none
microsoft office professional plus 2010 encountered an error during setup

Question

• I am running into this error when trying to install Office 2010. There is no detail provided about what the error is or how to fix it. I have spent more than an hour googling around and trying various fixes (WMI service issue, Microsoft Help folder renaming, disabling user account controls, not selecting an optional component, a few others) that people suggest, but have not been able to get anything to work.

I am frankly appalled that Microsoft's approach to software installation has become so shoddy.

Any suggestions on how to get this software to install would be appreciated.

B.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:24 PM

Answers

• I ran the first command (after adjusting it to reflect the location of icacls.exe on my system, which was different). The second command would not run (some sort of error about the winevt\logs folder. In any event, nothing changed; and Office 2010 would still not install.

So I figured that I would have to uninstall Office 2003 (I was trying to upgrade and was hoping that my settings would be preserved) before trying the installation again. I went into Control Panel to try and see and backup my mail account settings, but found that the attempts to install 2010 had corrupted my 2003 installation, despite the rollbacks, and the mail control panel item would not load. So I had no choice but to uninstall 2003, which I had to do via the fixit tool since the control panel uninstall seemed to have gotten corrupted also.

I uninstalled 2003 and 2010 successfully installed. And, my settings for email accounts and mail folders seem to have been preserved after all, even after the uninstallation of 2003.

So I guess I am all set, despite having lost a few hours that I will never get back again.

B.

• Marked as answer by barry.t Monday, November 19, 2012 2:56 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 2:55 PM

All replies

• First of all, please make sure your system meet the system requirement for Office 2010, typically, Windows XP 64-bit is not supported.

See:

System requirements for Office 2010
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624351(v=office.14).aspx

If you are attempting to install Office 2010 Professional Plus on a Dell machine,

check this first: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2102327

Since there may be one or more failed installations, we'd recommend to remove the components that remain from these installations.

The utility provided in the following support article would help:

How to uninstall or remove Microsoft Office 2010 suites
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 

Better to turn off the other applications when run setup. For your situation, we'd recommend to reboot Windows in clean boot mode to perform the setup.

See:

How to perform a clean boot...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

If the error persists, I'll feel sorry for that, but we may try to follow the instructions in this blog article to find more detail of the error:

Troubleshooting Office installation failures
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2010/12/30/troubleshooting-office-installation-failures.aspx

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support
    A new Office has arrived, try it now.
    A beautiful Start. It begins here. Windows 8 and Windows RT.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:56 PM
  • None of that was particularly helpful.

So I have looked through the log files referenced in the last troubleshooting article mentioned (which I had seen previously, but couldn't believe that Microsoft is leaving users in a situation of having to wade through 60MB of log files to identify and diagnose why a software product won't install, but that's another question).

Anyway, the problems seems to start with this from the main log file:

Error: Failed to install product: C:\MSOCache\All Users\{91140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C\ProPlusrWW.msi ErrorCode: 1603(0x643).
         Log level changed from: Standard to: Verbose
         Rolling back chain

and then in the ProPlusrWW log file I find this:

MSI (MSI (s) (90:50) [18:05:46:895]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIB0D1.tmp, Entrypoint: WriteRegistry2
         WriteRegistry2:  Error 0x80070002: failed to open to delete key: TypeLib\{4AFFC9A0-5F99-101B-AF4E-00AA003F0F07}\9.0
         WriteRegistry2:  Error 0x80070002: failed to write to the registry
         WriteRegistry2:  Error 0x80070002: failed to write to registry
         MSI (s) (90:D4) [18:05:46:935]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=RollbackRegistryOnUninstall,,)

which appears to be start of rolling back everything. I can't find anything online about the 0x80070002 error, but the 1603(0x643) error seems to be associated with a number of possible solutions, some of which I have already tried but did not help.

Is it possible to pin down exactly what is going wrong here?

Thanks.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:04 PM
  • Hi Barry,

The error code 0x80070002 usually indicate that there is insufficient permission to perform some action. Here it is having trouble with writting/deleting registry keys.

For this issue, please make sure that:

• No other 3rd-party application is running during the setup progress, especially the anti-virus software.
    • Setup is run with administrator permission.

Still try to execute the following command and test the installation again.

%windir%\system32\icacls.exe %windir%\system32\winevt\ /grant "nt service\trustedinstaller":F /grant "nt service\local service":F /grant administrators:F /grant system:F /T >%temp%\icacls.log
    %windir%\system32\icacls.exe %windir%\system32\winevt\logs /grant "Authenticated Users":M /T >%temp%\icacls.log

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support
    A new Office has arrived, try it now.
    A beautiful Start. It begins here. Windows 8 and Windows RT.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:31 AM
  • I ran the first command (after adjusting it to reflect the location of icacls.exe on my system, which was different). The second command would not run (some sort of error about the winevt\logs folder. In any event, nothing changed; and Office 2010 would still not install.

So I figured that I would have to uninstall Office 2003 (I was trying to upgrade and was hoping that my settings would be preserved) before trying the installation again. I went into Control Panel to try and see and backup my mail account settings, but found that the attempts to install 2010 had corrupted my 2003 installation, despite the rollbacks, and the mail control panel item would not load. So I had no choice but to uninstall 2003, which I had to do via the fixit tool since the control panel uninstall seemed to have gotten corrupted also.

I uninstalled 2003 and 2010 successfully installed. And, my settings for email accounts and mail folders seem to have been preserved after all, even after the uninstallation of 2003.

So I guess I am all set, despite having lost a few hours that I will never get back again.

B.

• Marked as answer by barry.t Monday, November 19, 2012 2:56 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 2:55 PM