none
[Outlook 2010] - How to change rule order?

Question

• How do I change the order rules are applied.  There is no up/down arrows when a rule is selected in Rules and Alerts.  Click and drag doesn't work, nor does select then + or -.

This is in a internet/POP (not Exchange) environment.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 4:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for using  Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum. 

From your description, I understand that  you would like to change the order of the applied rules in Outlook 2010. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

To change the order of the rules, we can highlight a rule and click the Move Up or Move Down arrow. I would like to confirm if you can see the arrows like in the following picture.

http://cid-f5f6581f81be39a8.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Office%202010/rules.jpg

If you are unable to see the arrows, we can try to create a new profile to test the issue.

Here are the detailed steps on how to create a new profile to test this issue

==============

1.    Exit Outlook.

2.    Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

3.    Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.    Click Add.

5.    Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6.    Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If this problem does not occur in the new Outlook profile, the old Outlook is corrupted. We can delete that and use a new Outlook profile.

However, if the problem persists in the new Outlook profile, please try to repair the Office programs from Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/Windows 7). Locate the Office program, right click it and choose Change. Then Repair.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, July 12, 2010 3:05 AM
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for using  Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum. 

From your description, I understand that  you would like to change the order of the applied rules in Outlook 2010. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

To change the order of the rules, we can highlight a rule and click the Move Up or Move Down arrow. I would like to confirm if you can see the arrows like in the following picture.

http://cid-f5f6581f81be39a8.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Office%202010/rules.jpg

If you are unable to see the arrows, we can try to create a new profile to test the issue.

Here are the detailed steps on how to create a new profile to test this issue

==============

1.    Exit Outlook.

2.    Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

3.    Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.    Click Add.

5.    Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6.    Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If this problem does not occur in the new Outlook profile, the old Outlook is corrupted. We can delete that and use a new Outlook profile.

However, if the problem persists in the new Outlook profile, please try to repair the Office programs from Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/Windows 7). Locate the Office program, right click it and choose Change. Then Repair.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, July 12, 2010 3:05 AM
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:37 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:15 AM
  •  

Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, July 12, 2010 3:05 AM
  • Yes, this solved my problem. The MoveUp, MoveDown buttons are really hard to find.
    Friday, June 03, 2011 2:48 AM