none
Excel 2010 Autosave location + time registry / GPO?

Question

• Hi,

So there is autorecover that can be set by a GPO, but this is different from autosave. Now with Excel 2010 and roaming profiles I've got the following that the autosave files ( NOT autorecover, these I've set and re-directed to H:\autorecover ) grow grow grow  and don't get deleted. This is obviously by design and so I've got a problem on our datacenter now. The customers who have been testing and migrated to Office 2010 have max. roaming profiles of 30MB, that's more than enough but not with Office 2010. I have tried to exclude the application data\Microsoft\Excel  from the roaming profile ( I know MS says application data isn't roaming, but it does, I never got why I read it that it isn't roamed ). By the way environment is 2003 TS + Citrix Xenapp.

Is there someone who can tell me where I can redirect and schedule autosaves? I'd like to do this the same way as autorecover, so redirect it and set it to 15 min.  Is this possible? Or is there another option to not roam these autosave files? 

How I tried to exclude it is thrue a GPO, I editted the default 2003 adm file which has the max lengt 260 character restriction of exclusions and set it to the post SP2 value of 4096, hereby I can add more then 260 characters in the "to exclude" directories  but this doesn't exclude the autosave stuff wich grows and grows and grows

Friday, February 18, 2011 8:53 PM

Answers

• It's the normal pop-up with the list of "big" files as we have since windows 2000 / NT , not any strange pop-up ( like this http://jaws1.win.psu.edu/labs/Windows/Help/Tips/pssExceeded.jpg ), now what I did was the following:

I excluded the path from the romaing profile, so that's application data\microsoft\excel.

I then got the Office 2003 users after me to shoot me, excel 2003 had a excel11.xlb file wich is just a file with the custom toolbars in it.

Step two is to get the old 2003 users happy again, I did that by making a vb script that I use as logoff script, this one just checks if the excel11.xlb exist and if so it just copies this file to a hidden directory on the users home drive.

Step 3 is to reverse the script and use it as a logon script.

So now by excluding the path and adding a script for the good old excell 2003 users everyone is pleased and after 1 month I can remove the scripts because all companies will be migrated to 2010 then. Hope that after a while we will be able to set that autosave just as we got after a while in Office 2007 where we first had to script the roaming of the Quick Access Toolbars. 

• Marked as answer by vandamage1 Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:53 PM
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:51 PM

All replies

• I'm having trouble understanding the situation - are you saying that you have Excel autosave files that are growing in size for users on a roaming profile? Please clarify.

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Excel Support

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:53 PM
  • What i have is:

A 2003 Terminal server environment, about 350 users using Office 2010 and applications that create xlsx files for them.

I set autorecover to H:\ExcelAutorecover\officeexcel2010 and the time on 10 min.

Autorecover files are being perfectly created on this H: location.

But then we obviously also have autosave files, these can't be redirected by any GPO or registry setting ( as far as I know ), these files are created under %userprofile%\application data\Microsoft\Excel  and are nothing but a subdirectory containing a copy of the original file.

When these are created from out of a normal excel instance and the instance is closed nicely by the user the file will disappear BUT if somehow excel crashes the file stays in that place what results in not being able to log off because the profile is too big.

So what I need is to redirect or disable this autosave part.

I'm trying to put in a call at MS but my name isn't corresponding with the name on the access-id  so I'll have to find out who's name is there and let him put in a call for me so I can pick this one up.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:15 AM
  • ok what I did was open up the system.adm  and changed the ExcludeProfileDirs MAXLEN  to MAXLEN 4096 , hereby I could exclude more directories from my roaming profile and have a bit space to get the autosave location fixed. So the problem about not able to logoff because of the big autosave files is "worked around" but I still would like to know if we are able to redirect or disable autosave, I'd like to redirect it to the same location as where I place the the autorecover files.

So let me ask it in an other way, is there someone in the world who can do the following:

set autorecover to 10 min, save it to somewhere  eg. homedrive\autorecover , then open up a big excel sheet, go get some coffee, take a walk and after a hour check back on your PC, check your homedrive\autorecover, there should be a file. Then check application data\microsoft\excel , are there also files? If yes, can anyone figure out how to redirect those to another place then application data\microsoft\excel.

Hope someone has some spare time to test this and see that autosave files exist and are not the same as auto recover and hopefully know any workaround to change this autosave location.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:09 AM
  • I understand the problem now. The autosave is saving to a static location and when Excel crashes the file is left behind which prevents a graceful logoff because the profile is too large.

Unfortunately there is no way I could find to change the location of the autosave file. As you discovered, the autorecover file location can be changed. I might instead suggest clearing off anything from the user's desktop that isn't a shortcut. Applications themselves should not be saved to the users' desktop as they can be quite large and run up the total space the profile uses.

What is the exact text of the error that you get when you try to log off and Windows tells you the profile is too big?

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Excel Support

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 8:53 PM
  • It's the normal pop-up with the list of "big" files as we have since windows 2000 / NT , not any strange pop-up ( like this http://jaws1.win.psu.edu/labs/Windows/Help/Tips/pssExceeded.jpg ), now what I did was the following:

I excluded the path from the romaing profile, so that's application data\microsoft\excel.

I then got the Office 2003 users after me to shoot me, excel 2003 had a excel11.xlb file wich is just a file with the custom toolbars in it.

Step two is to get the old 2003 users happy again, I did that by making a vb script that I use as logoff script, this one just checks if the excel11.xlb exist and if so it just copies this file to a hidden directory on the users home drive.

Step 3 is to reverse the script and use it as a logon script.

So now by excluding the path and adding a script for the good old excell 2003 users everyone is pleased and after 1 month I can remove the scripts because all companies will be migrated to 2010 then. Hope that after a while we will be able to set that autosave just as we got after a while in Office 2007 where we first had to script the roaming of the Quick Access Toolbars. 

• Marked as answer by vandamage1 Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:53 PM
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Hi, It Was really interesting to see that somebody else also has the same issue on this autosave optionn occupying profile space which is limited over a domain. Any concrete solutions you can suggest to get rid of it or atleast a work around. I'm not sure if changing the file location of the Autosave is gonna fix that as after a logoff login the autosave is going back to square one.. Excel files which are relatively very huge are busting user's profile storage space with errors and just doesnt allow the user to work. thanks Prabin
    Friday, March 11, 2011 4:23 AM
  • yeah so as I said, I at the end excludes the application data\microsoft\excel path, wich allowed the users to just logoff nicely . Any Old version Office user ( 2003 ) has got a direct problem at that moment because the toolbar xlb file will also be lost this way. For those oldies I created a logoff script to secure some files and a restore script that I gave them as logon script. This way everyone ( users, managers, administrators and me as "rocket scientist" ) is happy for now.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:58 PM