none
Office 2010 Installed but office 2007 trial version was opening certain documents. Now 2007 uninstalled ALL existing excel documents now open blank.

Question

• When I purchased my laptop back in 2010, I bought the Office 2010 student and home software and installed it immediately. Unknown to me, there was already an office 2007 student and home trial edition installed. I became aware of this when I would occasionally download older word or excel files it would be opened in the 2007 version automatically. After 25 times of this occuring, I could no longer edit the software with the 2007 trial edition so I uninstalled the 2007 software. This has resulted in every existing word or excel file and every new word or excel file that I create on my laptop displaying an unknown file symbol. The word files still open directly through word 2010 despite displaying this symbol but I can only open the excel files by opening excel 2010 first and then opening the document. If somebody can help me with this issue then that would be great.

Kind regards.

mr007biggs

• Edited by mr007biggs Monday, June 04, 2012 8:37 AM
    Monday, June 04, 2012 8:36 AM

Answers

• Cause: When Office 2007 was un-installed, the file associations for Microsoft Office files (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access ...) were not changed to Office 2010. As a result, the system has no application specified to open the files - showing a unknown file symbol.

Solution: 

Method 1:

Go to Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista and later) > select Office 2010 [edition] > click Change (or Repair) > The Office 2010 setup opens, select repair option and continue.

Method 2 (in case Method 1 does not work):

1. (Windows XP) Start button > My Computer > Tools menu > Folder Options > File Types tab.

(Windows Vista and 7) Start button/Orb > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

2. Now go to each Office file extension (.xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, .doc, .docx and many others), click Change > select the Office program (you may need to browse for the applications using the Browse button, Microsoft Office 2010 is located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14).

Monday, June 04, 2012 12:08 PM