none
Outllook clients sending partial messages / truncated email body

Question

• I am stumped on this one and could use a little help.
    Several clients are experiencing partially truncated emails both sent and received.
    It is happening on Outlook 2003 and 2010.
    The Sent Items folder also shows the truncated email.

For instance, lets say I, Mike, type out a 1000 word email to my friend Jane.  Jane receives an email that might only have a few sentences and it might cut off right in the middle of a sentence.  I check my Sent Items and it only shows exactly what Jane received which is much less than I typed.  Most of my text has simply disappeared.

I see others with similar issues but it is usually the entire message body that is missing, not partial text missing.
    I have opened the sent item using the web interface and it is the same problem.

The Exchange server is 2010 Standard Edition running on Windows Server 2008 R2 and I recently updated all OS patches, Exchange SP3 and Update Rollup 4 for SP3 and my issue remains.

I have documented at least 1 case where the sender and receiver both have Outlook 2010, although most of my users have Outlook 2003.

In addition to all the troubleshooting listed above, I have also used every known to me AV scanning tool such as Combofix, RKILL, TDSkiller, MalwareBytes, HitmanPro etc..  Nothing out of the ordinary found. 

ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Also, here is a IT admin on another forum with the same issue.  I am copying the text from my post over at experts-exchange

Same here. Exchange 2010 Standard 14.3 build 123.4 in a Win2008R2 SP1 with all latest updates installed.
    Also this user in this thread has the same problem: Outgoing emails truncated.
    After I read his thread and your thread, I think that it isn't an isolated problem...

Outgoing messages bodies are truncated. When it happens, only few words or few sentences remained. The rest of the typed text disappeared.
    Affected messages are shown truncated in Outlook and also in OWA sent emails.
    The problem began 2 weeks ago, but now it's spreading.
    For now it seems in my company that only Outlook 2003 clients are affected.

At the beginning only 1 person reported me the problem, so I thought it was an isolated client problem. I tried to reinstall Outlook 2003, but it continued. Then I tried to install Outlook 2010 for troubleshooting purpose, and in the last week that person didn't reported me any problem.

Then it began to spread. It happened to a different person. And then to another one. At the moment, 5 persons reported it. All these persons have Outlook 2003.
    Maybe an automatic Windows update could have caused the problem in the clients?
    It's hard to find out.

It seems that the problem is present in emails that take a long time to write them. Maybe the affected sent email is the first one auto-saved... For testing I disabled the auto-saving (every 3mn) drafts function in the affected Outlook 2003 clients. They reported me no problem in the last days.
    But I told them to always check sent emails and to continue to do that.

I will report as soon as I have new feedbacks.
    Fabio

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How is everything?

It seems IE 11 may be the culprit, the workaround is to revert back to IE 10 to check the result.

If there's further information about this issue, I'll inform you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:07 AM

All replies

• You are not alone - there are plenty of other users with the same issue here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bfdf050e-8831-4d72-91f4-59c87fa9da41/outlook-2003-issue-emails-sent-to-recipients-appears-incomplete?forum=outlook

but there doesn't seem to be a know fix

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Hi,

It seems many users are experiencing this issue right now. Since the cause is still unclear, please perform the steps below to troubleshoot the issue:

Run Outlook in Safe Mode to determine if it's caused by 3rd-party add-ins. Press Win + R and type “outlook.exe /safe” in the blank box, then press Enter.

If there’s no problem in Safe Mode, disable the suspicious add-ins to verify which add-ins caused this issue.

Please also disable firewall and anti-virus, especially the mail scanner module to check whether it would happen again.

Would a new profile help? We can have a go:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918/en-us

If there's any update for this issue, I'll inform you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Melon Chen

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:14 AM
  • Same problem starting around 12/12/13 - No answer

Only change has been Microsoft Updates

Outlook 2003 and Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium

User leaves message open for a while before editing and sending

Older copy of message gets sent in place of the most current open message

Partial messages sometimes,

looks like paste buffer is corrupted or being modified by something

missing a single letter in middle of text as well cutting off several lines at the end

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:57 PM
  • We have a similar issue but it is not happening to everyone.

• Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition (Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2)
    • Exchange 2007
    • Outlook 2013

If you send a short message, the email will go throught... if you send an email with lots of body (paragraphs), sometimes it gets through, sometimes it misses your 2nd paragraph onwards.

Almost like a defective memory but only to a few users.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:02 AM
  • Today, I will try recovering a machine back to about 1 month ago and disable Windows Updates and see if that user still has the problem.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:00 PM
  • Try removing IE11. I just had an issue with a client using Outlook 2003 on Windows 7. IE11 was also recently installed.

Any time a message is in a draft, the changes weren't saved.

Uninstalled IE11, rebooted and it works fine now. Found the info about it here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/b46d2476-658d-42e7-92bb-a2728ec4d221/internet-explorer-11-install-causes-changes-to-drafts-being-lost-in-outlook-2003

Have seen lots of problems after IE11 gets installed. Run the IE11 Blocker, remove IE11 and reboot. Has been fixing a lot of problems for people recently. IE11 Blocker: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40722

IE11 Blocker is just a script that adds a registry key, doesn't block someone from manually downloading and installing IE11. Just prevents IE10 or Windows Update from auto installing it.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Partial emails -- restore attempt

had a pc with this problem, restore attempt back to 12/11/13 failed

Had to run Windows repair from CD

Partial problem appears to be fixed After repair,

still running IE 11

Problem due to incorrect IE 11 update?

Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:06 PM
  • I've had the exact same issue, Exchange 2010 and outlook 2003 clients, it started out as one user and is spreading, this is no good :(
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:50 PM
  • I just uninstalled IE11 and the issue appears to be resolved ! 

Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:22 PM
  • Hi,

How is everything?

It seems IE 11 may be the culprit, the workaround is to revert back to IE 10 to check the result.

If there's further information about this issue, I'll inform you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Melon Chen

Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:07 AM
  • I too am experiencing this issue.

It is not limited to the windows platform.  I have 4 users running Macs with Outlook 2011 on them and 1 is nowexperiencing the same issue with emails not fully being present after they are sent.  I had one user with a 4 line email sent out but only the first two words appeared when received by the recipient.

This is a big problem for me and i need to have a reliable mail system.  even when users use the web mail interface the issue is experienced.  But not all the time it is completely random in when it wants to do it.

• Edited by PJ_01 Wednesday, February 05, 2014 2:35 PM
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 2:34 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem, but not identical. User mails messages are being truncated in the Outlook client, but can be viewed in their entirety in OWA.  This occurs in every Outlook client (2007, 2010) on every OS tried (Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008R2).

Uninstalling IE11 made no difference.

Safe Mode made no difference.

Disabling/enabling add-ins made no difference.

I don't know whether it's relevant, but the user who sent the messages did so via iPad.

Jeanne

Thursday, February 06, 2014 11:02 PM
  • Hello,

I'm having the same problem, I experience it only with emails I take longer to write, it seems Outlook send the latest version saved in drafts.

I'm rather afraid about the IE11 workaround, do you think it is needed to uninstall it ? or simply by not using it at the same time as Outlook could be enough ?

Also, do you think that disabling the option that saves automatically unsent messages in the draft folder can solve the issue ?

I think I will start with the latest workaround (disabling autosave) as uninstalling IE 11 seems somehow dangerous to me, given the fact that usually IE may be used by some OS components...

Will come back to this thread with my results.

Carlos

Saturday, February 08, 2014 5:13 PM
  • Thank goodness it wasn't just me! I thought I was having senior moments.

I don't use IE and am having exactly the same problem outlined in Carlos' message: longer emails and all the text that has been removed seems utterly lost which is driving me crazy.

Saturday, February 08, 2014 9:28 PM
  • Has anyone tried just saving the message before sending a long message, effectively saving the latest copy just before sending.

I have a client with this problem and it will be a while before I can get into his computer to change his version of Internet Explorer.

/Cathy

Sunday, February 09, 2014 1:23 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not a professional user and my English isn't that good, so excuse me if something is wrong in this mail.

I experience the same problem since about 2 months. I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 and reinstalled Outlook.

In case of longer emails, people receive a part of what I wrote. So I send a BCC to myself to insure that the whole mail was sent.

It is really annoying and I am ready to use another mailprogram since this is a real problem.

If you know what I have to do, please let me know

Fons from Holland

dj at djfons dot nl

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Hi there,

The advice with reverting to IE10 will not do me any good - as I unfortunately have upgraded to Windows 8.1 using the Store (from 8.0). Now Windows tells me that it will not accept IE below 11 any more - So Microsoft: Start giving this issue high priority if you want users to stay with your tools (including Windows 8.1)!

Morten

Friday, February 21, 2014 7:24 PM
  • It looks to be a message-save issue.  It sends the most-recently saved draft, but not anything added after that save.

The workaround might be to save before sending, but it appears that if you try to save again too soon after an auto-save, or after you manually save, the second save won't take.

So, you need to wait a little bit (not sure how long), save, then send.  Then the whole message will be there.

Obviously, that's no more than a field dressing of the wound; the problem needs to be corrected.

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:22 PM
  • Experimenting with this further, the best workaround seems to be to disable autosave.  The problem will not appear if the draft is never saved.

That has its own risks, but probably less than sending an e-mail which looks unfinished.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Just found out today that I have the same problem. It's confirmed the problem is affecting users with IE11, Outlook 2003 as well as the out-of-support Outlook 2002. The truncated mail is random and happens to both internal mail (sent from one Exchange Server 2007 mailbox to another mailbox on the same server) and external mail (outside our company).

This problem started after deploying IE11 to all Windows 7 computers. Never had this problem when we used IE9. I wish I knew this post before deploying IE11 in February. IE10 isn't an option at this time because might bite us in the *** due to recent zero day bug. I will have to downgrade IE to version 9 on all affected Windows 7.

Come on Microsoft, IE is already an unpopular browser. This isn't helping us to continue to trust your browser.

Friday, March 07, 2014 10:03 PM