with 64 bit Outlook but it wont even install. 
    Monday, June 14, 2010 5:39 PM

William Wegerson (www.OmegaCoder.Com)u
    I don't think its a problem with the connector itself. I think the problem is with the installer. The installer is checking for something in 32 bit and not finding it so it redirects you to install something and quiting. The connector may actually work with 64 bit Outlook but it wont even install. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that, I used 7-zip to extract the executable and found nothing but a few dll files. tried registering them, didn't work. also tried loading the dll through outlooks AddIn dialog, still no go... :( I'm also running Office 2010 x64 RTM, so this is a disappointment... I suspect the installer does more then checking for a 32-bit version of the OS or Office :(

this just makes the whole connector thing useless!

Friday, June 25, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Looks like there are some developments on this issue - today Facebook and Windows Live functionality were added - in addition to the existing LinkedIn and MySpace networks for the connector.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/outlook/archive/2010/07/13/use-the-outlook-social-connector-with-facebook-linkedin-myspace-and-windows-live.aspx

Supposedly the LinkedIn and MySpace portions have been updated, though I wasn't immidiately able to get the LinkedIn connector to start working.  The Windows Live connector resulted in a "Not Found" search result.

Anyone else have better luck with it?

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:29 PM
  • So far I have the Facebook connector and the Windows Live Messenger connector working in 64-bit Outlook without a hitch.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Thanks for the "Works on my machine!"

Here's the page with the broken Windows Live Connector link - where did you download the Windows Live Connector?
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/outlook-social-connector-partner-listing-FX101812910.aspx

Direct link would be handy.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Sorry. Here is the one for facebook:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ce8b7517-234c-48a1-a655-324a88893b02

and Windows Live:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b45b3d7f-22e1-403c-b0fb-587fd33aa6f3

I have had previous issues with having the 2010 beta on my machine - hard to do a clean uninstall. I actually had to redo the box from scratch to get things to work correctly (although I'm not sure if this affects you).

Good luck!

• Edited by Rick Wargo Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:18 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:30 PM
  • Thanks, the second link text is correct - but it actually links to the FB download, here it is again for people who don't want to cut & paste:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b45b3d7f-22e1-403c-b0fb-587fd33aa6f3

Thanks for the direct links.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:42 PM
  • No go for me on the LinkedIn connector still... I use Outlook for business so the Facebook connector is really just a distraction. Come on LinkedIn get with the program :-|
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Thanks; I just corrected it on my post. My 'C' key sticks sometimes and I copy doesn't work at times so I ended up pasting the last thing I copied - the fb connector. Not sure why the Microsoft link for Windows Live points to nowhere - hopefully they fix it soon.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Looks like the LinkedIn and MySpace connectors are only 32-bit and won't work if you are running 64-bit Office. These connections, while very cool, present a lot of privacy issues - I've started blogging about what this means at:

http://www.rickwargo.com/2010/07/13/understanding-your-information-with-respect-to-the-microsoft-outlook-social-connector-provider-for-facebook/

Rick

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:22 PM
  • I'm checking this post regularly for a 64bit LinkedIn connector. If anyone finds a working solution, post it up! But as it's been about four months since the start of this thread, I guess I won't hold my breath.

Cheers

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:45 PM
  • I'm checking this post regularly for a 64bit LinkedIn connector. If anyone finds a working solution, post it up! But as it's been about four months since the start of this thread, I guess I won't hold my breath.

Cheers

LinkedIn is working on one, but its not available yet. No ETA either.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:47 PM
  • I confirm that FB and WL both work on 64-bit Office.

The LinkedIn one is still only 32-bit and while it will successfully install on a 64-bit Windows 7, it will not be recognized by Outlook 2010.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Yea, 64bit Linkedin - WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?
    Steve
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:48 PM
  • July 20th and still no 64bit LinkedIn connector?

Are they trying to go the way of Myspace? Oh wait, their's works... at least from what I've heard... not that I've used it or anything. :-)

Just kidding.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:55 PM
  • Another me-too. Also waiting for the x64. Have facebook working, but could really do with LinkedIn.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Mee-To as well !!!

Even the long time ago Xing Plugin ( outlook.xing.com) is still not available. They earlier this year stated it wil become GA in June, while now the state something like summer. Well, it´s still damn hot here in germany ....

FB and WL is working great on x64, it´s funny having those ugly FB Profile Pic in your business contacts :-)

Friday, July 23, 2010 7:01 AM
  •  64bit LinkedIn connector???

nothing???

Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:23 AM
  •  64bit LinkedIn connector???

nothing???

Not yet. No one has an ETA so i'm not expecting it anytime soon.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Very disappointed in Microsoft Office and LinkedIn's social connector failures with x64. I'm advising all my business clients to upgrade to Windows 7 x64 for the memory benefits. How about Microsoft and LinkedIn discuss a fix to this issue ASAP. 
    Jamie Clayton http://www.jenasysdesign.com.au
    Monday, August 16, 2010 11:53 PM
  • Linkedin is working on a 64bit version - we just don't know when it will come.  The only memory benefit to 64bit office is for those who use very large (over 2 GB) spreadsheets and access db. There is no benefit to 64bit office otherwise.

In all honesty, there are bigger issues with 64-bit office than not having a  linkedin provider. There are more important programs that many not be able to send email through outlook if you install 64-bit office, including Quickbooks and Acrobat. If your clients need outlook addins or sync with smartphones, they may have a better experience with 32bit.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:41 AM
  • Diane,

I must admit our business uses Quickbooks, so I will have to review this, but we generate all out PDF's via other suppliers than Adobe.  I'm aware of the Adobe PDF/Flash x64 issues.  Just to clarify, reading PDF Attachments received in Outlook 2010 x64 does work.   In my case I do have to deal with very large spreadsheets for a finance company and they are currently running into memory restrictions, so that's the reasoning behind my recommendations.

I'm just impressed that Outlooks 2010 has this connectivity feature, it works well for me as I often use Email/Messenger/Skype to chat to customers. I hope Skype will get onboard soon, because then Outlook becomes a lot more useful when searching for conversations.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:33 AM
  • Correct, reading is fine, its File, Send to menus that fail.

The people pane is read only. You can read updates posted by friends but need to log into the website to comment on their status.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:50 AM
  • Diane,

Interesting that Windows 7 x64 -> Windows Explorer -> File *.pfd -> Right Click -> Send to Email Recipient will correctly attach a PDF document in Outlook 2010 x64, but the Adobe File menu -> Attach to Email... doesn't.  I would assume that's just a bug in the Adobe menu email code base not automating the Operating system email product correctly (take that from someone who has programmed the feature into a .net application for a customer).  I would assume Adobe can fix that fairly easily. :)

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:14 AM
  • You assume wrong. :) It's how the MAPI process is called by the 32bit app - it's looking for pointers to the mail program in the 32-bit space and they aren't there. Prior to Office 2010, it worked because all of the email clients were 32 bit and in the same space as the program doing the sending.

For an explaination of WOW64 and how its used by 32 bit apps, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms952405.aspx#ws03-64-bitwindevover_topic2

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:19 PM
  • Diane,

To continue off the original post topic, I think this is a better article on the MAPI issue. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd941355.aspx . It contains the following recommendation.

32-bit MAPI Application and 64-Bit Outlook

32-bit MAPI applications are not supported to run on a computer installed with 64-bit Outlook and 64-bit Windows. The application developer must update and rebuild the application as a 64-bit application for the 64-bit platform. This is because a 32-bit application cannot load a 64-bit Msmapi32.dll file. There are a small number of API changes that application developers must incorporate to build their code successfully for a 64-bit environment. MAPI header files have been updated with these changes to support the 64-bit platform. You can download these header files at Outlook 2010: MAPI Header Files. Developers can use this same set of MAPI header files to build both 32-bit and 64-bit MAPI applications.

I've logged the MAPI bug with Adobe. I'm sure Adobe have some pressing x64 migration issues to deal with, because to my understanding there is close to a 60% uptake of x64 with Windows 7 implementations and many larger Windows 7 roll outs will be x64 only (e.g. Universities).

I will however check my Email features to see how they interact with x32/x64 specific builds now you raise this. With .net you can compile with "Any CPU" and it just automatically uses the OS processor architecture to run, so this may be a mute point for me.

• Proposed as answer by TekGeek64 Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:42 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:27 AM
  • One thing needs to be understood, the IT industry is moving away from 32-bit and going 64. Microsoft as well as other software/OS vendors, Apple, the many flavors of UNIX are also producing 64-bit as their mainstream OS.  Microsoft is no longer producing server OS in 32-bit beginning with Windows Server 2008 R2, Exchange, SQL Server and many other applications including MS Office are now at 64-bit.  Even Java has available the 64-bit JRE and JDK.

Linkedin and some of the other social network sites are laggards, but trust me they will have no choice but to follow the industry or be left out. Eventually all 32-bit hardware and software are and will soon be phased out are obsolete, Dell and HP are now rolling out new computers with standard 64-bit OS's.

I would not be surprised if Microsoft beginning with Windows 8 will only produce the 64-bit OS as they with have done on the server side.

Linkedin and the rest will produce connectors for 64-bit they have no choice, not a question of if but when!

Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Yea, 64bit Linkedin - WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?
    Steve

LinkedIn still MIA for 64bit .... bummer.

Ari

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:35 AM
  • I would like to think most new machines are running 64bit OS's and 64bit Office - Yes, we are all waiting...
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:20 PM
  • I would like to think most new machines are running 64bit OS's and 64bit Office - Yes, we are all waiting...

We are all waiting for 64bit LinkedIn.....
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:46 PM
  • ... really? still nothing? 
    Monday, October 25, 2010 8:57 PM
  • LinkedIn has not yet released a 64 bit addin for their service. I recommend bugging linkedin about it - http://blog.linkedin.com/2010/02/17/linkedin-microsoft-outlook/

Friday, October 29, 2010 7:58 PM
  • Has a 64bit Linked-in social network connector for Outlook come out yet?
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Has a 64bit Linked-in social network connector for Outlook come out yet?

Not that I've seen - its not listed on http://www.linkedin.com/outlook.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:12 PM
  • It would be professional of LinkedIn to at least mention on http://www.linkedin.com/outlook that it is x32 only and explicitly say that x64 will not work.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:11 PM
  • As of January 7, 2011 the following comment was made on LinkedIn blog: http://blog.linkedin.com/2010/02/17/linkedin-microsoft-outlook/#comment-32199

AND IT REALLY WORKS!!!!

Derek Homann, January 7th, 2011

For everyone looking for the 64 bit connector, please go to the following URL to download it. We plan on putting it up on the site shortly, but until then, please go here to download it:

https://download.linkedin.com/desktop/osc/en/latest/bin/LinkedInOutlookConnector_x64.exe

Also, thank you for being patient while we were working on this. It took longer than expected but it’s finally here.

-Derek

Thanks Derek!!!!!

Saturday, January 08, 2011 8:56 AM
  • You rock! I've been looking for this and just got it installed. Works like a champ. Thanks for posting.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:39 AM
  • Installed 64bit version and it appeared in the People Pane Now!
    Friday, January 14, 2011 11:36 AM
  • Most of your replies are either misleading, promising the moon or just plain, well, slow.  I'm curious, have you noticed how unhelpful your responses are?

"In all honesty, there are bigger issues with 64-bit office than not having a  linkedin provider." (what a 'winning response')

"Not yet. No one has an ETA so i'm not expecting it anytime soon."

"The 32bit is working here - try removing the linkedin account and signing back [2010] into it."

Most people here are engineers - not just MVPs.  I suggest you think through things a little more before plastering the site w/ ... we'll leave it there.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 8:02 PM
  • This thread goes back a year (before we figured out we needed 64-bit versions of the providers) and a linkedin 64bit provider was released two months ago (https://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4951/kw/outlook), so I'm not sure what the problem is? Any response short of "here is the 64bit provider" could be considered unhelpful...

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Thank you, it's working well :)
    Christopher Keyaert - My OpsMgr/SCOM blog : http://www.vnext.be
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Trying to install facebook and live Outlook Social Connector in to office 2010 on Win 7 and I get an error "the expected version of the product was not found on your system" I get this error when trying to install any of the following.

outlooksocialconnector-x86-en-us  13,487            error during install

osc-kb2289116-fullfile-x86-en-us  1,716kb            error during install

osc-kb983403-fullfile-x86-en-us    1,714kb            error during install

OSCFB-x86-en-us  12,300kb         error during install

OSCWL-x86-en-us  12,592kb       error during install

I think the FB and WL file is trying to install a different or older version of MOSC.  I get this warning during install “installation of this product requires the latest version of Microsoft outlook social connector. Do you want to download and install the latest version of outlook social connector now?” Choices are install or don’t install, If you click install it downloads and tries to install and I receive the error "the expected version of the product was not found on your system" if I answer no don’t install it exists the install. I need the facebook and Live installer without the MOSC installer.

I have successfully installed LinkedIn and MySpace  and they work any suggestions?

LinkedInOutlookConnector  1,146kb       installed ok and work

MySpaceForOutlook 949kb         installed ok and work

OutlookConnector  3,229kb         installed ok and works

I have two win 7 computer here and same error on both.  I have uninstalled and reinstall office 2010 no luck.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:24 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Nikola Malovic Monday, January 23, 2012 6:30 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Your beef is with LinkedIn, not Microsoft. It's LinkedIn who has to write the 64-bit version.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 6:13 AM