none
Chart axes missing in PowerPoint 2007 document when opened in PowerPoint 2010

Question

• Hi all,

Without going into too much detail at this stage, we have an application which collates slides into a PowerPoint 2007 (PPTX format) document. We have had reports from a few users who are using Office 2010 that the axes are missing on the charts.

I have created a VM and installed Office 2010 Professional (x86) onto it, and can confirm that this is the case. The strange thing is that the data is there but the axes just seem to be set to "None".
    This happens for all charts in the document.

Please see the below screenshot for an example:

Kind regards,
    Adam Sharif
    Friday, October 07, 2011 11:23 AM

All replies

• Friday, October 07, 2011 11:24 AM
  • And here is what it should look like (that particular chart) - the colours are also incorrect in the collated document as you will see. It is worth noting that the individual slide shows correctly (axes and colours)

Regards,
    Adam
    Friday, October 07, 2011 11:30 AM
  • Hi Adam,

We've come across this as well with charts and it's indeed a versioning thing. If you want to get PowerPoint 2010 to format the chart like 2007 did, you just need to open the pptx as a zip archive and edit /docProps/app.xml. There's an <AppVersion> tag in there (if not, you should add it), which basically says which version of PowerPoint you used to create the file. If you set it to the value "12.0000", then PowerPoint 2010 is going to treat it as if it were created with 2007 and format it accordingly (i.e. with the axes labels visible and the green coloring). So just add this:

<AppVersion>12.0000</AppVersion>

as the last child of the root element and it should render fine. For 2010 it should be "14.0000", and if you don't have it at all, then any version of PowerPoint you open it with is going to assume the latest (i.e. itself).

Regards,

Gabi

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:51 PM