none
Excel Links to Word document in Office 2010

Question

• Our organisation has recently migrated to Office 2010 from Office 2003. We have a monthly word report that contains about twenty links to several excel spreadsheets. The links were created by using paste special,paste link  to a microsoft worksheet object. In this way as the underlying financial data changed each month it could be easily updated in the word document by updating the links. All the original documents have been converted to Office 2010 but we now find that after saving and reopening the word document all the spreadsheet links are no longer updateable as they have been converted to pictures. We have looked at all the settings in Word options but cannot see how to change this. Thus we have to reestablish the links for each worksheet every time. which is frustrating. Have we missed something somewhere? Is our only option to create entirely new documents in Office 2010? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Friday, April 08, 2011 10:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Paul Appelbe

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I understand that you want to control how linked objects are updated. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Firstly ,please ensure all of objects are linked objects ,not embedded objects

More detailed information About linked and embedded objects you can refer to this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa562234.aspx

Suggestion:

To update a linked object every time while the file is open, use the following features:

1.       Click the File tab,

2.       Click Options, and then click Advanced.

3.       Under General, check the Update automatic links at open check box.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

William Zhou CHN
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, April 15, 2011 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul Appelbe

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I understand that you want to control how linked objects are updated. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Firstly ,please ensure all of objects are linked objects ,not embedded objects

More detailed information About linked and embedded objects you can refer to this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa562234.aspx

Suggestion:

To update a linked object every time while the file is open, use the following features:

1.       Click the File tab,

2.       Click Options, and then click Advanced.

3.       Under General, check the Update automatic links at open check box.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

William Zhou CHN
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, April 15, 2011 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:59 AM
  • I am having the same issue as Appelbe. When linking part of an excel file to a word document the links will not update if both files are moved anywhere. I am using the paste special command in Word 2010 and pasting as a link Microsoft Excel Worksheet object. After this even if the document is set to update links automatically it just converts the link to a picture and does not update the link. This occurs whenever the two documents are moved to another location either on the network or on a computer. It also occurs if only one document is moved. Even if both documents are moved to the same location this still does not work. The suggestion above did not help with this. It appears the Office 2010 decided to get rid of relative linking between documents. It worked fine with office 2003. Is this a work around for this yet? This has been a major inconvenience for our company. All of your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:14 PM
  • The link you reference is about Mappoint from 2006.  This is an issue with 2010, and Excel Spreadsheets created in a Word Doc lose interoperability once you have saved and closed the word doc.  When open again, the excel doc is no longer accessible.  It is only......, only an image, that can not be modified.
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 11:25 PM