none
Transferring Excel 2003 Personal.xls macros and the Excel.xlb toolbars that use them into Excel 2013.

Question

• In previous versions of Excel (up thru Excel 2003), you merely had to open Personal.xls and Excel.xlb in the new version to transfer in all your tools. Has Microsoft addressed this issue since the that capability went away in Excel 2007?
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try the following steps:

1. Do a search for *.xlb
     Your files will need to be unhidden. Go to > Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Show hidden files and folders.

2. Copy to the file to a disk, CD, or server drive
     3. Copy the file to the following path:

C:\documents and settings\%User Name%\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart\

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For transfer Personal.xls file, please follow the steps below:

Before you convert Excel 2003 macros to Excel 2013, make a backup copy of your macros.

After you've made a backup copy, open your Excel 2003 workbook containing your macros in Excel 2013. The biggest difference is setting security settings to allow macros to run.

For macros stored in individual Excel 2003 workbooks, follow this method. Skip to the Personal Workbook Macros section below for converting universal macros. If your macros run with no problem, try to run macros as usual. If you have no problems, select File and Save As and choose Excel Workbook to save your workbook in the Excel 2013 format.

If you receive an error message or the macro doesn't run at all, you must change your security settings. Go to File and select Options. Select Trust Center. Press the Trust Center Settings button. Choose Macro Settings. Select either Disable all macros with notification or Enable all macros. This will allow all macros to run, no matter what or you'll be able to choose whether to disable macros or not when a new workbook is opened.

Jaynet Zhang

Friday, March 01, 2013 10:01 AM
  • What is the trick to transferring in the custom tool bars previously stored as Excel.xlb.  If I can't, do I have to add one button at a time to the tool bar stripes and then associate one macro at a time to each of them. Then may I edit the button images as I could in Excel 2003.

Friday, March 01, 2013 11:35 PM
  • Hi,

Try the following steps:

1. Do a search for *.xlb
     Your files will need to be unhidden. Go to > Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Show hidden files and folders.

2. Copy to the file to a disk, CD, or server drive
     3. Copy the file to the following path:

C:\documents and settings\%User Name%\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart\

Jaynet Zhang

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:19 AM