none
DDE server window error - Office 2010

Question

• dear microsoft team,

i recently installed microsoft office 2010 on my company laptop which is running on Windows XP sp3 platform.

since then, the sofeware is not runing properly, the office 2010 programs stop responding everytime after i open them, it happened in Word, Excel, and Access, i am sure if i use other program in Office 2010 they would be the same. i suffer some data lost as i had to manually force to close the Not responding window.

another funny thing since i installed the lastest version of Microsoft office 2010 is that, everytime i try to shut down the laptop, the DDE server Window error message keeps showing up, sometimes it comes out

few times, so i had to wait longtime until i can shut the computer.

after tried few times, i notice that if i don't use any of the Office 2010 program when turn on the computer,

i can shut down without hassel, but as long as after i used word, excel or access then DDE server window error shows up when i try to shut down the machine. so i think it has to do with the new Office 2010.

i'd appreciate if you can help here. thanks in advace.

regards

xiaoming

• Moved by Sean Jenkin Monday, July 11, 2011 5:35 PM (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile and Recognition System Discussions)
    Monday, July 11, 2011 2:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Regarding this issue, you can check this KB:

The program stops responding when you try to open or to save a file in an Office 2002 program, in an Office 2003 program, in an Office 2007 program, or in an Office 2010 program

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313937

2. If you received any error code or the error message, please let me know. So we can handle this issue better.

3. If the issue still persists, let's use safe mode to check issue, you can refer to the following template:

To start the Office program in safe mode

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2. Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Office program you want to start.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Office program:

Disable add-ins

1. Click File menu, click Options > Add-in, click Go button in the Manage: Com-in Add.
    2. Check if there are any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.
    3. Close the Office program and restart it.
    4. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Office program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

If the problem persists after this, let's try to repair the Office program from:

Start -> Control Panel > Programs and Features, right click the Office program and choose Change, then Repair.

Best Regards,

Nick Wan

• Marked as answer by Nick Wan Monday, July 18, 2011 6:22 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:08 AM