none
Don't use Backstage option in Office 2013

Question

• The new backstage view in Office 2010 was great for a business environment.  It showed a long list of recent workbooks and recent folders and so, even working on many workbooks, there was a very good chance that one, or at worst two, clicks would get me to the workbook I needed to work on.

In 2013 this is a whole lot harder as you only see either recent workbooks or recent folders and the lists take up more space so fewer files/folders are visible.  Also Skydrive, which I doubt if many businesses would use, is far too prominent and cannot be removed (?)  The list of recent files in the menu bar is too narrow so it is often not possible to distinguish between files with similar names without hovering over and waiting!

Anyway, there is an option, (File/Options/Save) "Don't show the Backstage when opening or saving files".  I have tried this option in Word and Excel and it doesn't seem to make any difference, at all.  Am I missing something?

Oh BTW as IT manager I am recommending that we do not move to Office 2013.  Backstage and color theme are the killers.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:44 PM

Answers

• 1st, well, I just counted the number of the Recent Workbooks on Office 2010 and Office 2013, and the number of Office 2010 is 3 more than Office 2013. When Office 2010 has 21 recent workbooks, Office 2013 has 18 on my 19" screen (1280*1024 resolution). If that matters, try click the Send a Frown button in any Office applications to send your feedback to the Product team, :)

2nd, the width of the Recent Workbooks in Office 2013 are almost the same as Office 2010, I mean, if you can see the full name in Office 2010, you should also be able to see the full name in Office 2013.

From the above, it seems you might have mixed up the Start screen with the Recent Workbooks menu (which, BTW, also shows 16 recent workbooks).

To turn off the Start screen, uncheck the option "Show the Start screen when this application starts" in Excel or other Office applications.

3rd, the option "Don't show the Backstage when opening or saving files" does make a difference, try figure it out by compare the save or open behavior between turn it on and off.

4th, for the "color theme" issue, now we have "White", "Light Gray" and "Dark Gray", and our product team is also aware of the feedback from our cutomers, let's hope we can get more themes from the future release.

5th, for the SkyDrive, yes, I haven't found any option to remove it. Unless you are interested in creating your own customized backstage view. If so, I'd suggest you to visit the Office for Developers forums for further discussion: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officedev

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:04 AM

All replies

• 1st, well, I just counted the number of the Recent Workbooks on Office 2010 and Office 2013, and the number of Office 2010 is 3 more than Office 2013. When Office 2010 has 21 recent workbooks, Office 2013 has 18 on my 19" screen (1280*1024 resolution). If that matters, try click the Send a Frown button in any Office applications to send your feedback to the Product team, :)

2nd, the width of the Recent Workbooks in Office 2013 are almost the same as Office 2010, I mean, if you can see the full name in Office 2010, you should also be able to see the full name in Office 2013.

From the above, it seems you might have mixed up the Start screen with the Recent Workbooks menu (which, BTW, also shows 16 recent workbooks).

To turn off the Start screen, uncheck the option "Show the Start screen when this application starts" in Excel or other Office applications.

3rd, the option "Don't show the Backstage when opening or saving files" does make a difference, try figure it out by compare the save or open behavior between turn it on and off.

4th, for the "color theme" issue, now we have "White", "Light Gray" and "Dark Gray", and our product team is also aware of the feedback from our cutomers, let's hope we can get more themes from the future release.

5th, for the SkyDrive, yes, I haven't found any option to remove it. Unless you are interested in creating your own customized backstage view. If so, I'd suggest you to visit the Office for Developers forums for further discussion: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officedev

Max Meng

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:04 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Max Meng

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

I've marked the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Max Meng

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 7:09 AM
  • Max, 

See the screenshot.  Can you help me identify the differences?  Left is with "Don't show the backstage" checked, right is without "don't show the backstage" checked.   BTW, in the same set of options, I have another labeled "Show additional places for saving, even if sign-in may be required."  If you uncheck that, sky-drive disappears from the backstage, but the backstage still comes up.  

Many other places on the internet say you can disable the backstage and go directly to the save as dialogue, but I'm not getting that to work.   

Thanks if you can help.

• Edited by RK_Holtec Thursday, September 05, 2013 6:08 PM
    Thursday, September 05, 2013 6:07 PM
  • To avoid the backstage, 1st, we need to have the "Don't show the backstage ..." checked, which you have done.

2nd, make sure you don't go the backstage to open or save the document...

Instead, we can either use the shortcut keys to open or save the document, or we can add them to the Quick Access Toolbar.

Shortcut keys to open or save the document:

Open: Ctrl + O

Save: Ctrl + S

Save As: F12

Max Meng

Friday, September 06, 2013 2:16 AM
  • Max,

These options certainly work, thanks for providing them.  I'm curious, though, because you said the "don't show the backstage option" definitely does make a difference.  What does that option do?  I cannot detect any changes in behavior.  

Thanks again for showing me how to avoid extra steps saving my work.

Friday, September 06, 2013 2:20 PM
  • It does make some difference when we are not in the backstage view.

For example, when we save a new document that has never been saved. Or when we use Ctrl + O to open another document.

However, the Save As function never go to the backstage view, I'll try to confirm whether this behavior is by design.

Max Meng

Monday, September 09, 2013 2:04 AM
  • The "Do not show backstage view" option DOES NOT WORK!!!!!

When I click Save As, I always get it. ITS SO ANNOYING. Why does Microsoft think it's a good idea to force these dumbed down interfaces on us. Arghhhhhhh.

Using keyboard shortcuts is not a solution. If you have the option to turn it off, then ensure when I click it it turns off. As the guy earlier posted, the 2 screenshots, NO DIFFERENCE. No answer from you either as to what that is!!!!! i.e. BUG!!!

Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:00 PM
  • When you click the File tab, you get the Backstage; this is by design. After you have selected "Do not show..." option, to avoid the Backstage, you must access the dialog boxes via keyboard shortcuts or by adding buttons to your Quick Access Toolbar.

You can argue that it is a design flaw, but it isn't technically a bug. What you can do is post a suggestion to change the behavior. Try the feedback forums at http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Office/feedback.aspx?formID=375 and/or https://feedback.office.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scrx=1.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:19 PM
  • I am going through the same problem.  Specifically the "Anyway, there is an option, (File/Options/Save) "Don't show the Backstage when opening or saving files".  I have tried this option in Word and Excel and it doesn't seem to make any difference, at all.  Am I missing something?" - part.

The option to disable the backstage view work only when you start up Excel.  Attemping to open a file with the keyboard combination Alt-File-Open brings back the backstage view after the first file.

I don't have a solution but I believe I have the same problem you have.

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 12:33 AM