none
Word 2010: Multilevel Numbering List field blacked out.

Question

• I'm using multilevel Numbering to outline a document and I keep getting a black highlight over number field hiding the number.  It doesn't always affect every level.  But its annoying.  What's going on?

1.0  PROCEDURE

1.1  Open Requisition

XXXX Author Requisition (The XXX represents the blacked out area.

Note:  I did create a group of styles in a template and use the template to create new documents. 

HELP!!!!!!

Thanks!

Joe

Monday, April 04, 2011 8:17 PM

Answers

• Note that if you attached numbering to heading styles, these styles have the "Keep with next" option enabled by default. Use the Modify Style dialog box to turn it off for each of the affected styles/numbering levels. In the dialog box, click Format, and then click Paragraph. You'll find the option on the Line and Page Breaks tab.

Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

"Joe1959" wrote in message news:ab885a38-8eeb-4ccf-a266-97b5aff07bed@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Okay, new problem...

I have a couple of locations where the numbering stops in the middle of the page and jumps to the next page continuing the numbering format.

1.1.1.        SOURCE AND COST REQUISITION

Locate a suitable supplier/vendor and cost for REQUISITION

[In the middle of the page, the next number jumps to the next page]

1.1.2.        VALIDATE PURCHASING AUTHORITY

I checked for some sort of break but found none using the Selection Pane feature to see the sections.

Any suggestions?

Joe

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:20 PM

All replies

• By the way, this is not a Beta version.  Office 2010 Business: Microsoft Word Version 14.0.51.28.5000
    Monday, April 04, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Did you follow the procedure on the following page of fellow MVP Shauna Kelly's website:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Joe1959" wrote in message news:dbd02aa6-3a50-4d2f-b133-753d92fd2643@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I'm using multilevel Numbering to outline a document and I keep getting a black highlight over number field hiding the number.  It doesn't always affect every level.  But its annoying.  What's going on?

1.0 PROCEDURE

1.1 Open Requisition

XXXX Author Requisition (The XXX represents the blacked out area.

Note:  I did create a group of styles in a template and use the template to create new documents.

HELP!!!!!!

Thanks!

Joe

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:55 AM
  • Doug...

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.  I didn't use this the first time around.  After reading the article and supporting articles its clear that I was close.  And yet, because I broke some of the rules, I had problems.  Not as intuitive as I had thought.

I've followed the directions and created my template.  It seems to be working.  Now for the real test. 

Great support by Shauna Kelley!  You both are heroes in my book!

Hip Hip Horray!

Joe Charleston!

Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Okay, new problem...

I have a couple of locations where the numbering stops in the middle of the page and jumps to the next page continuing the numbering format. 

[In the middle of the page, the next number jumps to the next page]

I checked for some sort of break but found none using the Selection Pane feature to see the sections.

Any suggestions?

Joe

Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Note that if you attached numbering to heading styles, these styles have the "Keep with next" option enabled by default. Use the Modify Style dialog box to turn it off for each of the affected styles/numbering levels. In the dialog box, click Format, and then click Paragraph. You'll find the option on the Line and Page Breaks tab.

Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

"Joe1959" wrote in message news:ab885a38-8eeb-4ccf-a266-97b5aff07bed@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Okay, new problem...

[In the middle of the page, the next number jumps to the next page]

Any suggestions?

Joe

Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Stefan: 

It worked.  Thanks for the help!

One other question...Can you explain why I was having problems with with my first issue above?  Following the instructions seems to have fixed my problem.  Today, everything was in order.  What compells the numbering to be irradic?  Okay, perhaps I should learn to hold my tongue right. 

What I'm asking is diagnostic information that could provide recommended actions for particular failure modes regarding numbering.  Maybe the answer is simply follow the instructions the first time. 

Thanks everyone!

Joe

Sunday, April 10, 2011 9:48 PM
  • I'm glad you got it sorted.

As far as the first question is concerned, all I can say is that Word is a bit picky when it comes to numbering; it does expect us, the users, to do everything right. Sometimes things don't work even if we do things properly...

Monday, April 11, 2011 8:59 AM
  • Stefan, if you're still around:

I followed Shauna's directions to the "T" and it all looked beautiful, and saved just fine--until I closed and re-opened the doc, and the blacked-out numbers were there again foo SOME of the headings. The first time, I went back and re-did everything--and by that I mean I recreated the list style, went to each heading at every level and cleared the formatting, then re-applied the heading (based on the new list), but it happened again. Ideas?

Many thanks, 

Juliette

Friday, February 01, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Stefan, if you're still around:

I followed Shauna's directions to the "T" and it all looked beautiful, and saved just fine--until I closed and re-opened the doc, and the blacked-out numbers were there again foo SOME of the headings. The first time, I went back and re-did everything--and by that I mean I recreated the list style, went to each heading at every level and cleared the formatting, then re-applied the heading (based on the new list), but it happened again. Ideas?

Many thanks, 

Juliette

If you are allowed to share the document, or relevant portions of it, please do that. You can upload it to SkyDrive, make it public, and post a link in a message in this thread.

Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:43 PM
  • I had the same problem and there are a number of fixes on line but when I tried them, although they worked on screen when the document was saved and re-opened the problem came back. After many tries I find the following works and when the document is saved and retrieved it is still ok.

Put the curser to the right of the "Black block" where the numbering should be. Right click on the mouse to bring up the menu. Left click on "continue numbering". The numbers reappear, and when saved and retrieved the issue does not re-occur.

Best regards.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:02 PM