none
Excel 2010 - Excel cannot complete this task with available resources.

Question

• Hi there, I have a query related to Excel 2010. When I attach a 2010 Excel workbook to an email and then try to open it up from the unsent email (so make sure I have attached the correct one), I get this message...

"Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other applications."

When I OK tha, I get this message...

"Excel found unreadable content in '101210 - Outstanding fees as at 10 December 2010 (2).xlsx' Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook , click Yes."

The workbook contains very little information. so it is only a few KB in size.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Viv Haig
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This problem occurs when both of the following conditions are true:

• You have turned on the Protect and Share Workbook feature.

Note To locate the Protect and Share Workbook feature, on the Tools menu, point to Protection, and then click Protect and Share Workbook.
    • When you configured the Protect and Share Workbook feature, you typed a password in the Password (optional) box to password protect the workbook.

To work around this problem, do not password protect the shared workbook.

Also see here for similar issue:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/excelchart/thread/d31b1822-ebde-4c9b-8d11-e54bb652847d

Hope that helps.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This problem occurs when both of the following conditions are true:

• You have turned on the Protect and Share Workbook feature.

Note To locate the Protect and Share Workbook feature, on the Tools menu, point to Protection, and then click Protect and Share Workbook.
    • When you configured the Protect and Share Workbook feature, you typed a password in the Password (optional) box to password protect the workbook.

To work around this problem, do not password protect the shared workbook.

Also see here for similar issue:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/excelchart/thread/d31b1822-ebde-4c9b-8d11-e54bb652847d

Hope that helps.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:57 AM
  • Thank you. I'll pass your reply on to my client to see if that helps.
    Viv Haig
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Actually, in exactly these same circumstances we have found that the Windows Explorer preview pane will cause this issue. Turn it off - particularly in the insert attachment dialog box.

Hope this helps!
    Anita

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:03 PM
  • I have files that I leave protected with 3 cells open to change, I don't want to have to protect these files everytime I use them so that is why i leave from protected.  How can I avoid having this problem with the error message without having to unprotect and reprotect everytime?
    Friday, April 15, 2011 9:21 PM