none
Outlook 2013 "Disconnected" when connecting to Hotmail account

Question

• I am trying to connect to my Outlook.com account using Outlook 2013, and it is not downloading new email. The status in Outlook is "DISCONNECTED" with an exclamation point in a triangle. This happens frequently - after a while (hours, days) it eventually reconnects, but this is extremely frustrating.

I have enabled Outlook logging, and in the %tmp%\EASlogfiles directory, I find an XML file with the following error message:

<Error>
      <Hr>80004005</Hr>
      <Message>We couldn’t finish syncing. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).</Message>
      <HttpStatus>HTTP/1.1 503 request failed due to Network error</HttpStatus>
      <HttpHeaders>: HTTP/1.1 503 request failed due to Network error
    Connection: close
    Content-Length: 0
    Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 17:56:23 GMT
    X-TransactionID: df63bc83-c5af-4a3d-bb8b-3d4d0defd352;DUB405-EAS180;17.3.18.108;2014-02-01 17:54:22 UTC;120339.1714 ms
    </HttpHeaders>
      <SyncStatus>SyncStatus: 503</SyncStatus>
      <File>outlook\pstprx\storeas\utils\airsyncstatuscodes.h</File>
      <Line>167</Line>
    </Error>

What can I do? I've tried creating a new Outlook profile, but nothing helps. I've searched for information about this error message and nothing has turned up. Any advice? Is there any way to contact someone from Microsoft, even for a fee, to find out exactly what the error means and how to fix it?

Thanks,

David
    Saturday, February 01, 2014 6:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suppose you are using Exchange Active Sync in Outlook 2013 to connect to HOTMAIL. Here there is separate steps for logging when it comes to us.

Hence I would suggest you to open phone support case to resolve the issue. We might need to troubleshoot the issue related to outlook or windows and we might need to gather additional dumps and logs which is not possible via this Forum

You can open phone support case by calling Microsoft Customer Central on 1800-936-4900. Alternately you can visit http://support.microsoft.com/oas to create phone support case

Hope this Helps

Thanks

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:07 PM

All replies

• One more thing - I'm not connected via a proxy, but I've tried the suggestion in this article, and it is still not working:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781579/en-us

Saturday, February 01, 2014 6:46 PM
  • And I should also point out that my Outlook is fully patched - version 15.0.4551.
    Saturday, February 01, 2014 8:38 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have any other accout configured in Outlook? If yes, can other accounts sync?

Please disable the firewall and anti-virus program to try again.

Please also logon your Outlook.com Webmail, check if the your Outlook.com status is ok:

https://status.live.com/

Regards,

Thanks,

Melon Chen

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here
    Monday, February 03, 2014 3:30 AM
  • I have no other accounts configured in Outlook, and even when I have problems connecting in Outlook, I have no difficulty access my account on the Outlook.com website or mobile app.

As I have mentioned, the problem is intermittent, so I can check your solution the next time the problem occurs.

However, since the problem comes and goes, and the configuration on my computer does not change, I am inclined to believe that perhaps there is an issue on the server side.

What I really would like to know is the exact meaning of that error message. Is there anyone at Microsoft who can explain it to me? How do I contact the team that deals with this directly?

Monday, February 03, 2014 9:22 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This is a quick note to let you know that we are performing research on this issue.

Thanks,

Melon Chen

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 12:21 PM
  • Hi,

For 80004005 error, it is mostly caused by the anti-virus program, so if this issue occurs next time, please disable your firewall and anti-virus program temporarily to check if it is related.

SyncStatus: 503 always implies there's an issue when the server is unavailable, I suspect it also may be caused by the firewall or anti-virus settings.

Thanks,

Melon Chen

Forum Support

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:28 AM
  • Can you provide more information about the 80004005 error? Is it documented anywhere?

One more thing I should note - when I cannot download email, it often helps if switch to "work offline" and then switch back to online again.

Thursday, February 06, 2014 8:25 PM
  • Hi,

I don't have a document which talks about exactly the issue you met. One same error code means different things in different scenarios. For the error code, we generally can search in Bing or http://search.microsoft.com/en-us/search.aspx .

Let's go back to this issue, "it often helps if switch to "work offline" and then switch back to online again", it sounds like something will always stop the connection later, thus I also suggest you run Outlook in Safe Mode to determine if it's 3rd-party add-ins related:

Press Win + R and type “outlook.exe /safe” in the blank box, then press Enter.

If there’s no problem in Safe Mode, disable the suspicious add-ins to verify which add-ins caused this issue.

Please also run Scanpst.exe to repair the current data file(.ost):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227

Regards,

Thanks,

Melon Chen

Forum Support

Friday, February 07, 2014 5:51 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Thanks,

Melon Chen

Forum Support

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:28 AM
  • To be honest - it wasn't very helpful.

From looking around in other forums, I see that I'm not the only one with a problem that is solved by going offline and going back online again. It seems to be more likely a server side issue - and I would assume that someone from Microsoft could actually confirm or deny it based on the error code I provided.

I understand that this is a free service, but as I pointed out, I'm wiling to pay to speak to someone who can actually solve the problem.
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks,

Melon Chen

Forum Support

Friday, February 14, 2014 7:29 AM
  • Hi,

I suppose you are using Exchange Active Sync in Outlook 2013 to connect to HOTMAIL. Here there is separate steps for logging when it comes to us.

Hence I would suggest you to open phone support case to resolve the issue. We might need to troubleshoot the issue related to outlook or windows and we might need to gather additional dumps and logs which is not possible via this Forum

You can open phone support case by calling Microsoft Customer Central on 1800-936-4900. Alternately you can visit http://support.microsoft.com/oas to create phone support case

Hope this Helps

Thanks

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:07 PM
  • I seem to have solved my problem of Outlook 2013 repeatedly disconnecting from outlook.com by (1.) enabling UPnP Service and (2.) disabling SPI Firewall on my router (running DD-WRT). I'm not sure which of the two changes fixed the problem, but I'm not messing with it since Outlook 2013 now remains connected to outlook.com.
    Friday, August 22, 2014 3:25 PM