none
OneNote 2010 not syncing with SharePoint 2010

General discussion

• We are having trouble with OneNote syncing with notebook files on SharePoint.

There is a red indicator on the sync icon on the notebook. Hovering over indicates that the notebook is not connected. Clicking sync now shows a green indicator for a moment, then it turns back to red. Viewing Sync status Shows Not Connected and in Errors tab, An error occurred while attempting to sync this section or notebook.

Error code# 0xE4010646

This is happening with a notebook that worked/synced properly with Office 2007/SharePoint 2010/Windows 7.  I just installed Office 2010 (SharePoint 2010/Windows 7) and the existing notebook will not sync.

I also created a new local test notebook and attempted to share that in the same document library on my SharePoint site; it acts as if it's connecting/syncing, but then I get the red indicator and it is not connected.

Side note, I am having trouble updating Word files that are posted on SharePoint. This did work with the same computer but running Office 2007. I have had others try the same thing and it works with Office 2007 but not 2010.

Any and all thoughts/ideas would be helpful.

UPDATE:

We have found out that is we turn off form based authentication that it works. BUT, after doing so we could not use any of our document library with check in/out enforced.

UPDATE:

As mentioned in some of the below posting we have found this is no longer a problem once going to share point 2010.

• Edited by DLCurtis Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:01 PM Update
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:37 PM

All replies

• We are having the exact same problem.  Has anyone out there found a solution to this?
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:12 AM
  • I am having this same issue. My notebook files are on my SharePoint 2010 site and I can't even open them in OneNote 2010. I also have Windows 7 64bit Ent.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Did you resolve, we are having same problem.....

Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Nope, still a problem
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:30 PM
  • This is also happening to me.

We are going to have to bag sharepoint for Onenote collaboration and just put it on a network share.

Not as visible from TFS, but at least it will work.....

Friday, June 10, 2011 4:41 PM
  • same problem here
    MickyD | http://mickyd.wordpress.com/ Help others by voting my post as 'Helpful' if you think it is so.
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:37 AM
  • According to this article...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-foundation-help/synchronize-sharepoint-content-with-sharepoint-workspace-HA101854201.aspx

(you can find the relevant section if you search for "OneNote")

...it is simply not supported.

Yep, MS developed the technology to sync with Skydrive, but left out the technology to sync with SharePoint 2010.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:28 PM
  • @McCodeWriter,

The limitation in the article you reference is concerning SharePoint Workspaces.  The OP is about syncing directly to a SharePoint document library.

As the OP notes in an update, the issue is Microsoft's frustrating limited support for forms based authentication that more and more organizations need to facilitate collaboration with persons outside their company or employee's using personal devices and therefore not on a corporate AD domain.

This same limitation appears to exist in SharePoint implementations that use claims-based authentication (via ADFS), as I can't sync a OneNote document either, with the same error.  Which is a bummer as I was hoping to find a corporate equivalent for Evernote.

Mike

• Edited by Mike Hays Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:54 PM
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Any word from Microsoft on this?  Very frustrating.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Had the same problem and solved it by setting the 'Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited' option to No.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:33 PM
  • This may not work as a fix, but I would be curious to see the results for this:

On a test client machine, try uninstalling the OneNote update KB2553290, and then delete the OneNote folder here:
    C:\Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Local\Microsoft  (delete the whole OneNote folder)

Then, try to open the notebook from scratch...

• Are you able to open it?
    • If you can open it, can you make a change and properly sync it?

NOTE:  do this on a test machine where OneNote changes have not been made & you can afford to lose connection to your notebook; deleting the OneNote files will delete changes you've made since sync started failing and you may not be able to reopen the notebook when testing this out

We are having the same problem and have seen mixed results when we were testing with that update.  One notebook opens and syncs properly now, and another notebook we are not able to open at all anymore. 

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Is this still an issue as of March 2012?

Dusty

Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:40 AM
  • Sorry to say but yes. This is still an issue.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Is there any resolution to this issue as of the end of May 2012?
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:45 PM
  • I've got the same situation which solved by simply UN-CHECKING the "Required Documents to be checked out before they can be edited".

I do believe it is a missed functionality from the Office team on this one, which should behave as Word in this situation.

Hope it helps,
    C:\Marius

Friday, June 01, 2012 12:34 PM
  • that did it for me. thank you
    Monday, August 06, 2012 9:44 PM
  • So, I think everyone's suggestions so far are really not that effective (no offense), because I have tried them all and it doesnt work.

One thing I did find is Microsoft's hint to client integration with forms based authentication (which would likely apply to CBA client integration).

If you look on the authentication provider's page for a web app you see there message near the bottom regarding forms based and anonymous access. Is anyone will to try this?

"Client Integration

Disabling client integration will remove features which launch client applications. Some authentication mechanisms (such as Forms) don't work well with client applications. In this configuration, users will either have to use browser-based editors to edit their documents or work on them locally and upload changes. Note: If client integration is turned on in conjunction with Forms mode, anonymous access should also be turned on or Forms aware client applications may fail to authenticate correctly. "

Unfortunately can't test this sufficiently because our farm has patient senstive information (and we have a forefront UAG in the way that might complicate this). But is anyone able to try their CBA enbled web app with anonymous turned on? (I know for most of us this would defeat the security config) but it does explain a work around for some people.

Friday, August 31, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Hey guys, this was a frustration for us with SharePoint 2007 but not as much so with SharePoint 2010. The issue for us came after we had installed SSRS integrated into our SharePoint 2007 environment; we had enabled Kerberos which was part of the underlining cause. The Notebooks that were on another web application without Kerberos enabled worked fine (even copying some notebooks from one to the other showed the same results). So pay attention to details about Kerberos in the environment if you are struggling through this. SSRS is not part of our 2010 environment (yet) so, not sure if it will show up again! During the troubleshooting we learned that for OneNote files, it is best practice to keep version control turned off and also leave the require check out feature off. This functionality, when enabled resulted in oddities. Some other things we looked at were the versions of the actual OneNote files. I believe we ended up forcing everyone to ON 2010 and converting the files to ON 2010 format. - I hope this helps, it was a struggle for us for quite a bit of time.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:12 PM
  • I agree that this has been fixed for SharePoint 2010
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Just a few observations from this thread (I was looking for info on a different topic):

I can't speak to the specific issues re: claims based authentication, but we use OneNote extensively with SharePoint on our intranets, and here's what I can tell you:

The best way to store OneNote notebooks in SharePoint 2010 is to create dedicated libraries for them. Don't store them alongside other documents in the same library, especially if you need versioning on the non-OneNote docs.  Why:

• OneNote Notebooks are "special" in a few ways.  The application stores its own versioning and permissioning information, embedded within the notebooks themselves. This is pretty different from any other type of document you might find in a typical SharePoint library.
    • As a result, you'll want to make sure to turn off versioning on these libraries, or you are going to get a very bloated library and are likely to exacerbate sync problems.

As far as local/synced copies in SharePoint Workspaces...

I think the desired experience from some people here is to keep a local copy of OneNote Notebooks in the SharePoint workspace. I don't recommend that.  OneNote 2010 is designed to sync with SharePoint 2010 natively. OneNote knows how to handle synchronization quite well as long as the notebooks are stored in a SharePoint library. (It's possible I'm reading the earlier threads incorrectly; if so, apologies.)

A few links and resources for OneNote/SharePoint users / admins:

Here's some additional information I dug up a while back on configuring SharePoint for use with OneNote.  

From Microsoft (source here):

"Unlike Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft OneNote stores version information within the file itself. For this reason, administrators should follow these recommended practices when storing OneNote notebooks in a SharePoint Server document library:

• Do not enable minor versioning. This is the default setting in SharePoint Server 2010.
    • If major versioning is enabled, set a reasonable maximum number of versions to store. By default, major versioning is not enabled in SharePoint Server 2010."

Daniel Escapa referred to some of this important OneNote "Co-authoring" information on TechNet on the Engineering OneNote Blog a while back. Note: this blog appears to have been handed off to Varun Srinivasan some time ago.

• Edited by Miller Systems Monday, December 24, 2012 9:59 PM formatting
    Monday, December 24, 2012 9:58 PM