none
Windows 7 and Outlook 2010

Question

• I have set up a laptop which has Windows 7 with Outlook 2010, it has validated the email address via an exchange server, however, it keeps asking me for the password and not letting me in to the email account. The password is definately correct as we can log on via webmail. When I press cancel it gives the following message:

"cannot open your default email folders. You must connect to Microsoft Exchange with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with  your outlook data file (.ost)"

I have checked the data file and everything seems to be correct and just wondered if anyone knows what I could be doing wrong.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:00 PM

All replies

• Are you working with a hosted or inhouse Microsoft Exchange setup?  Reason I ask is that if it is a hosted solution, your options to connect may require connection via RPC over HTTPS (aka OutlookAnywhere) or you have to VPN in first so you are on the corporate network to get things started.

I have set up a laptop which has Windows 7 with Outlook 2010, it has validated the email address via an exchange server, however, it keeps asking me for the password and not letting me in to the email account. The password is definately correct as we can log on via webmail. When I press cancel it gives the following message:

"cannot open your default email folders. You must connect to Microsoft Exchange with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with  your outlook data file (.ost)"

I have checked the data file and everything seems to be correct and just wondered if anyone knows what I could be doing wrong.

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:10 AM
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 4:46 AM
  • Hi Steven

It's very strange because I set two laptops up at the same time, the first one worked with no problems, however, having problems with the 2nd one. It's a hosted Microsoft Exchange set up so will try what you have said above and let you know, as the laptop isn't with me anymore.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:13 PM
  • Hi Steven

Just checked the laptop in question and it is set up to outlook anywhere and is checked connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP and the details have then been inputted into Exchange Proxy setting? Any other ideas? Lindsey

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:53 AM