none
Office 2010 activation fails: TechNet software

Question

• I have just installed office on a newly installed laptop running win 7 and for the first time my Technet keys for Office 2010 are not working any longer.  My subscription expired a year or so ago but I thought the keys would remain valid.  I have tried serval keys now and all of them return an invalid key error.  Is there something wrong ith the install on my laptop or has the technet policy changed?
    Monday, June 13, 2011 12:59 AM

Answers

• (I'm marking this response as the answer so that others who come upon this will not have to read through the whole thread.)

A while back users have reported that Office 2010 TechNet keys have been blocked when they try to activate.  This is a known issue, and the activation server folks are making good progress on unblocking these keys.

If your subscription has expired, you should still be able to use your keys, even though you no longer have access to the downloads.  If you cannot activate, then most likely your keys have been blocked by mistake.

No action is required on your part.  Your keys should be unblocked soon, though we reserve the right to keep any keys blocked if it's determined that this key has been compromised.

Those who have reported this earlier have sent keys to me to be on the expedited list for unblocking. I've passed them on to the activation server team, and they are being or have already been processed.

Thank you for your use and support of Microsoft Office 2010, especially as TechNet subscribers.  I regret the inconvenience caused by this issue, and I thank you for your continued patience.

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 4:52 AM

All replies

• The keys should still be valid, but the keys need to match the build.  The software should have also come from TechNet (e.g. you can't use your TechNet keys on Office that comes with your laptop, for example).

Could you please follow the instructions below and paste your output?

Open anelevated command prompt

a. The path below is the default install path, so it may be different if you've customized your install

b. If you’re using 32b Office on a 64b OS, you may need to run it from the “Program Files (x86)” folder

c. Start, search for ‘cmd’, right click on the command prompt window and select “Run as administrator”

d. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /dstatusall

2) Enter the key

a. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /inpkey:<your key>

b. Include the dashes in the product key

3) Trigger activation

a. Launching an Office application will then prompt you for activation via the UI. Alternatively you can trigger it using this command:

b. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /act

4) Check the status

a. The following command will show the licensing status. Alternatively in the Office UI you can view the status by clicking File, Help.

b. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /dstatusall

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:54 AM
  • My result is as follows, please advise

---Processing--------------------------
    ---------------------------------------
    SKU ID: 28fe27a7-2e11-4c05-8dd0-e1f1c08dc3ae
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeProPlus-SubPrepid edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 14, TIMEBASED_SUB channel
    LICENSE STATUS:  ---UNLICENSED---
    ERROR CODE: 0xC004F014
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key
    is not available.
    SKU ID: 42cbf3f6-4d5e-49c6-991a-0d99b8429a6d
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeProPlusMSDN-Retail edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 14, RETAIL channel
    is not available.
    SKU ID: 46c84aad-65c7-482d-b82a-1edc52e6989a
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeProPlus-Retail2 edition
    is not available.
    SKU ID: 71af7e84-93e6-4363-9b69-699e04e74071
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeProPlus-Retail edition
    LICENSE STATUS:  ---OOB_GRACE---
    ERROR CODE: 0x4004F00C
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the application
    is running within the valid grace period.
    Last 5 characters of installed product key: QJXQ8
    REMAINING GRACE: 26 days  (37007 minute(s) before expiring)
    SKU ID: 75bb133b-f5dd-423c-8321-3bd0b50322a5
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeProPlusAcad-Retail edition
    is not available.
    SKU ID: 8c5edb5d-9aa0-47a7-9416-d61c7419a60a
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeProPlusMSDN-Retail2 edition
    is not available.
    SKU ID: 8c5fa740-5dca-43f9-be1b-d0281bcf9779
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeProPlus-Trial edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 14, TIMEBASED_EVAL channel
    is not available.
    SKU ID: c1ceda8b-c578-4d5d-a4aa-23626be4e234
    LICENSE NAME: Office 14, OfficeOEM-ByPass edition
    is not available.
    ---Exiting-----------------------------

C:\Windows\system32>

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Thanks... could you please also run steps 2-4 and paste the results?
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Here it is.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cscript "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp
    vbs" /inpkey:XD93X-DCVHP-QDB9R-xxxxx-QJXQ8
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

<Product key installation successful>

vbs" /act

Installed product key detected - attempting to activate the following product:
    ERROR CODE: 0xC004C003
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The activation server determined the specified product key h
    s been blocked.

vbs" /dstatusall

is not available.
    is not available.
    is not available.
    REMAINING GRACE: 26 days  (36862 minute(s) before expiring)
    is not available.
    is not available.
    is not available.
    is not available.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:10 AM
  • If you try all your TechNet keys and run the ospp.vbs /act command, do you get the same result?

ERROR DESCRIPTION: The activation server determined the specified product key has been blocked.

This error code means that on Microsoft's activation servers, this key has been blocked.  It could've been blocked for any reason, but one possibility is that the keys from your subscription got leaked, and many users online try to use these keys to activate Office.  With this barrage of activations using the same key from so many computers, it could seem that the original owner of this key lost control of the key, resulting in its blockage.

At this point you might need to call Microsoft TechNet support and explain the situation.  Since you're a previous TechNet subscriber, you may be able to get another key this way.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:34 AM
  • I can't believe my keys have been leaked.  If someone had got to my technet files and copied the keys, they would have them all and so why would not all the other products be leaked as well?  I just rang Technet support to try and find out what happened and after telling my story twice, the last time to someone in activation dept, the line dropped out.  I will try again. 

I am now curious to find out if and how my keys got leaked.  I was planning to resubscribe after any new version of office or windows is released but this experience of having my keys blocked without being able to find out exactly why, doesn't give me confidence in the program.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:43 AM
  • You and another user are reporting this same issue... I'll get in touch with the TechNet folks to see what's up with these TechNet keys being blocked.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:02 AM
  • Thank you Ted,

I haven't had time to follow this up any further with Technet support so I appreciate your effort to get to the bottom of this.  I too have found posts on other forums from people with the same problem. It seems to have happened early this month. I keenly await your findings.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:29 AM
  • Another user having exactly the same issue. Lapsed subscription and reinstalling Office 2010 Professional Pro on upgraded machine. I too would like to find out the issue.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:01 PM
  • I got in touch with the TechNet folks, and they're starting to unblock the keys that they've blocked in the most recent wave. I can't give you an ETA at this point, but you might want to start checking your keys again or in the next few days.

First we're unblocking the keys so that you can use Office. The next step is to investigate why these keys got blocked. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Monday, June 20, 2011 5:37 AM
  • Hi Chartech I too am in the exact same situation, so you are not alone. My TN sub lapsed over six months ago, I had no need to resub and the MS rep confirmed for me twice that I can continue to use and activate the product keys. Currently as of the last 3 weeks I have been updating my W7 image with the latest software/windows updates and after deployment discovered Office 2010 pro plus no longer activates. I cycled through all the keys i had recorded and some I knew for a fact were never used to date....

I called Microsoft last week, had the biggest run around. I ended up speaking with the product activation team, business support, home support, technet support then back to product activation team again. I was linked to a few KB articles by the product activation team which didn't adress what is now appearing to be a widespread problem. I felt like i was been treated like a software pirate, they had little to no interest when i told them i previously owned a technet sub and repeatedly asked me where I purchased the cd-key from. The only information they could offer me is that the cd-keys were blocked. I decided to call it quits after the product activation team linked me another KB article and said to call back if i cannot activate after following the steps.

It's good to see Ted making some progress towards fixing this mess, hopefully it will not happen again.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:06 PM
  • I'm having the same issue as well. Says my technet keys are blocked. My sub expired some months ago, if not a year by now.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:28 AM
  • I recently replaced the MOBO on my test bench and none of my Office 2010 keys will activate. My sub is expired

UPDATE: I called the number listed on the Technet Website: 13 20 58 (Australia Callers Only)

The guy first accused me of illegally using a Volume License Key.

He then told me that Technet keys are for developers only (WTF!!??)

After a 15 min debate he then told me I had phoned the wrong number!

I asked to speak to a Supervisor

5 min later he told me no Supervisor was available and he would transfer me to the Product Key dept

The guy asked for my Technet ID

1 min later he told me my keys should not be blocked. He will fix it and to give it 24 hours and all my keys would work again

Another update: Technet rang me back and said that because my subscription has expired I have to call another number! I did and the woman took my ID and said she will call or email me back. This is terrible service!

UPDATE 2: Received an email asking for a screenshot of the activation error and the affected keys

• Edited by tw33k Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:34 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:23 AM
  • If your keys have not been unblocked yet, you may try the rearm tool to give you some time to use Office before the grace period expires:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624357.aspx#section4

If you run the ospp.vbs /dstatusall command, you should see an entry like this:

LICENSE STATUS: ---OOB_GRACE---
    REMAINING GRACE: 26 days (37007 minute(s) before expiring)

If your REMAINING GRACE goes down to 1 to 5 days, then you should run rearm to make the grace go back to 30 days.  Note you can only use rearm only a few times, so don't use rearm until you're down to the last few days.  Once you run out of rearms, you will not be able to use rearm again unless you reformat your machine.  This should buy you enough time until your key is unblocked.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Ted,

I'm having the same problem with my TechNet Keys for Office 2010. Thanks for providing some information on the issue. From what the customer service agent could tell me it appeared that all my unused keys were blocked for "abuse", but none of the keys even had a single activation on them. The issued was escalated to another level of customer support.

Ed

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Still no word today. I don't understand the hold up. I was told my keys were blocked in error so why hasn't it been fixed yet?
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:01 AM
  • I'm having the same problem - looking forward to this being fixed.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Also still having the same problem. Thursday last week I was asked to provide screenshots of my subscription, product keys, product IDs and installation IDs. Apparently I have an "elevated" ticket but nothing has happened for the past week!
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:41 PM
  • i have the same issue , hopefully this will be fixed soon.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Same here, all of my office 2010 keys got blocked. Windows 7 is OK though.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:59 PM
  • This is bad PR for Microsoft. Why would people want to use their products when things like this happen? We should have been sent an email requiring us to verify our details or something instead of just blocking our keys. The customer service reps have no idea either. I've given up calling them. My case has been "escalated" but that doesn't really mean anything to me. I paid for the right to use this product and they are denying me of that. We should start a class action against them for this. If this is not resolved in the next 48 hours I'm calling my lawyer
    Friday, June 24, 2011 3:08 AM
  • The TechNet folks are reassuring me that they're unblocking these keys as fast as they can, and it's a high-priority work item for them. Unfortunately, they may not have gotten to your keys yet.

Please see my earlier post on using rearm if you're seeing the red title bar.

You should still be able to use Office 2010 with full functionality (I know it's frustrating to have to see the activation dialog when you have valid keys). If you are not able to run Office because of this issue, please start a separate thread, and we can work out any issues. Thanks for your patience.

Friday, June 24, 2011 6:49 AM
  • I reported this issue to ZDnet. Here's the article: http://www.zdnet.com.au/devs-locked-out-of-testing-office-2010-339317389.htm

What's taking them so long to unblock them? I've provided all the info they asked for. What more do they want? They're treating me like I've done something wrong.

Friday, June 24, 2011 11:33 PM
  • i have the same problem with office 2010 products,  technet pro subscrition expired +/- 6 months ago

has anybody got there keys working again ?

Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:36 AM
  • I've asked for an explanation of the process to unblock keys, since I'm not familiar with it myself.  I'll let you know what I learn.

In the meantime, if you have a specific key that you'd like unblocked, please email it to me: ted_msft@hotmail.com, and I'll pass on the key. The activation server folks said they can fast-track any specific keys to unblock.  Please also include your forum handle so I know whether you've reported the issue here already.

Since this is a public forum, I'm including a disclaimer that the activation server folks will make the final decision as to whether the key is unblocked.  Unfortunately we've seen unscrupulous software sellers sell TechNet software, and people get scammed when buy a TechNet key from them.  Users try to activate the software, but they can't.  They report this, and they find out they've been scammed by the seller.  It's unfortunate incidents like this that legitimate users reporting legitimate issues may feel like they're being questioned as if they're illegitimate users.

I'd also like to reiterate that this issue should not prevent you from installing and using Office 2010.  You will be asked to activate, and if your key has been blocked, unfortunately activation will fail.  You may run rearm to extend the activation grace period.  Obviously this has been a major inconvenience for those affected, but again, if you are not even able to install and use Office, please start another thread and I will work with you

Monday, June 27, 2011 7:27 AM
  • Ted, I wanted to tell you that I think what you are doing is great. You're going above and beyond. I can totally understand that some people do the wrong thing and sell Technet keys. But when a legitimate user provides all the info requested, shouldn't someone be able to unblock his keys immediately? I was told my keys were blocked in error and to give it 24 hours. Then I was told that because my sub had expired I had to ring another number. I was then asked to provide some info. I did all this and my keys are still blocked.

What gets to me is that we still have no official word from Microsoft about this. Why were all these keys blocked? Why weren't we notified and given a chance to prove we are legit? Why is it taking so long to fix? Again, none of this is directed at you. You've been great. I just think that the whole incident is appalling and needs to be addressed ASAP.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:29 AM
  • Ted,

I also apreciate your help with this. I have the same problem. I took the liberty of emailing you my product keys yesterday in the hope you could pass them on and get thm un-blocked.

Thanks
    Ben

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

C:\Windows\system32>cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs"
    /dstatusall

is not available.
    is not available.
    is not available.
    Last 5 characters of installed product key: H46B7
    REMAINING GRACE: 29 days  (41140 minute(s) before expiring)
    is not available.
    is not available.
    is not available.
    is not available.

C:\Windows\system32>Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

C:\Windows\system32>cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs"
    /dstatusall

is not available.
    is not available.
    is not available.
    Last 5 characters of installed product key: H46B7
    REMAINING GRACE: 29 days  (41140 minute(s) before expiring)
    is not available.
    is not available.
    is not available.
    is not available.

C:\Windows\system32>

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:11 AM
  • I held back on posting just incase something else went wrong but my ProPlus keys have been activating since 6-7 days ago. I'm still interested in an explanation considering the majority of my office keys have never been activated. I wonder how does a key that has never been activated trip the pirate alarm?

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:23 AM
  • I held back on posting just incase something else went wrong but my ProPlus keys have been activating since 6-7 days ago. I'm still interested in an explanation considering the majority of my office keys have never been activated. I wonder how does a key that has never been activated trip the pirate alarm?

hmm mine still dont work here
    starting to think that my keys are hacked ???.....  strange thing is that everything else is activating only office 2010 is giving activation error .. product key invalid..

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:07 PM

Nice to see someone has keys working agin.  I am the OP and I submitted a key last week at Ted's invitation but I am still waiting for it to be unblocked.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:50 PM
  • I've been calling and emailing for the past week but my keys are still blocked. I provided all the info they requested so I don't understand what is taking them so long to fix this.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:30 AM
  • @tw33k Please email me directly with your keys to be unblocked: ted_msft@hotmail.com.  If you're not getting anywhere with support, this is one more channel for you.

@chartech I've been told these are being processed right now, thanks for your patience.

@Jason Right now all priority is being placed on unblocking keys.  It's great to hear that your keys are working fine now.  The activation server people are telling me they're working hard on getting the rest of the keys unblocked.  We will shift our focus to investigating why this has happened after the keys are unblocked.

There are a few ways key blocking is triggered.  One may be repeated use from multiple areas, e.g. somebody posts a key online, and all of a sudden 50 users are trying to activate that key from all over the world.  Since most if not all users have been reporting that these are keys from expired TechNet accounts, it may be that these keys were marked for blockage so that they cannot be abused in the future.  I know that this would be wrong to do, since your TechNet keys should still work.  I'm not sure exactly what has happened since I'm not in the activation server side of the world, but we're doing our best to get legit users unblocked first.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Hi Ted,

Just sent an e-mail your way about the keys. Had a support ticket open for over 2 weeks with no luck. :(

Thanks,

Grant

Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:23 AM
  • Hi Ted,

Just sent an e-mail your way about the keys. Had a support ticket open for over 2 weeks with no luck. :(

Thanks,

Grant

Is your sub expired?

@Ted...thanks mate

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Everybody who has sent me keys have had their requests processed (Grant, yours is still being processed), though it may take up to 72 hours for it to propogate through the activation server system.

Since I've requested just one or two keys from you for fast-tracking, they should get unblocked first.

The activation server folks are determining which keys were blocked, and they are unblocking big bunches of those at once.   I'm not sure how they are going through this process, so it depends on when they get to the batch that your key is in.  That means the rest of your keys should be unblocked accordingly, though I can't give you an ETA.

Friday, July 01, 2011 5:55 AM
  • I am happy to report that I have finally been able to activate a couple of my keys.  Thanks for you efforts to get attention to this issue Ted, much appreciated.

I had a couple of issue with activation that might be down to not all my keys being unblocked yet but they were: firstly, I was unable to activate the key I sent you, 72 hrs have well and truely lapsed so I tried anther key, bingo! it activated.

On another machine, the sp1 update failed and I waited till these activation issues were resolved before attempting a uninstalling and reinstalling office to resolve the update issue.  That worked but trying to activate it with the key of the original install failed.  I changed the install to a previously unused key and activation was successful.   Can these keys for office 2010 only be used once now or are some of my keys still not unblocked, including the one I submitted that had never been activated?

Sunday, July 03, 2011 9:24 AM
  • Hello there, I phoned Technet-Australia last week regarding this issue and still have not heard anything from them. Can I ask you to push this forward? What info do you need from myself? My case number is 10282980.

Cheers.

Monday, July 04, 2011 8:20 AM
  • Can these keys for office 2010 only be used once now or are some of my keys still not unblocked, including the one I submitted that had never been activated?

@chartech

You should be able to use the key a few times.  If you're activating using the same key on the same machine with the same hardware as when you first used the key, you should be able to re-activate many times (this is designed in case you needed to reinstall your OS).  TechNet keys should have three (I believe) activations on each key, meaning it's technically possible to activate on three different computers.

Feel free to start another thread and paste the output of ospp.vbs /act so I can see the error code you get when you try to activate.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:49 AM
  • Hi Ted,

I've just sent an email to you as I'm experiencing the same issue as others are as well.

Should I email the ospp.vbs /act output to you as well.

Thanks

Danny

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:56 AM
  • (I'm marking this response as the answer so that others who come upon this will not have to read through the whole thread.)

A while back users have reported that Office 2010 TechNet keys have been blocked when they try to activate.  This is a known issue, and the activation server folks are making good progress on unblocking these keys.

If your subscription has expired, you should still be able to use your keys, even though you no longer have access to the downloads.  If you cannot activate, then most likely your keys have been blocked by mistake.

No action is required on your part.  Your keys should be unblocked soon, though we reserve the right to keep any keys blocked if it's determined that this key has been compromised.

Those who have reported this earlier have sent keys to me to be on the expedited list for unblocking. I've passed them on to the activation server team, and they are being or have already been processed.

Thank you for your use and support of Microsoft Office 2010, especially as TechNet subscribers.  I regret the inconvenience caused by this issue, and I thank you for your continued patience.

Thursday, July 07, 2011 4:52 AM
  • Thank you for the information, is it clear why they are blocked and why is it taking so long ?  must be over 6 weeks now
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Hi Ted,

Thanks for helping out. I woke up this morning to an activated copy of Office, Visio and Project :)

Thursday, July 07, 2011 8:05 AM
  • I'm having the same problem and situation as everyone else.   Hope it gets resolved soon!
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 8:34 AM
  • Thanks Ted!
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Still waiting for mine to be unblock after 3 weeks..the wait continue
    Friday, July 08, 2011 10:33 AM
  • I am emailing you my keys as well.  I have had this issue for a while now and could not figure out what the heck was going on.  Finally when the issue came back up, I found this thread which explains it all.

My subscription lapsed a while back (roughly 6 mo ago) and as of the past month or so none of my keys for Office 2010 Pro Plus will work.

Again, thank you for your hard work and dedication to this.  Hopefully my keys can be unblocked before the software activation expires again.

Alain Desjardins

Friday, July 08, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Hello, I have an expired technet subscription and am having problems activating office 2010 pro plus with my technet keys.  I have tried all 10 keys from my technet page, and they are even still listed on MS website.  What do I do????

Larry Watson

Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:00 AM
  • Hello Ted, what do I do to send you my Technet keys for office pro plus so I can activate successfully.  My technet sub. has expired already if this helps.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:05 AM
  • Is there any news ?  

my keys still dont work, i wil send you an email with my keys Ted, seems you are the only one that can fix it.

but i would realy like to know whats beeing done about it, i cant imagine they are unblocking keys for week after week.. why is it taking so long ?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Just sent email your way for same issue everyone else seems to be having:

vbs" /act

Installed product key detected - attempting to activate the following product:

Last 5 characters of installed product key: CWJKD
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The activation server determined the specified product key h
    s been blocked.

debcarp

debcarp
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:53 AM
  • I'm experiencing exactly the same issue with all my Technet Office keys been blocked. Even worse, i had formated three of my computers and now I cannot activate Office 2010, not even when using previously activated product keys.

Dear Ted, I've emailed you my keys; please do something because I'm really desperate.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, July 15, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Since I've got no response from Ted yet (yeah I know it's weekend), I'm trying to contact someone at MS responsible for this activation mess.

Anybody knows an MS email address where to post complains and/or questions regarding this issue? For God shake; I've been Technet member for years, MS partner for more than a decade and now I cannot use my legally acquired product keys because some unbelievably stupid guy did a silly "mistake"!

PS: I wonder if this issue only affect Office 2010 keys and not the rest ones (e.g. Windows 7, 2008, previous Office releases etc.)? Any info on that?

Thanks,

Athan

Sunday, July 17, 2011 1:05 PM
  • It's only office, or should i say not win7 / sql server which i know are ok.

I called the aussie office and got added to the list of people with problematic office 2010 keys just over a week ago. Patiently waiting.

Come on, how hard is it to use a search engine and find the contact details - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb856399.aspx or even just call the main switchboard after calling Telstra.

With office you can reset for 6 months (5 resets as described in links above) until they hopefully fix. So it's not so urgent really is it, it's evaluation use anyhow.

Try and take some deep breaths / exercise perhaps :)

Sunday, July 17, 2011 1:28 PM
  • I don't know if some deep breaths help you, but did nothing for me. Maybe, I'm drinking too much coffee... :)

In any case, mistakes are understandable even for respectable companies like Microsoft. What is not understandable or tolerable is when such stupid mistakes are not addressed within hours and without user involvement. Why do we have to mess around on web forums for weeks to find out why our legally acquired product keys not working any more?

Microsoft's TechNet regularly sending us dozens of promotional mail; I really don't understand why is so difficult to post a word, an apology, some info or anything regarding this issue. Do I expect too much?
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Here I was pulling my hair out trying to figure what the heck was going on with my office activation, was about to give up when bam I ran accross this thread.

So whats the final word here? Should I just wait and see if my keys get unblocked on their own, or do I need to send them to Ted to get the ball rolling?

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:35 AM
  • I've been told that the activation server team is making progress on getting the big block of keys unblocked.  I've passed on the keys I've been sent, and I was told that they've either been unblocked or getting processed.

Question: for those who've sent me keys, are you able to activate these keys?

As to everybody else, unfortunately, I can only ask for your patience.  Feel free to send me one or two keys to get on the expedited unblock list.

The majority of users who've reported this are from Australia.  I'm curious if users in other countries are also hitting this?

I've also been told that to prevent this from happening again in the future, we are adopting a model based on what credit card companies do.  If we detect suspicious behavior on your account, or there is a reason to block any of your keys, we will attempt to contact you first.  That way, no keys will be blocked without trying to contact you first, so that unfortunate situations such as this can be avoided in the future.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Ted...None of my keys will activate
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Question: for those who've sent me keys, are you able to activate these keys?

I don't know if you have passed my own keys too but a few minutes ago while trying once again, all my Office Technet keys were still blocked.

And BTW what you mean by "suspicious behavior"? I, for example, have activated once two Office 2010 copies installed on my own machines, using the first two of my 20+ technet keys; The rest ones remain unused. How that could be considered as "suspicious behavior" and valid reason to block my keys? Sorry Ted, but doesnt make much sense to me. It all sounds like cheap excuses from activation server team.

And let's be honest Ted, why such a long delay to re-enable our keys? In a way or another we have paid these keys and we have any right to demand better support and faster response. With all due respect, giving insulting excuses and delaying for weeks isn't a very nice way to treat loyal customers and partners!

Anyway, thanks for your efforts to help; really appreciated that!

PS: I'm from Greece.

Athan

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:01 AM
  • I've been told that the activation server team is making progress on getting the big block of keys unblocked.  I've passed on the keys I've been sent, and I was told that they've either been unblocked or getting processed.

Question: for those who've sent me keys, are you able to activate these keys?

As to everybody else, unfortunately, I can only ask for your patience.  Feel free to send me one or two keys to get on the expedited unblock list.

The majority of users who've reported this are from Australia.  I'm curious if users in other countries are also hitting this?

I've also been told that to prevent this from happening again in the future, we are adopting a model based on what credit card companies do.  If we detect suspicious behavior on your account, or there is a reason to block any of your keys, we will attempt to contact you first.  That way, no keys will be blocked without trying to contact you first, so that unfortunate situations such as this can be avoided in the future.

Hi Ted, my keys are not able to activate yet, but you mailed me end of last week.

i am from the USA, and a friend of mine who had the same problem is from the Netherlands

all keys are working except the office 2010 keys

EDIT :  MY KEYS ARE WORKING AGAIN, Thanks Ted!

• Edited by markmg Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:57 PM KEYS WORKING
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:08 AM
  • @Ted Way, Does this issue also affect Office 2010 product keys generated by the Tech Guarantee program? I think so because I upgraded several copies of my Office Ultimate 2007 Academic to Office Professional Academic 2010 thru the Tech Guarantee program in 2010. Now 12 completely unused keys out of 20 are mistakenly blocked for activation! 8 product keys still work. And all my unused keys of Visio (8 to be exact) have been blocked. I contacted Microsoft support and Digital River dozens of times but they push the issue on each other.

The Tech Guanrantee program was administered through Digital River. I contacted Digital River 4 times but they say they only handle issues related to downloading from the website and therefore I am getting a runaround from Digital River to again contact Microsoft. Microsoft support keep telling me that Digital River somehow issued these product keys with blocked activation and the only way to fix the problem is by having Digital River issue new product keys. Digital River tell me to contact Microsoft.

At this URL: https://www1.downloadoffice2010.microsoft.com/row/registerkey.aspx?ref=pkc&country_id=IN&culture=en-GB where you can officially re-download Office in case you are reinstalling, all 12 of those keys are showing as invalid and the 8 Visio ones too, rest of the 8 Office 2010 keys are working.

Either the retail product key generator is faulty and generated invalid keys which expire after some time or MS has screwed up once again BIG TIME and is punishing genuine customers. If this issue of mine is not resolved, next time I will resort to piracy.

To ANY one looking to get Office 2010, AVOID DOING SO FROM ANY DIGITAL RIVER WEBSITE. They and Microsoft will cheat you. If you must get it online, get it from the Microsoft Store.

Another guy's case is EXACTLY LIKE MINE: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitpro/thread/1237df8c-46d1-4058-98b9-40939ca7caf0/. He could resolve his issue after several months by contacting Digital River and Microsoft on phone support. I am not in the US and there is no phone support in my region so I am stuck. MS is not unblocking my blocked keys, I don't know whom to contact or where to go to get my genuine keys unblocked.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:49 AM
  • My technet account expired 12 months ago - I couldn't afford to renew as my startup company never got off the ground.

I am still wanting to get a business going in the future and continue to tinker, experiment and learn about the MS software and development. I have just had to "rearm" my Office 2010 for my test rig after a rebuild I did a month ago. Windows 7 from technet installed and validated fine but Office is still a problem.

I am in Australia.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:23 AM
  • All my keys remain blocked, and people at technet@eu.subservices.com seem not knowing anything about this issue. Great...

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:37 PM
  • Hi Ted,

Tonight one of the keys for office successfully activated. No idea which serial but hey, thanks very much. Whatever is happening at your end is working.

I seem to move between Australia / UK / Russia & Ukraine but my technet sub is in OZ, so hoping the keys stay un-blocked. Friends have Technet UK subs and nobody has said anything to me yet (currently in the UK). I'll report back if I hear anything.

Thanks again for your hard work, everyone I have dealt with at Msoft has been completely professional and very easy to deal with although probably got passed on a lot at first (but again, nicely).

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Another week gone and my keys are still blocked :(
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Two weeks have passed and still all my Office 2010 keys remain blocked.

TechNet team says nonsense, Microsoft support seems knowing nothing about this issue and while I'm still waiting for a solution a Microsoft emailed survey asks me if I'm ...happy with their support and going to continue suggesting their services. What should I answer to remain polite?

Sunday, July 24, 2011 9:47 AM
  • At least 2 of my keys have been unblocked today
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:11 AM
  • One of my keys has been unblocked now also - haven't tried any more.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Is there any news on why they were blocked ?  i would really like to know how it was possible
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:01 AM
  • I'm having the same issue, I thought I was making typos but I'm sure I've tried all 10 keys now, they work while installing but fail activation stating that they are blocked, don't know why, none have ever been used. I see some people have keys that are now working, how did you do it. This is very frustrating and only happening with MSO2010. I'm in the US. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 12:26 AM
  • Having the same issue, have been for over a month now ..but really ..why should I hgave to contact Microsoft to get them to fix THEIR issue?

I'm happy to converse via email, however I refuse to call up and speak to someone that can barely speak English and be kept on hold for ages.

Monday, August 15, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Hi Ted, still not able to use my activation key. Are you still working on unblocking them?
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:07 AM
  • Does this really need to take longer than 2 and a half months? What's the deal? None of my keys work.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:10 PM
  • I am still having this issue. I just reinstalled windows last night and when trying to install Office (I got it from Technet, subscription expired) I get this same error. Could this possibly still be a a problem 8 months later?
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 2:10 PM
  • I have been patiently watching for a fix for this MS problem. 

What is the latest anyone heard from MS?  Over a year is ridiculous if this hasn't been corrected.

Friday, November 09, 2012 3:34 AM
  • Thank you - this information was very helpful in self-diagnosing an activation problem with one of my testbeds :)

Cheers,
    Luke

Sunday, April 07, 2013 5:08 AM