none
Removing Microsoft Office Click to run 2010

Question

• My Win7 Pro x64 box has a drive that appears in Windows Explorer which is called "Microsoft Office Click to Run 2010 Protected(Q:)". I need to remove whatever is causing this drive letter to appear.

I've seen several articles on the Internet about removing it but none of those solutions have worked. I've even seen an article here that talks about removing it but it gives no intructions to do so.

Please tell me how to get rid of it.

Thank you, Herb

Herb

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to my knowledge, the Q: drive appears when you install a Click-to-Run version of Office product.

The Q:\ drive is not a real drive it has no space. You could just ignore it.

The Q: drive can be hidden through modifying registry if you really want to bother doing so.

Note: Be sure to make a back-up of the registry before you modify it. The link below shows how to back up the registry:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

Try to add the following registry key to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer:

Value Name: NoDrives

Value Data (Decimal): 65536

Once this value has been created, click OK and close the registry editor.

Please note that this fix will only work in the user account you’re currently logged into.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Friday, August 16, 2013 1:03 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Steve.

Just to be clear on my intentions... I use a Stoarage Attached Network (SAN) that presents itself as 18 separate NTFS partitions. Each of those is assigned a drive letter on the computer but the partition is not visible until it is mounted by the SAN software.

Drive letters A thru D reserved and I also have Y and Z mapped to network shares so that doesn't leave many extra drive letters to spare.

What's happening is the SAN software is assigning a partition to Q: because it must not recognize that it is reserved so when I mount that partition on the computer my attempts to access it via Windows Explorer fail because Win7 is confused by the presence of the click-to-run mapping.

With these facts in mind, do you still think that your solution will work? Or does your registry modification just block Q: from use, which would not be a solution at all.

Thank you, Herb

Herb

Friday, August 16, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Sorry Steve, your suggestion did not work.

Is anyone from Microsoft out there who can tell me how to get rid of this  "Microsoft Office Click to Run 2010 Protected(Q:)" drive.

This is something that Microsoft put there, I certainly didn't ask for it.

Pleae help me to get rid of this mess.

Thank you, Herb

Herb

Friday, August 16, 2013 5:19 PM
  • Hi Herb,

The drive Q is associated to Office Click To Run.  It cannot be hidden or deleted from Windows UI by default? See the FAQ of Microsoft Office Click-to-Run for Office.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982434/en-us

"Can I hide or delete the "Q:" drive?"
    - No. Any access to hide or to delete the Q: drive is removed.

"Can I rename the "Q:" drive?"
    -Yes. Right-click the drive, click Rename, and then type the new name for the drive.

The Q drive can be removed after uninstalling Office CTR. If possible, redeploying Office and switching to a regular MSI installation (if a valid Product Key is owned) is the solution

Additional Information

Click To Run Info:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/click-to-run-introduction-HA101850493.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA101850538
    Switching to a MSI Edition on MS Office:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/click-to-run-switch-to-using-an-msi-based-office-edition-HA101850538.aspx

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support
    Monday, August 19, 2013 2:41 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Tony but this really isn't helping me.

Renaming the drive simply changes the name associated with the Q: drive. It doesn't make Q: available for my use. I renamed it to Herb and it showed up in Windows Explorer as Herb (Q:).

There is no entry in the "Programs and Features" list for click-to-run so there is no way to uninstall it. Please see the attached screenshot. As you can see, I have installed a licensed version of Office 2010 but that still does not freee up the Q: drive!

Please tell me how to rid my computer of click-to-run altogether. Microsoft put this app on my computer without my consent and yet they don't give you a way to get rid of it.

That makes no sense at all.

Herb

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Try to run Fixit to remove Office 365 click-to-run.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501/en-us

You will find another uninstall steps in the "More information" Section under the link above.

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:30 PM