none
Outlook 2010 w/GoDaddy IMAP email syncing

Question

• We're having a host of issues that may translate to Outlook not being an ideal client for IMAP, but I am hoping the forum can provide insight to determine if it's a provider issue or a MS issue.

Specifically, we're having an issue using Outlook 2010 with the IMAP solution from GoDaddy.

After email is received in the Inbox, if the user manually moves emails to non-IMAP folders (an offline PST), they will appear to move to the folder, but then reappear in the inbox a short time later. This also happens with deleted emails- they'll disappear from the inbox only to reappear a short time later. If you check webmail, you will see that the moved or deleted email still resides in the inbox. (Note- if you are working in webmail with Outlook open and delete a message from within webmail, it's instantaneously deleted from the Outlook client, which is great, but we need it to work from within the Outlook client this way too- it deletes or moves immediately on the server).

It seems that what is happening is that either Outlook is not sending the proper command to the server that a message was moved or deleted OR perhaps the server gets the command, but fails to perform the action.

GoDaddy said that the only thing it could be is a "known Outlook issue" wherein message flags are not being delivered to their servers from the Outlook client. I've asked a number of reliable engineers and they've never heard of this issue (but think IMAP is wonky in general).

I have a harder time accepting that because other IMAP accounts seem to work in Outlook, and if flags/commands were not being sent from Outlook, then in theory, none of these accounts should work. Additionally, it's not consistent- sometimes it does work.

Outlook settings are correct according to the provider. Also, in Outlook, under More Settings->Deleted Items we DO have the Purge items when switching folders online option checked, as most of the time, we do want the deleted items to go away if we switch folders. I have noticed that sometimes, but not always, if I move/delete a message and then switch into the folder where it was moved to check that it is there (or another folder entirely to do other work), it doesn't return to the inbox as described above. It's not reliable, and isn't a real solution to the issue, and is not practical to do every time.

It's a huge problem for us because if you spend 40 minutes filing away your email only to have it all pop back to where it was, you've wasted a huge amount of time.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here is what you may try:

1. Firewall and anti-virus software. Turn it off to check the result

2. Any add-ons effected. Start Outlook in safe mode to test. ("Outlook.exe /safe")

3. Test compact the folder after deleting an email. It might be an known issue with Thunderbird client.

4. Any mobile phone sync with account? Remove all mobile device if you have.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Tony Chen

Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

2. Any add-ons effected. Start Outlook in safe mode to test. ("Outlook.exe /safe")

3. Test compact the folder after deleting an email. It might be an known issue with Thunderbird client.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Tony Chen

Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:19 PM
  • I have been having the very same issue with Outlook 2010 and Godaddy IMAP. If you find the solution, please post it back here!

Thanks,

Chad

Friday, November 30, 2012 12:12 AM
  • Add me to the list with this same problem.

New PC, with new install of Outlook 2010. I'm hooking up to GoDaddy's IMAP server, using same settings I had with old PC and Outlook 2007. I can send and receive emails, but I now have 2 issues I did not have before:

1. When in Outlook, if I delete an email from the inbox, it reappears with the next send/receive instance.
    2. Everytime Outlook does a send/receive, it takes several minutes to complete folder synchronization with the IMAP account.

I've contacted GoDaddy, and they told me that my settings are correct. They were thinking it might be an Outlook issue, or an issue with something else that might be hooking up to the server. I told them the only other thing hooking up to retrieve email was a Blackberry, and it's using RIM's IMAP service.

Any ideas?

Friday, December 28, 2012 8:41 PM
  • I had the same problem with MS Outlook 2010 and GoDaddy iMap accounts.  The problem turned out to be the Avast Anti-Virus software.  Avast puts a shield between Outlook and the iMap server so essentially Outlook is communicating with Avast and Avast is communicating with the iMap server.  All incoming and outgoing traffic between the two is then scanned for virus signatures.

The problem went away when I turned off the email shield.  Most AV software products work in this manner, so the first thing I would try after verifying the configuration of Outlook is correct is to turn off the email scanning in your AV software.  This doesn't mean you are unprotected, if you try to open an attachment, which you shouldn't ever do, the AV software will still scan it and catch the virus.

Hope this helps,
    Gary

Saturday, January 05, 2013 3:01 PM
  • Outlook/IMAP problems have persisted for YEARS!

The problem seems to be one of performance – synchronizing IMAP folders is terribly slow, resulting in chronic disconnections, timeouts, delays of ~4 minutes to delete a message, and lots of user frustration that takes up a lot of my time and I cannot justify billing for it all. This morning one of my clients reports Inbox messages that have already been read and filed into other folders have just reappeared in their Inbox. I think this is symptomatic of the overall performance problems.  The situation is horrible and getting worse. GoDaddy & Microsoft need to resolve this NOW.

The problem appears to be Microsoft's.  I have recently tested Outlook 2010, Windows Live Mail 2012, and Zimbra (open source) on the same Windows 7 computer accessing the same GoDaddy email account using IMAP.  Outlook and WLM always have problems, disconnects, timeouts.  Zimbra exhibits none of these problems.  

It seems to be related to either Microsoft's IMAP protocol timeouts, or IMAP error response handling, or inability to properly handle multiple IMAP threads (for users with lots of sync'd folders).  

Also, telling users to create fewer folders with fewer sub-folders and fewer files in each negates one of the reasons for using IMAP in the first place, so stop it.  Fix your problems.

• Edited by BuddyLama Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:15 PM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:53 PM
  • Disabled AV completely and Outlook 2010 with IMAP still has problems with disconnects & timeouts.
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:58 PM
  • I recently contacted GoDaddy about this very same thing and got the exact same responses, and Microsoft still denies there's a problem...
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:59 PM
  • The very same issues with Outlook 2010 and Godaddy IMAP persist. Have you found any solution?
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks.

Cheers,

Tony Chen

I disabled AV completely and Outlook 2010 with IMAP still has problems with disconnects & timeouts.  I recently contacted GoDaddy about this very same thing and got the exact same responses, and Microsoft still denies there's a problem...  

These Outlook/IMAP problems have persisted for YEARS!

The problem seems to be one of performance – synchronizing IMAP folders is terribly slow, resulting in chronic disconnections, timeouts, delays of ~4 minutes to delete a message, and lots of user frustration that takes up a lot of my time and I cannot justify billing for it all. This morning one of my clients reports Inbox messages that have already been read and filed into other folders have just reappeared in their Inbox. I think this is symptomatic of the overall performance problems.  The situation is horrible and getting worse. GoDaddy & Microsoft need to resolve this NOW.

The problem appears to be Microsoft's.  I have recently tested Outlook 2010, Windows Live Mail 2012, and Zimbra (open source) on the same Windows 7 computer accessing the same GoDaddy email account using IMAP.  Outlook and WLM always have problems, disconnects, timeouts.  Zimbra exhibits none of these problems.  

It seems to be related to either Microsoft's IMAP protocol timeouts, or IMAP error response handling, or inability to properly handle multiple IMAP threads (for users with lots of sync'd folders).  

Also, telling users to remove mobile devices, or create fewer folders with fewer sub-folders and fewer files in each negates the primary reasons for using IMAP in the first place, so stop it.  We desperately need REAL solutions!  

• Edited by BuddyLama Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:04 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:03 PM
  • I agree. We paid for Outlook 2010, it only seems fair that it works with current communication protocols. 
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:24 PM
  • All

You can add me to the list of people having this problem. I am not sure it is Microsoft as I also have an Me.com which is Apple. me.com is running fine so not IMAP's are a problem with Outlook 2010.

I have increased my server time out time to 4 minutes and it seems to have helped.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 4:34 PM
  • I set the Windows Live Mail 2012 timeout to the max: 5 minutes -- problems persist.

Again, the Zimbra email client does not exhibit these problems, nor does my Android phone!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:24 PM