none
Exchange 2010 DAG - Disaster Recovery Plan

Question

• Hi

We have an Exchange 2010 DAG consisting 2 x VMware virtual servers and 1 physical server.  All servers have the mailbox, CAS and hub transport roles.  The virtual servers host 2 active databases each and 2 passive copies so we have 4 databases in total.  The physical server holds passive copies of each of the 4 databases on local HDD.

We have things covered in case of failure of our VMware environment, one of the individual servers or the SAN itself.  Now we need to plan what to do if we have to restore our Exchange environment on another site from backups i.e. if our building was flooded.  Assuming we have a fresh VMware environment and have restored one of our domain controllers into it can anyone give me some high level steps to restore the 2 virtual Exchange servers and the databases?

If it is relevant we back up the virtual servers and the Exchange databases separately using HP Data Protector.

Cheers!

Monday, March 26, 2012 1:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• If the original AD is intact, you can use the recoverserver option in Exchange:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638206.aspx

Recover a Database Availability Group Member Server

Once recovered, you can restore the databases from backup.

Also note that you can use database portability if the server is in the same org, but the server name is different for some reason.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876873.aspx

Monday, March 26, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Thanks for your quick reply.

Am I right in saying that to use the recoverserver option I would create 2 new servers with the original server names in VMware and then install Exchange with this switch?

What about the File Share Witness server - do I need to recover that too?

Thanks

Monday, March 26, 2012 1:51 PM
  • Thanks for your quick reply.

Am I right in saying that to use the recoverserver option I would create 2 new servers with the original server names in VMware and then install Exchange with this switch?

What about the File Share Witness server - do I need to recover that too?

Thanks

If AD is intact, then you wouldnt need to recreate the server objects. The assumption is that everything is in place in AD with the restored DC, only Exchange itself needs to be reinstalled. For that use the recoverserver switch and it will check AD during the Exchange setup to retrieve the existing settings.

You can recreate and define the FSW on any server that isnt in the DAG, so no need to recover it in the same way as the recoverserver switch does.

Monday, March 26, 2012 2:08 PM
  • To add to this, have you taken a look at Tim's content on TechNet - I think it will cover off a lot of your questions....

Rebuild an Entire Database Availability Group

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg513521.aspx 

Cheers, Rhoderick

• Marked as answer by Pielander Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:15 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2012 10:13 PM
  • Thanks for this link it is really useful and gives me enough info along with the previous reply to try it out in a lab.

Cheers!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Sorry one more question - step 3 ' Remove the database copies from the DAG' and step 4 'Remove the mailbox servers from the DAG' - where are these steps carried out i.e. on which server?  If the DAG servers aren't available and are being rebuilt in the next step I don't understand what these steps are doing.

Thanks

• Edited by Pielander Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:33 AM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Sorry one more question - step 3 ' Remove the database copies from the DAG' and step 4 'Remove the mailbox servers from the DAG' - where are these steps carried out i.e. on which server?  If the DAG servers aren't available and are being rebuilt in the next step I don't understand what these steps are doing.

Thanks

THese are logical steps. Note the use of the configurationonly switch in step 4. This is to remove the reference in AD.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Hi Pielander

Any update on this thread, please Mark As Answer and Finish this thread

Cheers

Zi Feng

Zi Feng

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Andy D,

How can I remove the mailbox servers from the DAG if I don't have any Exchange server to open the Exchange Management Shell and execute the cmdlets needed? Is it possible to Install the Exchange 2010 Management Tools on my personal notebook and use it to open the EMS and execute the commands needed?

Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:49 PM