none
OneNote Error Code: 0xE4020005

Question

• Hi,

We've been experiencing sync errors with some or our OneNote sections. Currently, OneNote is connected to SharePoint 2010. We connect to the shared notebook via a web link. (http://sharepoint.site.com) We are constantly getting this error, An error occurred while attempting to sync this section or notebook. (Error code: 0x4020005) I cannot find anything relating to this error code. I have cleared the cache by running OneNote.exe /safeboot, repaired Office 2010, rebooted. Windows does not report any errors. All notebooks are 2010. I am running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit w/SP1 and Office 2010 SP1 32-bit. All help is much appreciated.

Dave

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Could you tell us when did you find this issue begin to happen?

Troubleshooting we can do:

1) Check the sync location, see if it has been set correctly.
    2) Try to get this to happen when the OneNote file is located on a shared folder located on a Windows-based computer.
    3) Determine if any of the client machines is using Windows Desktop Search(WDS). If so, have all of them remove it.
    4) Remove backup agents and/or AV on the server and the clients as a test to see if the problem continues to occur? Is it possible that it begins occurring after an AV update, or during scheduled backups or scanning by AV?
    5) Try to disable the document checkin in the document library.

Let me know the result, any questions feel free to post back.

BTW, is it possible to move the OneNote notebooks to SharePoint?

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 28, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Max,

Thanks for the reply.

1. The sync location is on our companies SharePoint site. Any specific permissions need to be set?

2. A network drive was first used when we started using OneNote. Our company upgraded to SharePoint 2010 and then the notebooks were moved there shortly after. We started having issues after it was connected to SharePoint and been having a lot more issues since we allow all company memebers to connect. Some users were running OneNote 2007 but have since been upgraded to 2010. I cannot move it back since all company members connecting to it.

3. How does WDS have any affect on this? You are talking about Windows Deployment Services, correct?

4. I cannot remove backup agents or AV from our corporate servers. We are using Microsoft Security Essentials.

5. How do I disable document check-in?

Question: Does OneNote log errors? If so, where? Windows Application Logs?

Dave

Friday, October 28, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Hi Dave,

1, I intended to let you to check if the location path has been inputed correctly. (In some case, the path will be replaced by UNC path.)

3, WDS stands for Windows Desktop Search. Since it has been known to lock files during indexing operations.

4, Can you temporary disable it?

5, See how to enable/disable the check in feature: http://blogs.technet.com/b/msonline/archive/2010/07/26/check-it-out-easily-enable-document-version-control-in-sharepoint-online.aspx

To capture a detail log you could download and use the Process Monitor.

Download and Introduction:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, October 28, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Hi Dave,

How is everything going?

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Sunday, November 06, 2011 3:56 AM
  • Max,

1. The path is still configured for http://sharepointsite.com. Never seen it change.

3. No known Windows Desktop Search clients. All users are running Windows 7 Enterprise x64.

5. I am working with my SharePoint administrator to check on this. I will check back with you when I have more information.

6. As for logging, I haven't had a chance to run Process Monitor. I've used it in the past but has taken a lot of time to filter and analyze the information.

If I delete a section then run a manual sync, should the section be moved to the recycle bin? I ask because I deleted a known bad section, ran a sync, the section came back. It appears it's only a few sections but I cannot rule out the others. Some of our users claim they've deleted their OneNote cache files which fixed the issue. I've done that too but after I sync the sections fail with the same error code as in my first post.

Is error code 0xE4020005 very generic?

Thanks,

Dave

Monday, November 07, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Max,

Just heard back from my SharePoint admin. We are not using SharePoint version control.

Dave

Monday, November 07, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Once I have Process Monitor running; can you tell me what I should look for?

Dave

Monday, November 07, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Hi Dave,

When you have Process Monitor running, click Filter button, in the popup window, click to expand the leftmost dropdown list, choose Process Name, and type OneNote.exe in the input box on the right, and click Add button. Click OK to go back to the main window, and start OneNote to reproduce the issue.

And see if we can get something special from the bottom of the list.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 2:53 AM
  • I am getting this same error.  However it only happens when I load a file into a tab or save an email to a OneNote Notebook.  Once I upload a file to a tab a new directory is created on Sharepoint with the name of the "TabName_onefiles" and there is nothing in there.  From there on out I have Incomplet sync to my Notebook... and if I try to remove the tab or the file inserted into it (same for mail), it fails.. neither myself or others can remove it.  This is very frustrating indeed....
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:47 PM
  • I have this for you whenever you are ready.... also internal and can work w/ you tomorrow @ anytime.  email is jesse.harris@microsoft.com.

***Note:  I'm running into the same error and am looking for a fix.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:51 AM
  • I wanted to send an update.

Only fix I found was to move the sections to a new notebook.

1. Right-click section in question, Move or Copy...

2. Select another Notebook beside the one it resides in, Move.

3. Sync the changes. (May take awhile)

4. Move the section back to the desired Notebook.

5. Sync the changes. (May take awhile)

The above steps have been working for us. Please let me know if anyone else has tried this or has another method.

Dave

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:40 PM
  • @Dave, thanks for the update!

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 13, 2012 3:04 AM
  • Jesse and Max:

I am also having the same issue with syncing. Continuously re-creating/moving the One Note is not really sustainable when we have a team of 20 trying to use it as a project status/handoff space. This DEFINITELY started after we had embedded some emails in the One Note. We have since removed them and told people to not embed. We have also gone in to the Explorer view and deleted the ghost folder that had been added "handoff_one", and then re uploaded the offline copy of the section, but that has to be done by the person that broke it so we don't lose content. This still gets messed up every few days though and we may have to give up on using it as a shared collaboration tool, which is extremely disappointing as it works GREAT, when it will actually sync :(.

Any insight into the cause ane whether a hotfix might be coming for this issue? or a less brute force way to work around it?

Thanks

Julie Cairn

Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:42 PM
  • +1 for this problem and the workaround. It would be great if there was an update on this issue. Not just here, but also in the KB article where the error message links to.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Having same problem. Did you hear from Jesse, Max or anyone..?

Is there still no solution?

Regards

Peter

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:42 PM
  • The latest:

Please try the below workaround.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:12 AM
  • My fix for 0xE4020005 was to empty the recyclebin.  In the sync details dialog it mentioned the recycle bin as one of the sections that had a problem so I empty the recycle bin and it synced!

Regards, Mike DePouw

Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:20 PM
  • The "section-move-workaround" worked for me. It's important to move the whole section and not only the affected page... otherwise the sync will fail again.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:46 AM
  • We have been having the same issue, quite frustrating for an otherwise outstanding tool

We last recreated the whole notebook and moved everything to it... lasted all of 2 days and we are in the same boat again.  I see in the thread above embedding emails is a no-no.. another unfortunate scenario, as this is one of the more valuable functions for me, will have to keep those on a local notebook I suppose...

I will attempt the "work around" but in our previous cases, this did not work.

Is there an available fix for these issues?

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Add another to the list... I have the same issue.

I moved only the section that it was reporting to another notebook, synced, moved it back then synced again.  That made the sync issue go away but I'm afraid it will return. For now, we are okay.

We use shared notebooks a lot and this has been the first instance of this issue.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:31 PM
  • Add another to the list... I have the same issue...

An error occurred while attempting to sync this section or notebook. (Error code: 0xE4020005)

Tried all the above suggetsions and it is still the same. I am hosting the one note on sharepoint server. Would a space limitation cause this error?

Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Add yet another person to this list (me). We here at Swisscom (Microsoft super platinum diamond adamantium partner blah blah blah) are having the same problem: Onenote 2010 latest version residing on Sharepoint 2010 latest version (as of Feb. 1 2012), was working fine for several months, then hit this errorcode too and now no one can sync. Worse, we have 3 people working in the same onenote (that's why we're using it), and now we all have different versions of the onenote on our computers, none of which will sync....

I'm going to try to get the onenote on a UNC share instead (not on SP), because this is one of three or four nasty SP2010 bugs i've hit recently. My trust in SP as a platform is at an all time low.

Thanks for any help

Tim Carr

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:00 PM
  • We in Nokia have the same issue :-(

THERE ARE BIG DANGER WITH THE WORKAROUND!!

Doing the "Move/copy trick" can delete an another pesons work. I did the trick and my team mates 3-page long document just vanished to the "bit heaven". Yes he was working on a document at the same time then I did the trick.

We have open case at MS-Premier support, but they have not found the reason for this issue.

We are extremely frustrated aas OneNote is really the "WYSIWYG team wiki" tool that we need in a global environment.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Add another to the list with this same problem, great tool in general but this is a pain that we have to have this work around any time we imbed a file. MSFT needs to address this issue soon!

Heath

Heath

Friday, April 06, 2012 10:31 PM
  • Yes, also have this problem. Constantly copying the notebook is not an option.
    Monday, April 09, 2012 11:33 PM
  • We are also having this same probelm.  Very Frustrating.

Bob

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:33 PM
  • + 1

Add another to the list... I have the same issue...

An error occurred while attempting to sync this section or notebook. (Error code: 0xE4020005)

Tried all the above suggetsions and it is still the same. I am hosting the one note on sharepoint server.

Christian De

Christian De.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Same here:

Ett fel uppstod när avsnittet eller anteckningsboken skulle synkroniseras. (Felkod: 0xE4020005)

Emptying the recyclebin, didn´t help me.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Using Office 365 and having the same issue.

DGL

Sunday, April 29, 2012 8:27 AM
  • Max,

I see Microsoft released an update for OneNote 2010 on 5/8/2012.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2589345

It states: Assume that two users open a OneNote 2010 notebook from a Microsoft SharePoint site. One user changes the section order in the notebook in OneNote 2010 and then synchronizes the notebook with the SharePoint server. In this situation, the second user can change the order of the sections in the notebook during the synchronization process.

Is this Microsoft's fix to this issue? Please let us know.

Thanks,

Dave

Sunday, May 13, 2012 2:19 PM
  • The fix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2589345) does NOT address the problem.

Instead of moving section in another notebook here is (I think) simpler alternative that worked for me. My solution involves moving files and not dealing with OneNote user interface.

Section is the file in the directory where OneNote content resides. Example: if your OneNote points to http://myserver/mynotes in settings, you should see the file mysection.one in that directory. mysection.one corresponds to mysection section in your workbook.

1. Move mysection.one to another directory, open OneNote, synchronize, close OneNote.
    2. Move mysection.one back to the original directory, open OneNote, synchronize.

This worked for me and got rid of synchronization issues.

It is ridiculous, of course that a commercial product would have an issue like this making users to deal with workarounds.

• Edited by Michael_L_ Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:57 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:36 PM
  • I contacted Microsoft 3-4 months ago and have a pending case on this issue.  They are still working on this.  I asked if anyone else had the same issues.  They did not know.  Has anyone else contacted Microsoft support about this problem?

Bob

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi there,

We are having the same issue here - Syncing to SP2010.

Monday, July 02, 2012 4:05 AM
  • Microsoft has provided some information on my case for this.  They told me this below:

The CTS Engineer initiated some research on the logs that you provided us,
    and noticed that the Web Client service is stopped. Can you please activate
    that specific service on your machine. Here are the steps to reach the Web
    Client Services.

1. Click on Start
    2. on the Start Search,
    3. Search for "Services"
    4. you can open either "component services" or "services"
    5. Navigate to Services (Local)
    6. Locate Web Client
    7. Right Click, Properties
    8. Startup Type "Automatic"
    9. Click Ok
    10. Once done test the OneNote issue and inform with the results.

We have been testing it for a day and have not had incomplete sync as of yet.  We are crossing our fingers.  Let us know if this might work for you and others.

Bob

• Proposed as answer by Wolfie52 Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:28 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:27 PM
  • I tried the Web Client = Automatic workaround, but it didn't work.

Within my lab, our use of OneNote with Sharepoint 2007 worked great. Now that we've moved a few projects to Sharepoint 2010, we're seeing regular 0x80004005 and 0xE4020005 sync errors with OneNote. Within my OneNote 2010 client (version 14.0.6112.5000 (64-bit)) on one PC, I've been successfully syncing against a half dozen Sharepoint 2007 notebooks for 1+ years, and 2 of 2 new Sharepoint 2010 notebooks have quickly shown sync errors. I usually see errors soon after pasting a large image or Outlook email into a new page. Yesterday I created a page with just an image, a successful sync appeared to happen, and then after typing a few dozen words, the sync issue appeared.

When a section sync fails, I end up creating a replacement section, moving the original pages, and then deleting the original section. "Meeting Minutes" becomes "Meeting Minutes 2", for example.

--tg

• Edited by Thomas Gilg Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:01 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:26 PM
  • I guess my question is...how do you know which section is the culprit?  I've tried all above to no avail, except creating a replacement section, because I don't know which section exactly is the one screwing this up...

-Joel

Thursday, August 02, 2012 6:47 PM
  • I guess my question is...how do you know which section is the culprit?  I've tried all above to no avail, except creating a replacement section, because I don't know which section exactly is the one screwing this up...

-Joel

Try "cut" the note book half by half, run test to check which part will get problem, and repeat the steps to narrow down.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 03, 2012 5:24 AM
  • For what its worth... I am not using Office365 or the Sharepoint Workspace client. Instead I'm just using a simple OneNote client to sync with notebooks hosted in a variety of places, and all those places work except Sharepoint 2010. Here are my screen snapshots:

This seems like the basic use case for OneNote, and it has worked for years. Now with Sharepoint 2010 its broken, even for folks like me that don't use the Workspace Client, Sky Drives or Office365.

--tg

Thursday, August 09, 2012 10:10 PM
  • Its worth noting the OneNote Client sync-page (2nd screen snapshot, prior post) provides a working link to the web-based experience for the notebook, and from the web-based experience there is a link to open the notebook in the client (the far right icon in screen snapshot, this post). It sure seems like MS intended to support OneNote with Sharepoint 2010.

I think my examples have utility to the Office365 discussion, but since I don't have a login there, I encourage someone else to cross post my stuff there.

--tg

• Edited by Thomas Gilg Thursday, August 09, 2012 10:37 PM
    • Proposed as answer by J_Simon Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:33 PM
    Thursday, August 09, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Hi There

Here we go. A few days after we received this strange MS support ticket info. MS support raised the following and this is what really helped us. It seems to be very important to not create a OneNote File in a standard Document Library but in a special Lib. Please follow the instructions - Until we did the exact way as stated below (Follow the Link as well) we do not face any Sync Issues like Error Code: 0xE4020005 any more:

1.        a. Go to library settings

b. Select 'Versioning settings' under 'General settings'

c. Select 'No' for setting 'Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited?'

1.        Copy OneNote file to another Library on SP and test again

1.        Create a new library with OneNote document as the template type. From what I have found this seems to resolve problems with OneNote syncing as this type of Library has all necessary fields required :

http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-onenote/archive/2012/07/26/working-with-onenote-on-sharepoint.aspx

Regards

Josi

• Edited by J_Simon Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:43 PM Wrong Word
    • Proposed as answer by Redzikm1 Monday, September 03, 2012 9:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Redzikm1 Monday, September 03, 2012 9:44 AM
    • Proposed as answer by crpage Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:48 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

i've found a work around for this error.  I've delete the local OneNote cache from my machine.  I found 2 directories and deleted both.  Not sure if both required but deleting both did the trick.

Step 1. Open TaskManager and kill any OneNote processes

Step 2. Open Internet Explorer and delete all cookies and temp internet files.

Step 3. on windows 7 I deleted both of these directories:

• C:\Users\<>username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\OneNote\14.0
    • C:\Users\<>username\Local\Roaming\Microsoft\OneNote\14.0

So it looks like the problem is linked to a corrupt local cache.

Hope this helps someone else.  I didn't test just steps 1 and 2, so if someone else has this problem try just steps 1 and  2 first.

regards

Richard

• Edited by wadsd Monday, November 05, 2012 4:46 PM
    Monday, November 05, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Hi wadsd.

I'm tryed your's solution and it work, but if you have local data that are not sincronized into server, they will be lost.

Is not necessary delete all file.

The only file that need delete in my opinion is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\14.0\OneNoteOfflineCache.onecache

And is not needed kill no process, but terminate "onenote rapid note" from the traybar with close.

However my opinion is that this resolve problem in this moment, but not prevents the problem return.

The solution of J Simon is for me the correct procedure for permanently solution.

Regards Leonardo

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Same here on Office Pro Plus 2010, Windows 8, against Office 365.

Note: The copy/move workaround works, but is unacceptable. The other suggestions involving disable versioning, don't require check out, and creating a new document library with a different template did not help.

RobertRFreeman

Friday, November 23, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Hi Dave,

We run in the same issue in our company, with the same configuration: Sharepoint 2010 w/ OneNote 2010.

Moving a section away and back did work for us, but it may result in data loss if several people have added data to the section and someone else does the operation.

Also the trick question is which section is causing problems, there's no way to know which section is breking the sync.

Thomas

Friday, January 04, 2013 4:03 PM
  • I'm getting the same error code with one of my notebooks and I've been able to consistantly resolve and replicate the error by clearing the cache (by deleting the folder in AppData) and then performing certain steps to get it to break again.

To get my notebook to break I:

1. Browse to my SharePoint Site and open the notebook
    2. Wait for notebook to sync
    3. Right-click the notebook and choose "Notebook Recycle Bin"
    4. Delete a particular page from Deleted Pages (note: in my case deleting certain Sections from the Recycle Bin didn't trigger the error, only deleting these particular pages I have in Deleted Pages triggered it)
    5. Press Shift + F9 to sync this notebook
    6. Notebook Sync Error 0xE4020005 with the Deleted Pages section of the Recycle Bin

To resolve the sync issue I:

1. Open Windows Explorer
    2. Navigate to C:\Users\<myUserName>\appData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote
    3. Rename the "14.0" folder to "14.0 OLD" (or simply delete the 14.0 folder)
    4. Recreate a new folder called "14.0" (no quotes)
    5. Open OneNote and wait for the notebook to sync

Some information on my environment:

• Running SharePoint 2010
    • Running Office 2010 (with OneNote 2010)
    • The OneNote notebook was a local notebook shared to SharePoint by clicking on Share > Share This Notebook from OneNote, choosing Network, and plugging in my SharePoint Document Library's URL
    • The Document Library on the SharePoint site is the default Documents library created when my site was created. This could be the culprit
    • Versioning is disabled on this document library

I've tried creating a new local notebook and sharing it to the same document library, creating some pages and then deleting them, but cannot replicate the error with my new notebook. It appears that the error is only caused by deleting specific pages from my "broken" notebook's Recycle Bin. I'm going to try copying this notebook to a new Document Library (using the OneNote template) to see if this resolves the issue. I'll use Explorer View to copy the notebook so I also take the Recycle Bin with it.

• Edited by Mike O'Connell Friday, February 22, 2013 5:21 PM Edited formatting a bit
    Friday, February 22, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Like J_Simon suggested, I copied my erroring notebook to a OneNote Notebook-template Document Library and I found something interesting.

When I copied it using Explorer View from the SharePoint UI, the "new" notebook had more items in the Deleted Pages section than the notebook I copied. I literally opened both libraries in Windows Explorer and copy/pasted. I wonder if the extra deleted pages that appeared in my destination notebook were the culprit?

In any case, from within OneNote I right-clicked my original erroring notebook and "changed location" to my new document library. The notebook detected corruption in one of my Sections when it finished syncing, which it repaired on it's own. Now I can delete pages from Deleted Pages and I don't get the error anymore.

In summary, in my case I simply copied my notebook (using the "Change Location" function in my notebook's Properties window) to a OneNote Notebook-templated Document Library to fix error 0xE4020005.

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:39 PM
  • I found a easier way to clean cache and fix this issue:

Start onenote in safemode by running the following command in start menu: ONENOTE.EXE /SafeBoot, and in the safemode there is an option to clean up the cache.

It works fantasy on my side :) Hope this method can solve anyone's time on this issue

• Proposed as answer by KCRyan318 Thursday, April 25, 2013 2:58 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:12 AM
  • I found a easier way to clean cache and fix this issue:

Start onenote in safemode by running the following command in start menu: ONENOTE.EXE /SafeBoot, and in the safemode there is an option to clean up the cache.

It works fantasy on my side :) Hope this method can solve anyone's time on this issue

Great suggestion! I normally call this method "the big cache clear" because it also forgets every notebook you had synced. When you open OneNote afterwards, there are no notebooks open at all. Renaming the appdata folder will keep the local notebooks in your OneNote, just "forgetting" the synced notebooks.
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:57 PM
  • The latest:

Please try the below workaround.

Thanks Martin,

THIS WORKED FOR ME!

much appreciated.

Friday, December 06, 2013 12:56 PM
  • Thank you. This is the correct answer (aside from ditching SharePoint which is a piece of dung)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only fix I found was to move the sections to a new notebook.

The above steps have been working for us. Please let me know if anyone else has tried this or has another method.

Dave

• Edited by JohnFx Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:57 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:57 AM
  • Hi there! Just updating this because I think I know the reason!

This has to do with versioning in Sharepoint sites. Sharepoint can only have 100 minor Versions as default, this means that this problem may start after 100 saves of a file in SharePoint.

• Edited by HAL07 Friday, April 04, 2014 10:05 AM
    Friday, April 04, 2014 10:05 AM