none
Word 2010 Templates and Custom Ribbons

Question

• In Word 2003, you could have a toolbar, even with macros, stored in a template.  Therefore, when a user uses the template, the toolbar is available in the document.  How is this accomplished now in Word 2010?  I can't have a custom UI for all our highly customized templates on the desktop because not all users have access to some of the templates, they are specialized by different practices.

How can you create a custom ribbon that is tied to a specific template, including a global add-in template?  Any references woudl help. 

Thanks

Elsie

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 11:04 PM

Answers

• See the following page of Greg Maxey's website:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm

Using that information, you can create ribbon customizations that are unique to each template.

Alternatively, the buttons from the custom toolbars in your Word 2003 template will appear under the Add-ins tab.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"elsiedesign" wrote in message news:e79d5649-1d1d-46bb-8c19-36dd1ebd1b18@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

In Word 2003, you could have a toolbar, even with macros, stored in a template.  Therefore, when a user uses the template, the toolbar is available in the document.  How is this accomplished now in Word 2010?  I can't have a custom UI for all our highly customized templates on the desktop because not all users have access to some of the templates, they are specialized by different practices.

How can you create a custom ribbon that is tied to a specific template, including a global add-in template?  Any references woudl help.

Thanks

Elsie

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, August 06, 2010 8:26 AM
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 6:44 AM

All replies

• See the following page of Greg Maxey's website:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm

Using that information, you can create ribbon customizations that are unique to each template.

Alternatively, the buttons from the custom toolbars in your Word 2003 template will appear under the Add-ins tab.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"elsiedesign" wrote in message news:e79d5649-1d1d-46bb-8c19-36dd1ebd1b18@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

In Word 2003, you could have a toolbar, even with macros, stored in a template.  Therefore, when a user uses the template, the toolbar is available in the document.  How is this accomplished now in Word 2010?  I can't have a custom UI for all our highly customized templates on the desktop because not all users have access to some of the templates, they are specialized by different practices.

Thanks

Elsie

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, August 06, 2010 8:26 AM
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 6:44 AM
  • Hi, thanks very much for the info.  I'll check out the link you sent to me. 
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:43 PM