none
Post SP2 embedded Excel 2010 chart data in PowerPoint 2010 removes X and Y axis values.

Question

• Before SP2 install, PowerPoint file will display a chart with X and Y axis values labeled.  In addition to a legend.  Post SP2 install, all of the X and Y axis text is gone, in addition to the legend.  Exact same file.  Not modifications.  This is regardless if the PowerPoint is able to link back to source Excel document.  Please see attached PNG files. 

This is before SP2.

This is post SP2.

I can't figure out what is causing this.  It seems like there may have been similar problems when transitioning from Office 2007 to Office 2010.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:32 AM

Answers

• I found that my charts used "Arial (Body)".  When I changed them to just "Arial" it fixed both the tick marks and labels.  Right click on the chart without selecting any of the elements and select Arial from the drop down and it'll reset the legend and axes at the same time.  A co-worker was also seeing this issue when they opened my files in Office 2013.

Glenn

• Marked as answer by David Follis Monday, August 19, 2013 5:14 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks to your feedback first.

From your description, I have some questions.

Dose the chart in original PPT display normally after SP2 installed?

If it displays normally, I think the issue may be caused by upgrade processing.

What is the way installing SP2? Local installation or push by domain.

Then I notice that there were similar problems when transitioning from Office 2007 to Office 2010.

So do your other files encounter the issue?

I suppose the file created in old Office version.

It may be some compatibility issues

If your files are important, I recommend you can uninstall SP2, and write for the issue fixed.

Regards,
    George.zhao

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:02 AM
  • George-

No.  The process is as described.  Before SP2, no problem.  After SP2, text is missing.  We have repeated this process on three different systems.  Opened file under SP1 and it looks fine, install SP2, reboot and when we open the file the text is missing.  The file is not modified in any way during the process.  Simply opened and viewed.

We use WSUS.  SP2 is shown as available update and is installed, followed by reboot.

We have tested with multiple

Correct file is existing, so it is created by PPT 2010 SP1.  I have had some folks report that deleting chart and recreating it can resolve the issue but that isn't practical considering the number of files that we have.

Am I able to remove SP2 via Control Panel?  Was under the impression that wasn't possible.  I have at least 30 systems with SP2 installed so doing so would be a huge undertaking.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Here is some additional info.  This appears to be related to the display of tic marks also.  This is what displays:

These are the settings:

Despite having the Tick marks enabled, they do not display.  Turning off and on has no impact.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Hi,

Here is a tool.

The Office 2010 SP Uninstall Tool assists with uninstalling the Office 2010 SP patches.

Download link:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27131

Regards,
    George.zhao

Friday, August 16, 2013 9:06 AM
  • So does this indicate there is a problem?  Also do I have to reinstall SP1 after I remove SP2.  Looks like SP2, eliminates SP1.
    Friday, August 16, 2013 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

If your files are important, I recommend you uninstall SP2, and use them first.

I think you may reinstall SP1.

Regards,
    George.zhao

Monday, August 19, 2013 8:05 AM
  • I found that my charts used "Arial (Body)".  When I changed them to just "Arial" it fixed both the tick marks and labels.  Right click on the chart without selecting any of the elements and select Arial from the drop down and it'll reset the legend and axes at the same time.  A co-worker was also seeing this issue when they opened my files in Office 2013.

Glenn

• Marked as answer by David Follis Monday, August 19, 2013 5:14 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Freaking genius.  I feel like an idiot for not trying that.  You win.  So attention Microsoft this is still a bug and should be resolved unless someone is able to demonstrate that otherwise.

Glenn thanks so much for the correct information.  I'm glad I didn't start removing SP2 from all of my machines.

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Seeing the same thing after applying Office 2010 SP2. Chart legends and axis's are fine if opened on a machine that is Office 2010 SP1 - but are missing if opened on a machine with Office 2010 SP2. The "Arial" fix is a decent workaround for the time being...
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:37 PM