none
Excel 2010 "file format is not valid"

Question

• I've got an end-user running Excel 2010 32-bit on Win7 Enterprise x64 w/4GB RAM.  Yesterday she began having the problem of not being able to open or save .xls or .xlsx files that she's worked on just earlier that day.  I remoted to her event logs and saw that her desktop had just had some MS updates installed (don't know if it's related yet).  Nothing remarkable in the Application or System logs; the MS Office 14 Alerts showed each occasion of the problem.

I had her try an Open and Repair but it didn't work.  On Monday I'll check the files on another PC, try to roll-back to a previous version, maybe do a repair on MS Office Pro.  Just want to pick everyone's brain ... what other things should I try or look for to diagnose and resolve this?

Mike

south-central Nebraska

Saturday, December 15, 2012 11:27 AM

Answers

• Now a days most of company opening a free trial version of Excel File Repair Software, in trial version you can see the preview of recoverable data. Here are some well known companies are:

RecoveryFix for Excel

Kernel for Excel

Stellar for Excel

Recovery Toolbox

Thanks

• Marked as answer by RV2011 Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:10 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How about Open and Repair the Excel file?

Also, using the other methods to recover data from damaged workbooks in Excel:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820741

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 17, 2012 8:10 AM
  • I had her try the Open and Repair method on one of the files - didn't work.  We'll be working through the other methods this morning.

I'll report back on the results.  Anyone else have ideas or tools they know of I can try.

Mike

south-central Nebraska

Monday, December 17, 2012 12:35 PM
  • Now a days most of company opening a free trial version of Excel File Repair Software, in trial version you can see the preview of recoverable data. Here are some well known companies are:

RecoveryFix for Excel

Kernel for Excel

Stellar for Excel

Recovery Toolbox

Thanks

• Marked as answer by RV2011 Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:10 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:29 AM