none
How to stop Outlook 2010 downloading messages again?

Question

• Well, I have pop3 account and keep a copy in server. However, when I change my OS and reinstall outlook 2010, it starts downloading all messages in server again. How can I stop outlook downloading same messages again after new installation?
    Monday, May 17, 2010 6:14 AM

Answers

• Because you changed your OS, the data Outlook uses to remember what messages have been downloaded was wiped out and must be rebuilt from scratch.  If you want to keep data on the server but don't want Outlook to download it again, log into your mailbox using a web browser, create another folder, and move the old messages from the Inbox on the server to the new folder.  With a POP account, Outlook can see only the Inbox and if there's nothing in it, Outlook can't download it.  If it's in another folder, you'll still be able to see it on line.
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:07 PM

All replies

• Any idea?
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Because you changed your OS, the data Outlook uses to remember what messages have been downloaded was wiped out and must be rebuilt from scratch.  If you want to keep data on the server but don't want Outlook to download it again, log into your mailbox using a web browser, create another folder, and move the old messages from the Inbox on the server to the new folder.  With a POP account, Outlook can see only the Inbox and if there's nothing in it, Outlook can't download it.  If it's in another folder, you'll still be able to see it on line.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Thanks! So, there is no option I can connect to my email server ( via outlook ) and choose which messages to download and which ones not to?
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Correct.  There is no such option.

Monday, May 31, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Well, if you choose to download headers only, you can then mark which messages to retrieve in full. 

Send/Receive | Preferences | Download Preferences
    Send/Receive | Server | Mark to Download
    Send/Receive | Server | Process Marked Headers

However, not all features work with all Mail Server types.

Simon Jones http://pcpro.co.uk
    Monday, May 31, 2010 10:07 PM
  • It is such a very bad idea of OUTLOOK.

I use Yahoo business account, it keeps downloading all the old ones when something happens to the PC like reinstall or moving. MS should create some advanced future to help the users. I have seen this issue since MS office2003. Still not fixed

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:02 PM
  • This is propably a limitation of the POP protocol, not Outlook.

POP was not designed to support the scenario you want. It is a remarkably dumb protocol, which is not surprising as it is so old. POP was written to enable email to be downloaded ONCE from the mail server to the ONE email client on one machine. Extra bells and whistles were incorporated later to allow you to leave the email on the server (for x number of days) so you could download the mail from more than one email client (on more than one machine). But POP still expects you to delete the mail from the server eventually. If you never delete the mail from the server then you should not be surprised if at some point in the future you find the mail being downloaded again.

IMAP and Exchange (MAPI) are more modern protocols and with many more features, one of them being that they were designed to keep mail on the server indefinitely and replicate changes (IE new incomming and outgoing email) to any number of email clients (on different machines).

Microsoft can't just invent new features for POP and put them in Outlook. Changes to POP requires the involvement of W3C, the Internet standards body, and all the mail server manufacturers would also have to change their programs to comply.

Simon Jones
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Hi, from reading articles and blogs, I resolved this problem by:

1) Unchecking the :"Leave of copy of the messages on the server". Be-ware, u will lose all data on the server.

2) Server Timeouts: "Long, 10 minutes".

3) After account set-up, "Download Headers". The headers downloaded in 2 minutes. Then deleted all the headers. Then click "Send Receive All". You can select, if you don't want to delete any of the Headers.

;))

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Work Offline.
    Monday, February 27, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem, I Solved It!!!

By a unknown reason if you have many POP3 accounts and you download all in the same inbox the Outlook 2010 download the same messages again and again and ....

I configure the email to download into a folder:

INBOX

| ______ FOLDER

In the list of accounts use the button change folder.

I hope that this solution works

Best regards,

RICARDO PADILLA
    www.capitalcolombia.com

• Edited by daripava Saturday, August 25, 2012 3:21 AM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 3:20 AM
  • It's happened to me with Outlook 2010 twice in the last month. 7000 old emails. I didn't change O/S or anything.  It just happens out of the blue. What's up with that?

Nathan Manning

W. Nathan Manning Space City, USA (Huntsville, AL)

Friday, January 25, 2013 1:21 PM