none
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 encountered an error during setup.

Question

• Dear Microsoft Office 2010 Support center:
    I am Action Pack Microsoft Partner.  I wanted to test office 2010 on Windows XP3 platform, I installed the office 2010 program and the program gave me the option to keep the older version or remove it, I chose to remove the old version. I had a successful install, and I think the program had got activated it self and it was validated online automatically. Then when I was doing windows update, it gave me an important update for office 2010 to install,  which is Office 2010 service pack one, the windows installed the office 2010 service pack 1. But very very strange think happen after the installation of Office service pack 1 was completed !!!!!!  the office 2010 had removed it self from the computer, and no installation of office 2010 was present in the computer windows XP SP3. 
    Then I try to re-install the office 2010 again, I was never successful to install office 2010 again. During the re-installation office 2010 It install all the folders under sub-folder office14, and all the programs, "word, excel, access, info path, one note, power point and etc" , then at the end of the installation it begin to delete all the installation from office14 sub-folder and the installation progress bar goes to the middle and it stop suddenly displaying this error message w/o any error number:

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 encountered an error during setup.

Most likely this error is due to security built in into office 2010 to avoid pirating or unauthorized instalations after the first attempt.
    Please help me or send me the instruction or a script program to clean the old installation where it is causing the error problem  and allow office 2010 to be installed again w/o the setup error. 
    Also give me instructions how to correct this error during  office 2010 installation please.

Thanks in Advance
    My email: vito-cavafian@hotmail.com

Vito Cavafian
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:02 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Thank you so much Don for taking the time and answering my Issue with Office 2010 Installation.

I came across this article like 3 days ago. I look up in the directory mentioned in the article and searched for the file Rgstrtn.lck   in article:   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927153  But I could not find this file.     Rgstrtn.lck  file wasn’t there and  I even change the folders option to show the hidden files but still this file was not there. I did download   Fix it 50493 and run it, it did not help the situation either.  I even went to Regedit and clear office14 registry under “ HKEY Local Machine Software Microsoft Office”  and I delete all the entry’s, then I rename the Office14 folder to Office14 old and still did not help the problem and I was still getting this message:

Microsoft Office suite encountered an error during setup.

Any other tips to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Vito

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Hi Vito,

it seems like the "easy" resolutions are eliminated :(
    Try this one, it is very detailed and will take some time, but should lead to more detail into the error:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2010/12/30/troubleshooting-office-installation-failures.aspx

Of course, you could wipe the machine & re-load from recovery, but that is also a lot of effort in many cases.

Don
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:59 AM
  •  Thank you Don;

Let me try the Developer  blog that you sent. it is a difficult route but I will let you know.

Thanks again

Vito

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:22 AM
  • Here we are, nearly a year later, and this problem is still coming up!

I had done most of the previous "fixes" before coming here. I had also used a limited copy of Revo Uninstaller Pro to chase down any stray trinkets, tatters or crumbs. But it didn't help, I am still being kicked out of Office Professional Plus 2010,

It gets through the "enter Product key" phase, 2. get through Read License terms phase. Doesn't matter which you chose (Install now or custom) for installation phase. installatio oprogress is the problem (encouters an error during setup message comes)... just before the message, my DVD seems to miss read - at anyrate it makes a bit of noise, like its searching.

I have been using the 2010 ver, one of the Kb docs, suggested I download a newer version. I invested a time down loading the newer version (with sp1) rev. 9-20-2011 - it blows up at the same point, based on what I saw in the progress animation.

The reason for installation is I recently concluded  a wiped / load of my machine - just to be sure there were no lingering virus infections. I wanted to be be sure that I give Windows 8 a fair chance to blow my socks off!

With the number of attempts I've made to  install Office, this last time I cleared event logs:

event logs-Application log shows: 

1. The description for Event ID 1904 from source HHCTRL cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer

2. Successfully created restore point (Process = F:\x86\SETUP.EXE SHOWPLATFORMINFO; Description = Installed Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010).

3 .Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: {90140000-006E-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}. Client Process Id: 3124.

4. Product: Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2010 -- Configuration failed.

5. Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2010. Product Version: 14.0.4763.1000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1603.

Yes, ... that Beoweolf

Friday, September 14, 2012 12:21 AM
  • After enabling verbose logging and trying everything I found related to the errors online, including CleanBoot, registry changes, etc.,  I came across the below post. Running WMIrepair from SCCM Client Center on sourceforge worked for me.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/officesetupdeployprevious/thread/1b48ebda-2da4-4869-9d7c-69afce2439c4/

Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:17 PM