none
inbox says I have unread messages but I can't find them

Question

• My inbox says I have 45 unread messages (and the number gets higher every day) but I can't find them.  I have gone through all my emails but everything has been read.  How do I fix this?
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, please make sure if you get the unread message currently as the following way:

1.In the Navigation Pane, click the plus sign (+) next to Search Folders to display its subfolders.
    2.Click the Unread Mail folder. (If this folder is not exists, please right click the Search Folder and a new search folder.)

Your unread items are displayed in the message list. (I guess there are some unread RSS feeds bother you.)

If no unread mails in your folder. Please launch Outlook with cleanviews switch mode to fix it. (outlook.exe /cleanviews)

Good Luck.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 02, 2012 2:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, please make sure if you get the unread message currently as the following way:

1.In the Navigation Pane, click the plus sign (+) next to Search Folders to display its subfolders.
    2.Click the Unread Mail folder. (If this folder is not exists, please right click the Search Folder and a new search folder.)

Your unread items are displayed in the message list. (I guess there are some unread RSS feeds bother you.)

If no unread mails in your folder. Please launch Outlook with cleanviews switch mode to fix it. (outlook.exe /cleanviews)

Good Luck.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 02, 2012 2:43 AM
  • thank you.  It fixed itself somehow the next day.
    Leslie Seabury
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Exact answer.  The 'unread mail' item at the top didn't indicate any unread messages, but the inbox item indicated 25 unread messages but there were no unread messages displayed in the folder.

Did't know there was another Unread Mail folder.  Per your instructions, found all of them there.  So, all is ok. 

But why? How did they get there? And for what reason were they moved out of the inbox before I read them?  I know now to check it regularly, but it is a nuisance.  And I did miss some messages that were time urgent.

RW

Monday, April 16, 2012 9:01 AM
  • I have the same problem with Outlook 2011.  I see people on many forums have the same problem.  Tried everything and can't fix it.  This is driving me nuts, as client e-mails are often time-sensitive.
    • Proposed as answer by Netmon123 Saturday, November 30, 2013 11:33 PM
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 11:09 PM
  • I have same problem.. Inbox(2) but can't find any Unread messages with or without filtering.

Outlook 2010/Windows 7

TeKola

Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:00 PM
  • This is how i solved my problem:

1. Click on the View tab at the top
    2. In the Current View, click on Change View - > Make sure Hide Messages is not selected. 

Done. You have all your unread messages. 

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Thank you, that blue (1) was driving me insane!!!
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:26 PM
  • This was driving me crazy as well.  Here is how I solved it:

1. Right click on Inbox and Mark all as read

2. Go to each subfolder and Mark All Read

3. Run outlook.exe /cleanviews (enter it in Start panel to run this command)

4. Close Outlook and restart as Administrator

5. Again Mark all read (repeat in subfolders)

6. Close and restart normally

The unread count disappeared.  No clue where this ghostly email resided, but given that I checked all subfolders,  I feel ok that I did not miss anything. Be sure to check your rules too, in case you are moving incoming messages and don't remember setting up such a  rule. 

Good luck!

Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:22 PM
  • I you are having this problem with outlook.com. Go to options/Group by conversation and deactivate grouping by conversation. Then go to your inbox and you will be able to find the unread message.

• Proposed as answer by Joopie18 Friday, April 18, 2014 9:08 AM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 9:07 AM