How to restore a v3 stsadm backup?

Question

• I have Sharepoint Server 2007 running on a Windows 2003 server. The server hardware is on its last legs. So I need to make a change.

My first attempt was to start using Office365, then I learned there is no migration path for the entirety of my data. I have given up on this option.

My second attempt was to get another server lined up, again with Server 2003 and Sharepoint Server 2007. Should be simple right?

1. Backup existing farm

This backup thingy has worked for year, never had a need for a restore, but now that I do, it no longer works. After I selected the farm and then click on "proceed to backup options" it sits there with the progress bar slowly creeping up to midway, then refreshing the page where I need to select the farm. Any suggestions?

2. Site Templates

An alternative strategy was to create site templates on the old server and then use these to create new sites (with my data) on the new server.

OK, sounds easy right? Well, the site template gets uploaded fine. Then when I get to create a new site there is not an option to select my custom site template. Just the standard ones. Any suggestions?

3. STSADM backup and restore

Well, then I thought I would create a backup using stsadm, which I what I succeeded in. At least I have a backup file sitting in a folder.

Restoring the file is a whole other story.  This is what I use for the restore stsadm -o restore servername -filename c:\data\backupservername.bac -overwrite

The result of this entry is "command line error".

Any suggestions?

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, January 09, 2012 2:34 PM stsadm added to title
    Monday, January 09, 2012 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hello. I just wanted to follow-up with this as well and second Emir's idea to do a new installation of SharePoint and then move the databases from the current SQL instance to the new one. While that method may be easier, if it is not an option, more information from the logs is something that would be helpful to try and identify what is going on with teh backup and restore commands.
    Regards,

Jerad Plesuk
    Technical Support | SharePoint Technologies | Microsoft Corporation
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, February 17, 2012 9:25 AM
    Friday, February 03, 2012 10:16 PM

All replies

• On point one, you'd be best checking the network activity and the SQL Server Proceses in Task Manager before deciding that it's not working.  The refresh rate on the GUI is a poor indicator.

For back-ups, looks fine for me but try: -

• CD to the directory where the file is and just use the file name
    • try backupservername.bak instead of backupservername.bac (shouldn't make a difference)
    • Make sure that you're using -o not -0 for the command

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Monday, January 09, 2012 2:58 PM
  • OK, I found that I missed the -url operator.

After making that change the restore completed without errors.

Although I had made the backup of the top level site the restore did not work for the 2nd level sites. The links came through but the sites do not exist

Any suggestions?

OK, so I think that I would backup the individual subsites but stsadm back only works for top sites.

Any suggestions?

Back from my original post..... why can I not use the site templates?

Monday, January 09, 2012 3:43 PM
  • On point one, you'd be best checking the network activity and the SQL Server Proceses in Task Manager before deciding that it's not working.  The refresh rate on the GUI is a poor indicator.

For back-ups, looks fine for me but try: -

• CD to the directory where the file is and just use the file name
    • try backupservername.bak instead of backupservername.bac (shouldn't make a difference)
    • Make sure that you're using -o not -0 for the command

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

At one point I need to get to a screen where I can set the destination, right? I never get that screen, so I am sure it is not working.
    Monday, January 09, 2012 3:44 PM
  • There are many parts to a SharePoint farm and unfortunately, simply doing a SharePoint backup will not get everything. I have a few questions. What type of install did you do? Single server? Farm? Have you added custom solutions? Custom web parts? Have you customized sites using SharePoint Designer?

If you did an Advanced>Complete install (best practice when installing SharePoint) you could try bringing up your new server, adding it to the farm and then moving the roles over to this new server. If you did a basic install, then this is not an option.

Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:09 AM
  • single server, single farm. Too long ago to remember was kind of install I did.

No custom anything.

Some workflows have been customized with Sharepoint Designer.

This is a cut and dry Sharepoint install.

Back up is a backup. No qualifications.

I am interested to learn more about what you mean by bringning up my server and adding it to the farm.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:38 PM
  • There really is no such thing as a cut and dry SharePoint install. As you are finding out. If a single server install was performed, then you can't add another server to the install, which is why I was asking. If you're not sure, is your SharePoint using a separate SQL Server or is it using a local SQL express install?
    Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:26 PM
  • > using a separate SQL Server

>  or is it using a local SQL express install?

Let's be exact here and call it an in-built SQL Server install. (WSS 3.0 = "Windows Internal Database" but afaik for MOSS 2007 it's got no special name but just is "in-built").

The reason for the minor correction is that it is possible to install SQL Server Express [could also be "local"] and then do an install of MOSS 2007 that uses it (which would be the first part of your question even though there you meant full SQL Server). What you are asking about is not that - it's the install of MOSS 2007 that is on a single server where the install routine installs the in-built version of SQL Server Express as part of the install.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

Monday, January 16, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Hey we've got a thread here going about getting you SharePoint support. Go check it out and let us know if you're interested:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/a3e20c56-b064-44f5-86e9-1597a7234537

Thanks! And thanks to Mike for following up for you. First time a Moderator has asked this for another community member!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Friday, January 27, 2012 1:18 AM
  • Hi a_T,

Can you find any error in ULS log when you after proceed to backup step?
    We can also use SQL Server tools to back up SharePoint farm.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262412(office.12).aspx

Or use import/export command to migrate content, it will export with subsites.

And we are not able to add new server to stand-alone SharePoint farm, instead, we need to

1.       Install a new SharePoint server farm.

2.       Move database from standalone server to the server farm.

3.       Create and attach data from the Shared Services Provider.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262325(office.12).aspx

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir Liu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact

tnmff@microsoft.com.

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 03, 2012 9:38 AM
  • Hello. I just wanted to follow-up with this as well and second Emir's idea to do a new installation of SharePoint and then move the databases from the current SQL instance to the new one. While that method may be easier, if it is not an option, more information from the logs is something that would be helpful to try and identify what is going on with teh backup and restore commands.
    Regards,

Jerad Plesuk
    Technical Support | SharePoint Technologies | Microsoft Corporation
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, February 17, 2012 9:25 AM
    Friday, February 03, 2012 10:16 PM
  • OK, I started this thread a month ago. Maybe with expectation that I could get some pointers on how to proceed within a few days.

I made two complete wipes, reformats and new installs. Both times I got lost in figuring out the correct syntax for the services.

I installed and uninstalled Sharepoint 2007 a few times too, switching between single server and farm installs.

None of them successful.

I broke down and used one of my support incidents.

With a skilled MS Support Engineer on the other side it still took a good 6 hours of moving databases, setting permissions, and figuring out why things weren't working.

There is upwards of 40 hours of my time in here, plus the support incident.

That may sound OK to you IT guys who have nothing else to worry about, but that is not me. This came out of my after work time.

Friday, February 17, 2012 2:32 AM