none
Open 2 Excel sheets in different windows?

Question

• Ok, stupid question time.  How do I open 2 different excel worksheets in different windows?

Currently they both open in same window making it difficult to compare data.

example:  A.xlsx and B.xlsx

Open A.xlsx and slide to left of screen.  Attempt to open B.xlsx and slide to right of screen, instead its part of the same original Excel A.xlsx window.

-thanks

Monday, August 02, 2010 2:39 PM

Answers

• On the Ribbon on the View tab see Arrange all
     --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"flayofish" wrote in message news:f0e559ff-32cf-42de-ab19-8d90394b3e34@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Ok, stupid question time.  How do I open 2 different excel worksheets in different windows?

Open A.xlsx and slide to left of screen.  Attempt to open B.xlsx and slide to right of screen, instead its part of the same original Excel A.xlsx window.

-thanks

Monday, August 02, 2010 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

Open the first workbook any way you want.

Start a second instance of excel (double-click the shortcut on desktop or run in start->all programs)
    Then file|open the second workbook.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:43 AM

All replies

• On the Ribbon on the View tab see Arrange all
     --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"flayofish" wrote in message news:f0e559ff-32cf-42de-ab19-8d90394b3e34@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Ok, stupid question time.  How do I open 2 different excel worksheets in different windows?

-thanks

Monday, August 02, 2010 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

Open the first workbook any way you want.

Start a second instance of excel (double-click the shortcut on desktop or run in start->all programs)
    Then file|open the second workbook.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:43 AM
  • Using windows 8.1 ... trying to open a second instance from the start menu but it only returns me to the same open file.  Duplexed files (1 on top of other) is not convenient
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 9:02 PM
  • There is only one way around it in Windows 8.1.

1) You open the first excel normally however you want.

2) You go to Start icon (bottom left), Run and type "Excel". This opens a new excel in a DIFFERENT window.

from that one you can open any other excel sheet you have. Thus you have two excels windows..

:)

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:09 PM
  • Thank You! Worked perfectly!
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:01 PM
  • I concur that this is a useful workaround.  However, it is not the whole answer.

I have Windows 8.1 and Excel 2013, and I every time I open an existing or new worksheet, it always appears in a separate window.  This occurs whether I double-click on a file icon, or right-click on the taskbar icon and select a listed file.

My wife has Windows 8.1 and Excel 2010.  Until a few days ago, her situation was like mine - every Excel file opened into a new window.  Then, that stopped, and she has the situation of this thread - all files now open in the same window, unless she uses this workaround.

What Excel setting might have changed to cause this change in Excel behavior?

Friday, May 30, 2014 7:07 PM