none
Create an column "RemindDate" Alert in Task List via SP Workflow

Question

• Hallo SP Teams,

I am looking for a solution in the workflow. I have a list and I want to add a column "RemindDate" in the List and let the workflow send an Email on this date if the task is still not finished "according to the RemindDate in List".

Waiting for SP expert advice.

Thanks and Regards,

SC

SharePoint_Consultant_EMEA

Friday, March 09, 2012 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

The article you provide is about the solution in MOSS 2007 .But now in SharePoint 2010 ,this won’t do the trick .A workflow cannot trigger
    itself  by editing the current item .This prevents the chances of an infinite loop .In SharePoint 2010 you can use the pause until date action ,then send the email .

Or you can use the retention policy to start a workflow based on a date &time field in a list .You should create another date&time field to get the value of due date-2 .Set the date &time field using a workflow when an item is created .Then choose list settings>Information
    management policy settings>Choose the content type>Enable retention .Then add a new retention stage base on the date& time column .Add the action as start a workflow .In this way the send email workflow will start two days before the due date and send the email .

Thanks

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:15 AM

All replies

• Hi

Add a new_column.Attach  wkf to your list, which will start when an item is changed and new_column="mail". In this wkf , re-change the new_column value to "wait" and send the desired email

create a script will parse your list, and will check items with status not finished ,and RemintDate=Today. Set new_column in the list to "maiL"

Add a scheduled task on your server for this script ( this way the workflow will start )

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCTS, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:53 AM
  • You can also take a look at the Pause Until workflow action.

Play with this before rolling it out to everyone.   I've found that if target date changes, the pause until stop working.

www.SharePointed.com

Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:47 PM
  •  Dear All,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I am not a scrip developer and we are not looking for solution with the help of scripts.

As we have SharePoint designer so we would like to develop new workflow solution from SP Designer 2007.

We are following the steps to develop the workflow from the following link.

http://sharepointmagazine.net/articles/the-dog-ate-my-task-use-sharepoint-designer-to-email-daily-task-reminders

We want some modification in his workflow and for this we want Email reminder goes to assign user "TWO Days before the Due date".

For this I have also created a calculated column, which calculate the -2 date from the due date.

For e.g.: If due date is 14.03.2012 then date in my column "F Due in -2 days" and date show 12.03.2012.

Now we would like to create a workflow which sends task reminder to user on 12.03.2012 (Today) as the due date of the task completion is 14.03.2012.

Please suggest your best solution.

With best regards,

Monday, March 12, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hi ,

The article you provide is about the solution in MOSS 2007 .But now in SharePoint 2010 ,this won’t do the trick .A workflow cannot trigger
    itself  by editing the current item .This prevents the chances of an infinite loop .In SharePoint 2010 you can use the pause until date action ,then send the email .

Or you can use the retention policy to start a workflow based on a date &time field in a list .You should create another date&time field to get the value of due date-2 .Set the date &time field using a workflow when an item is created .Then choose list settings>Information
    management policy settings>Choose the content type>Enable retention .Then add a new retention stage base on the date& time column .Add the action as start a workflow .In this way the send email workflow will start two days before the due date and send the email .

Thanks

Entan Ming

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:15 AM
  • @entan

if the Due Date changes, will the workflow / retention policy still work?

www.SharePointed.com

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:27 AM
  • Hi ,

After the Due Date changes ,the retention policy will still  work .

Thanks

Entan Ming

Friday, March 16, 2012 7:52 AM
  • Hi Ming,

Above mention link solution was not working becasue Service Pack 2 prevents an on-change workflow from starting itself.

I had devlop a new Two workflow for this link

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdesigner/archive/2009/07/13/service-pack-2-prevents-an-on-change-workflow-from-starting-itself.aspx

and for due date two days before am using the new calculated column from Due data and its working perfectly.  

=IF(WEEKDAY([Due Date])>3,[Due Date]-2,IF(WEEKDAY([Due Date])=1,[Due Date]-3,[Due Date]-4))

It's working as per my requirments. I have only one problem in this MY counter column is not updating, Value always remain 1 and normally it should count Hoo many emails are sent.

Any idea why.

Thanks for feedback.

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Hi ,

Have you set the default value for the counter column to 0 ? You need to check whether your workflow sends multiple emails or just one email .Make sure that you have the right update action in the workflow .You can double check these thing with the site you provide .

Thanks

Entan Ming

Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:07 AM
  • Hi Entan & Other Contributers,

Sorry to jump in this forum directly. But i am also facing the similar issue if you can help me.

I read your answers but when i tried to add new retaion steps i didn't get the new calculated column in the dropdown list... i am getting only few date based columns like Due Date, Start Date, Created Date, etc.. but not that new Calculated Column so, what should i select there...

Secondy it has Time Period Numeric Value to Add. So, I added -2 and Select Days in beside of that.. but it prompt me to add only positive value there..
    So, Now i don't know how to add and what to add there...

Third if possible please let me know where to select that send an email on 2 days before of due date..

Please let me know if anyone have faced similar kind of issue.

Thanks & Regards, Brijesh Shah

Saturday, March 31, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Hi ,

You need to create another date &time column in your list to hold the calculated column value which is Due Date-2 .Because you
    cannot choose any calculated columns in add stage page for a retention policy .You can use a workflow to update list item when an item is created and edited .Set the date&time column to get the value of the calculated column value .Or you can use these action to set the date&time field value:

1. Do calculation : Current Item: Due Date minus 2 (output to variable: calc)
    2. Update list item :set the date&tiem column to get the value of variable :calc .(In this way ,you don’t need to add a
      calculated column in the list )

Then add another workflow to send email .Add a retention policy to start the workflow according to the date&time column .

Thanks

Entan Ming

Monday, April 02, 2012 9:11 AM