none
Spell checking not working in Office 2010

Question

• I have tried every suggestion in this forum (renaming registry to WordOld, looking for the keys, checking language, etc. fully re installing the software, etc. but spell check in Microsoft Word 2010 just will NOT work. I press F7 and get "Spell Check is complete" even though there are tons of deliberately misspelled words. 

The ONLY thing that seems strange is that, even after a full reinstall, when I go to Ctrl Panel and click "Change" for Microsoft Office the "Please wait while setup prepares the necessary files" screen flashes for about 3 seconds, then disappears and the "Change" option never comes up (though I can keep removing and reinstalling to my heart's content).

I am running Windows 7 64-bit. I did a clean install. I did not have this problem running Word 2010 on Vista. Spell check worked fine.

What can I do to get it working? Having to e-mail my personal documents to work, spell check them, then send them back is getting to be a pain. Thanks.

Friday, July 22, 2011 2:13 AM

Answers

• Well, I finally got things working.

I had to download a third party product called Revo Uninstaller that removed thousands of MS Office keys from the registry. Then I had to create a new account on my PC as an administrator. I installed office, and got the message that the install was unsuccessful. Fortunately, found someone who posted online to ignore this message and just "pull the power plug" on the PC before the install has a chance to rollback.

I did that, then started up Windows. Office ran, but I couldn't edit anything because it said "unlicensed product", even after I activated the software. I switched user accounts back to the original account, activated again, and it's finally working.

All in all, about 14 hours spent to fix spell check. It's *so* much nicer to just be able to go to the Apple store, click "Install App" and have everything working in 15 seconds.

• Marked as answer by Nick Wan Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:58 AM
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 3:53 AM

All replies

• I guess I tried uninstalling and re-installing one too many times, because now I get "setup has encountered an error and cannot continue". I ran the "Fix it" for this error, but it didn't fix it. What now? I don't have an install CD--I bought the software from Microsoft Online. Thanks

<rant on> Why is that EVERY Microsoft product leads its users down endless rabbit holes just to get simple things to work. It seems I spent an hour trying to fix some computer problem for every hour of WORK I actually get done</rant off>

Friday, July 22, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Anyone? I *really* need to get spell check working. Thanks.
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:05 AM
  • checkout: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970826

I have seen the "override" problem many times when deploying upgrades from Office2003->2007

Don
    • Proposed as answer by PenelopeK Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:38 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by PenelopeK Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:38 PM
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:56 AM
  • Don't have the override registry key.

I copied all the files and registry keys from my laptop, which is working fine, and got Office working again on my main PC. Spell checking is now working in PowerPoint when it wasn't before, but it's STILL NOT WORKING in MS Word. ARGGHHH!

Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:03 AM
  • OK, that seemed to work but now I'm getting "Please wait while setup prepares the necessary files..." then I'm thrown to the desktop. I ran the Fixit, but that didn't do anything, either. 

So, basically, I cannot uninstall Office 2010--the only error in the log is "Unable to get detailed information during license consumption", whatever the h*ll that means. I bought a license to use Office on two machines and have it working on one, but not the other. The spell check started this nonsense. Office was working fine before I followed Microsoft's steps to "fix" it. What do I do now? Have I flushed $400 down the toilet?

Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:08 AM
  • Well, I finally got things working.

I had to download a third party product called Revo Uninstaller that removed thousands of MS Office keys from the registry. Then I had to create a new account on my PC as an administrator. I installed office, and got the message that the install was unsuccessful. Fortunately, found someone who posted online to ignore this message and just "pull the power plug" on the PC before the install has a chance to rollback.

I did that, then started up Windows. Office ran, but I couldn't edit anything because it said "unlicensed product", even after I activated the software. I switched user accounts back to the original account, activated again, and it's finally working.

All in all, about 14 hours spent to fix spell check. It's *so* much nicer to just be able to go to the Apple store, click "Install App" and have everything working in 15 seconds.

• Marked as answer by Nick Wan Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:58 AM
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 3:53 AM
  • Hello,

I went to 'Add Remove Programs' in the Control Panel,

Select Microsoft Office {your edition} 2010,

Change -> Add or Remote features.

Select the program you are using and "Run all from my Computer".

Also, select "Office Shared Tools" and Office Tools, and install those. They contain the proofing tools you require.

It worked for me.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:22 PM
  • Thank you so much.  You were clear, simple, and it worked!!!!!  It is such a pleasure to have directions that work. 

Happy Thanksgiving.

Kathy

Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:24 AM