none
Outlook 2010 - Contacting server for information while trying to print email message

Question

• Hello,

I am testing Outlook 2010 in combination with a mixed environment that has Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2010 servers. The rest of the Office Suite is still version 2003.

When a user tries to print a message that contains pictures (redirected to the internet), a message appears "contacting server for information". You can only click on the Cancel button. After a few clicks you can print the message (with all of the redirected links to the internet).

Does anyone has an idea how to solve this issue?

Thank you in advance.

Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:02 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I have opened a call and we solved the issue with the help of our friends at Microsoft, here comes the problem and solution.

We are using a Palo Alto firewall which does HTTP inspection. For some reason the downloading of the HTML code works fine when you open an email in Outlook 2010. When you try to print a message (for some reason) the firewall identifies the "same" traffic as a vulnerability because it uses "HTTP Options Method". Since this vulnerability only has an informational severity we excluded it from being scanned. Of course the problem then is fixed.

Greetings,

Joost Poulissen, Gemeente Roermond

Greetings, Joost Poulissen
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:43 AM

All replies

• I'm using Outlook 2010 and I recognize this situation :-(

When printing an email with external (linked) content, it takes some time for Outlook is able to display it correctly. And even sometimes the message won't show up for any reason while I can see it in the message itself.

You do NOT have to click, you have to WAIT. But why does it have to take so long! And indeed, how to solve this or workaround it?

With kindly Dutch greetings,

Arjan Vos, Logica

VosAJM - Woerden (NL)
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Hi,

Does the problem occur in clean boot mode?

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com   

• Edited by Sally Tang Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:17 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:59 AM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:02 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:06 AM
  •  

Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:17 AM
  • Hi.

We are moving to Exchange 2010 from GroupWise and we have experienced the exact same problem. The issue also occurs if you want to forward the email (as well as print).

I think the issue occurs when the embedded image is linked to a https site.

Cheers,

Thomas

Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Hallo Sally,

Sorry for my late reaction but I have had 3 weeks of vacation. The problem is still there however :-(

I am not able to test with clean boot because we use Windows XP clients.

Any help would be appriciated. By the way, Thomas is right, the error appearswhen the email contains an an embedded image which is linked to a https site.

Is it possible to open a case for us with microsoft, we are technet plus customer?

Greetings,

Friday, October 08, 2010 10:11 AM
  • Hello,

I have opened a call and we solved the issue with the help of our friends at Microsoft, here comes the problem and solution.

We are using a Palo Alto firewall which does HTTP inspection. For some reason the downloading of the HTML code works fine when you open an email in Outlook 2010. When you try to print a message (for some reason) the firewall identifies the "same" traffic as a vulnerability because it uses "HTTP Options Method". Since this vulnerability only has an informational severity we excluded it from being scanned. Of course the problem then is fixed.

Greetings,

Greetings, Joost Poulissen
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Joost,

Thank you for sharing this solution from Microsoft. I am glad it worked for you.

I wanted to share for the recorded that I have a client who contacted me with this issue and unfortunately the solution did not work for him. If I understand your solution well, then temporarily dropping the firewall, and anti-virus programs would temporarily clear up this issue correct? With this understanding I tried this and this does not prevent the "Contact server for information" dialog that comes up in Office 2010 Outlook Print Preview (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit).

From my research of many different threads, I am disappointed to find that this symptom appears to be a problem dating as far back as 10 years ago according to one CNET poster (see post#14 here http://tinyurl.com/26ce7tj ). This is one of those Symptoms that can be the result of different scenarios, evidenced by the fact that this solution, that the last two solutions that I have found have not solved my clients issue.

I would like partner with an MVP or a MSFT representative to get find all scenarios that leads to this symptom as it would be nice to have all solutions located in one place like a KB Article or on someones MVP website.

Roderick,
    Seattle, WA

Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Is there any resolution?  I agree with Roderick that the firewall approach doesn't work.  I am running Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 64 bit and experience the "contactingthe server for information" message when printing emails with heavy HTML, graphics, etc. 

Matt

Friday, January 21, 2011 4:49 PM
  • I agree that the firewall issue is not Working. Is there any solution ?

Kind regards

WIm Bartels

Monday, January 31, 2011 10:28 AM
  • I am using standalone outlook 2010 on my w7/64bit computer. The system works Ok for days and then sudenly this message "contacting the server for information" opos up. Sometimes results in a not responding outllom app. What can be the reason?
    Monday, May 09, 2011 6:58 PM
  • I am seeing the same issue in Outlook 2010 32 bit (v14.0.5128.5000) When you go to print multi page emails that have lots of HTML in them, the print preview seems to hang dfor a long time and throw up the "contacting server for information" dialog multiple times.  Eventually after several minutes the print preview will come up fully and then you then can actually print the document.  using the Quickprint button does the same thing (iwas hoping to get around preview using Quickprint but it did not help).

This happens on my corporate PC and personal one as well, installs were done completely separately from different media.  Tried with several printers from different manufacturers so the issue is not driver or hardware specific, I believe its fully an outlook issue.  There are no internal firewalls on this network that that can be safely ruled out.

Suggestions?

--Steve

Steve
    Friday, May 20, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Same problem for me, no solutions found. W7 32-bit Outlook 2010...
    Friday, October 21, 2011 8:24 PM
  • We have same problem here in our Small business with Exchange 2003, Windows 7 32 bit Client PC and Outlook 2010. Emails with HTML open fine. But when you try to print, message from Word says Contacting server for several minutes. Sometimes Outlook will error with "not responding" for a while. This is very frustrating. I have disabled VirusScan and even created a new Standard TCP/IP printer with Postscript drivers. Nothing seems to help. Ran a Repair on Office. And still the same Problem. Microsoft needs to own up to this and fix it. Its not a firewall issue.
    Friday, November 04, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Try this hotfix

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2475877

Monday, November 07, 2011 6:17 PM
  • or goto the location in the outlook 2010

File --> Options --> Trust center --> Trust center settings --> Automatic download---> (Disable option ) --> permit downloads in e-mail messages from senders and to recipients defined in the safe senders and recipients list used by the junk e-mail filters

Monday, November 07, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Disabling that option worked for me, now the print preview has some missing images with placeholders, I have not tried printing it yet to see the results, but it was almost instantly able to click printer options and such, with no pop up message from Outlook, thanks sanjays11 ! Nice find. I wish there was a way to turn off the preview as an option, I usually dont need it, and if I do, I would like to choose that, not be forced to see it, much less have to spend minutes waiting on it when I just to quickly print something.
    Cliff Hughes (MSFT)
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:09 PM
  • This fixed it for me as well Sanjays11.  The trust center option... with that one checked, I couldn't print iTunes receipts without a ton of time/errors... uncheck that, works like a champ.  We had this issue on many clients in the office with Win 7 x64, Office 2010 SP1, Exchange 2010.

Really wish MS would own up to this and fix it.  It has nothing to do with our firewall either.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Our user doesnt even have this option enabled and the issue with printing > contacting the server message is happening, any more ideas?

I have been looking at hundreds of post about this issue, there seems to be no sure fix?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:40 PM
  • The only thing that has worked for us is adding the following reg fix, which isn't an ideal option.  Works on 2010.

BlockHTTPImages

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327635

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:59 PM
  • I haven't found a solution to this problem (which I'm also experiencing), but I did come up with a work-around. If your email server has OWA access, then try using that to print the information. I just did it and it worked.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:58 PM
  • As a workaround you can open the email then choose Actions > View in Browser > then ALT-P

If you can print in OWA then this will work as well.

Monday, October 22, 2012 10:39 PM